• Last visited

• Days Won

vanessan last won the day on June 28 2020

vanessan had the most liked content!

4,374 Excellent

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

4,450 profile views
  1. Just seen a bit of a video of the sunken boat and I’m not convinced it is blocking the navigation completely. I think it is the little boat that has been moored right at the downstream end of the moorings for some while but not actually on the public moorings. Hopefully the Sutton businesses will not be too affected.
  2. Seems that a boat has sunk and is blocking the entrance to the dyke moorings and boatyard etc. Info from faceache.
  3. It was yes but others seemed to latch on to the dog bit too. Thought if the OP clarified it other suggestions might be forthcoming.
  4. I think Winterton has one of the best beaches and dunes for walking. You haven’t actually said if you have a dog but the beach etc there is very dog-friendly. Good pub and fish and chip shop in the village too.
  5. And creating considerable wash in the safety boats! A while ago we contacted the Whitlingham Trustees to see what the score was re the moorings. They said at the time that they were due to be brought back into use so I guess it’s happening now. We’ve been past a few times this year and the condition of the moorings is questionable as I don’t think they’ve been touched since BA gave them up. Interestingly, a couple of small ‘no mooring’ signs had popped up. Not sure if these were put there by the trustees or the frequent visitors/liveaboards. As to a £10 overnight charge, it’s a good way of getting more daytime visitors to the park.
  6. All sounds a bit like Ranworth/Malthouse and Surlingham/Bargate, no doubt there are many others with ‘dual nationality’. As a local, I’m sure you are right in your thinking.
  7. I have yet to find ‘Pennygate Staithe anywhere on a ‘historic’ map. Admittedly I have heard/seen it mentioned before but I wonder how much is due to the Bart Turf sign as you enter the village. I believe it to be a finger post underneath the Barton Turf wording, one finger pointing to the Staithe and the other to Pennygate, the next hamlet along the road. Having said all that, we know the area in question and the BA Staithe mooring itself is a sad loss.
  8. Surely it’s Barton Turf not Pennygate?
  9. Sorry guys, I saw it first and have the right name to go with the boat. Not the money though! ☹️ Certainly is a beautiful vessel, often seen it at St Olaves and drooled.
  10. I know the Langley moorings were very popular with many forum members who were disappointed when they were given up by the BA. We’ve recently had a couple of nights there, booking through the Langley Staithe website - langleystaithe.co.uk . It’s a really easy process, you can choose your mooring (there are 8) according to the length of your boat and payment online is easy. I know some don’t like paying but it is of course a personal choice. To be able to continue to enjoy the peace and quiet of Langley Dyke is great. The only downside is that the refuse bins have gone ☹️.
  11. Tingdene do advertise visitor moorings at WRC, I believe they are on the river frontage. Mouldy’s post from yesterday says they are taped off at present.
  12. Handy for running an electric fan!
  13. Experienced boaters will certainly do just that. Inexperienced boaters are usually unaware of the conditions and attempt to bring the boat in to the first gap they see quite oblivious to what wind and tide are doing. The Reedham rangers are great, shouting out instructions and guidance and grabbing ropes. Bumps still happen though. We stop at Reedham up to a dozen times each year but it’s always a quick visit these days.
  14. I know what PaulN means. Each time we have moored at Reedham for more than a water stop, we have been bumped. Mainly by novices although a private boat had a go last year. A few years back we had a real bash when a hire boat tried to leave the mooring early morning with the wind and tide behind him, thought he could drive off like in a car. It caused a lot of damage to our hull. It’s always a quick stop at Reedham these days.
  15. Used to love listening to Wally on Radio Norfolk early morning. He usually said something amusing about boating and tides. I remember one morning, he talked about a guy he had met, at Reedham I think it was. Turned out the chap was a member of the Broads Authority. During the conversation the chap told Wally quite categorically that the broads and rivers were not tidal. Try as he might, Wally was apparently unable to convince him otherwise 😏. I also remember a weatherman called Stan, he had a broad Norfolk accent and was wonderful to listen to.

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.