Camping Sites?

Happy

:wave Hi guys.  As some of you will know we have recently given up boating on the 'Broads' after many years for various reasons and purchased a motorhome.

We were based 'down south' and are aware of a few riverside camp sites down there but don't really know 'the north' (apart from rivers!) that well. and wonder if any members can provide details of any camping sites close to riverside moorings up there?

Look forward to any help you can give.  Regards Alan. cheers

There is one beside Eastwood Whelptons yard at Upton, not sure if is controlled by them. A very pleasant spot with lovely views over there fields, and riverside walks. Plus five or six minutes walk to the White Horse.

• Like 1

The campsite at Womack is just across the grass from the Staithe itself, so it has good direct launching access, but there is no slipway. It's on a slight upward slope, so it gives good views of the Staithe and moorings. It's a CL site though, so has limited facilities.

The one at Potter is about a quarter of a mile from the river, towards the village.

There's another CL site at Ludham along  Staithe Road, but that is a half mile walk from the nearest  water (back at Womack), because "Staithe Road" has no water access now despite the name.

The two at Ludham Bridge are the field belonging to the Dog Inn itself, open to Caravans and Camping, and the big Caravan Club site between the Pub and the Bridge. That one does not allow camping, and is CC members only. It is the best equipped though, with hard standing serviced pitches.

The only other actual waterside caravan/camping site on the Northern Broads that I know of is Bureside, at Oby Dyke, on the Thurne, just below Thurne Dyke.

That is not tied to any particular club and does have direct launching access.

http://www.bureside.com/

:wave Hi folks and thanks for the replies.  I can now start to work out where and when we can meet up with our mates on their boat  up north.  I might even take the new inflatable and outboard that I bought to put on the boat but never used.  And yes, before anyone mentions it, I will get a temporary licence!!  Thanks again.  Alan. :Stinky

Upton is fine for light craft like a blow up job, but it is a wooden slip that you have to lower a trailer down by rope - don't even try to get a bit of your car on it!! I normally just put a rope round the tow bar and lower it down by hand and when retrieving do the same, but once your boat is on the trailer tie off and drive away to get it to the top of the slip.

If your thinking of doing it all manually with no trailer it does get very slippery, so you might still need a rope round a sturdy object to hang onto - if not please get someone to video it and share the footage.:dance

You still really have a boat really - it just doesn't float and you don't have to pay the Broads Tolls any morecheers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

Upton is fine for light craft like a blow up job, but it is a wooden slip that you have to lower a trailer down by rope - don't even try to get a bit of your car on it!! I normally just put a rope round the tow bar and lower it down by hand and when retrieving do the same, but once your boat is on the trailer tie off and drive away to get it to the top of the slip.

If your thinking of doing it all manually with no trailer it does get very slippery, so you might still need a rope round a sturdy object to hang onto - if not please get someone to video it and share the footage.:dance

You still really have a boat really - it just doesn't float and you don't have to pay the Broads Tolls any morecheers

Thanks for that, I'll get the wife to keep the camera handy!  Not just saving the tolls, £1500+ for moorings!  Regards Alan.

• Like 1

Not broads but if you like a riverside campsite have a search for the eynesbury camping and caravan site at the coneygere, it's on the gt.ouse in a fairly civilised town with a good riverside park(campsite is on the river too), it's my local river and I can tell you where the cheapest pub is.

I've heard good reports about it from others that have to travel to get there(takes me 5 mins on a pushbike).

• Like 1

Good site at Bureside (Boundary Farm).  Slipway that can be used by campers, which gives access to the dyke that emerges just below Thurne Mouth (where the Boundary Farm and Thurne Mouth BA 24 hour moorings used to be).  Site has a swimming pool (if the weather ever improves) and is spacious and quiet.

• Like 1