One For Howard To Ponder Over, Sheffield Claims Better Ale Than Norwich

Ha, ha, yes I had seen that Alan :-)

But knowing you are a Sheffield boy I would be much too diplomatic to state a preference. :cool:

Sheffield does have some cracking pubs including the original Fat Cat and the Kelham Island Tavern to name but two. York also has some superb pubs and beer, as does Nottingham and Derby. So I'll sit on the fence and just be very grateful that we have such a wealth of good beer these days. Far cry from the seventies. 

I do have a soft spot for Norwich though :kiss

cheersbar

• Like 1

Hi Iain,

Sheffield used to be famous for quite a few things back in the day, sadly like so many cities an awful lot of industry has gone.

There is a small amount of cutlery and still some silversmiths in Sheffield but the heydays are long forgotten, most if not all the "Little Misters" have gone. When I was an electrical apprentice, we had contracts with many of the steelworks in the East End, Most of these works had their own shunting engines, Firth Brown, Firth Rixon etc were a delight  to wander through, massive metal  lathes with beds over 50 and 100 foot long, the operators seat was fixed above the work head, A number of my friends worked for some of these companies and thought they had a job for life, sadly not the case.

A number of friends worked at Viners, my best man and my good mate, was a metal smith there, he worked for them from leaving school and was there almost to the end. He still went into a number of firms doing some peace work with the silver trade, even though he was a self employed driving instructor.  At one time he was one of the 2 people that could mig-weld pewter effectively. He is now a postman awaiting retirement. 

Sheffield is the home of Swann Morton who produce surgical steel, if you see a scalpel more than likely it will be one of their blades.

I am currently watching a session of one of the best things to come out of Sheffield, The Crucible and the World Snooker championship.   

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Don't forget the Riverside , ale house , On match day after visiting Kelham island and the  fat cat.  sitting  in the beer garden, looking along the river don, with a slight glint in your eye . You could actually be on the Norfolk broads :shocked We all get our fixes some how :bow

• Like 2