Barton Turf

Drewby

I spent a lovely evening at Barton Turf last night , there was a band playing at a house near Coxs yard could have been a party as there was a lot of cars at the staithe car park.

This morning I woke at 5.30 , looked out of the window to a nice day but had to take a second look, it was a different view ,I was at the end of Paddys lane on the opposite side, if I hadn't woken at that time l may have made it to the Ant.

One ore two of the party revellers may have thought it was a good idea to make a bit of room at the staithe or to give all the boats and dinghys a head start in the morning , luckily they didn't release the boats on Paddys Lane or it would have been chaos.

Before setting off I deemed it wise to check the mooring ropes as to avoid a tangled prop but to my surprise the were placed remarkably tidy on the boat.

i found it quite amusing and no damage was done to my boat but I suppose it could have been more serious had I drifted to the Ant.

just  thought I'd share this with you all.

Andy

• Like 2

I would have found that very unnerving. Fortunately you don't hear of it happening too often. But even so ... odd about the neatly coiled ropes. And not something I would have expected in that location either.

Must admit when I read that my first thought was is wasn't kids, I love mooring there and just by luck because I wanted to take some short videos, I went and bought a Car Cam from E/bay for £19 if I put in a 32 gb memory card it can record up to 14hrs continiuos, so it will be recording overnight when I moor anywhere dodgy, I can't expect too much for £19 but it's 1080 full HD with low light level night vision but even if it deters someone it will be worth the money,,

If you want to have any form of deterrent it needs to be viable - I am sorry, but a dashcam in the screen of a boat would likely look an attractive thing to steal than act as a form deterrent. People of such low life thinking the owners of the boat had left it by mistake suckered to the window and would be a handy thing to get and easy to sell as these types of cameras are popular.

If you can't have actual CCTV then get a decent dummy one - just leave the battery out so the flashing red "I am a fake CCTV light" does not give the game away. 

Something like this for all the world looks like the real thing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JOB3AVC  

413FJ5Zp6UL._SY355_.jpg

• Like 1

Setting boats adrift during the night became  a fairly regular occurrence a few years back when we were on the Ouse. We had a personal alarm that made an extremely loud screeching noise if you pulled the cord out of  the bottom of it.my husband used to fix it in the cock pit and attach a very fine line to the cord and  the other end to the mooring ring/cleet thus if the boat moved away from the bank it would pull the cord out and sound the alarm. It help us to sleep more soundly without worrying.

Edited by addicted
Typing error

I used to do a similar thing in my Cars before they came with built in alarms, I used to fit a small red flashing light from Halfords and fit it in my dash and put alarmed stickers in the side windows, never had a car nicked even though a few neighbours did, so the don't know if it is or not alarmed theory does work in detering them,

Meant to say you can buy similar ones like Robins from E/Bay for around £3.00

• 2 weeks later...

We moored at Barton Turf last night. We arrived at 7pm and there was 1 boat down the side. Loads of room for more boats. 

Everywhere else like Neatishead and Gays Staithe was full. Even the moorings across the river was full. As a second level of safety we put our mudweight down. Had a lovely night. 

• Like 1