Richardsons RC45 and RC35

Hi Mark,

we still only have 2 pattern makers on the job full time and they are not involved with the hire fleet, soon to be joined by another two who built the hull but have been sidetracked by some french boats!

The dodgey lines are reflections of the extraction ducting.

Hi Jonny,

the screens will probably have to be held up with stays..

• 2 weeks later...

hi clive and thanks for the update, she really is taking shape. i no this sounds a stupid question but do you have to repeat this process for evey design. or do you just cut things to size from the first mould? and how many man hours will it take to get to the first mould being produced ready for fitting out,

thanks andy

Hi Andy,

the hull for all 45 foot versions will be the same, the centre cockpit superstructure will be chopped about and added to to make the single level design by using the whole deck ring and the aft end, we will then extend the rear coach roof in either fiberglass or wood, add a couple of sliding hatches and a front well and job done, easy as that (not really that easy!)

Other styles will also have common parts to the superstructures and when the 36foot versions come along they will basically be shorter but the centre cockpit will have a shorter wheelhouse and coachroof to loose the length.

One major problem we will have when it comes to make the shorter versions is that the slope of the sheer makes life harder as there is no parallel section as with other designs where you just slide the transom along or cut a mid section out.

Hi Clive

Really impressed with the attention to detail They are going to be beautiful boats and much in demand. Next year will definitely look at hiring one. A couple of questions though mainly from two of my colleagues who are Typhoon pilots:-

How big will the flight deck be and what armament will she be carrying?

Regards

James

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Clive, So, there`ll be 35 & 45ft centre cockpit versions, i`m assuming the 36 ft version will be the sedan version (though i could be completely wrong?), and did you say there`ll be a fixed high top flying bridge model?. Also, will the hull design in any length variants suit a fwd drive version, and if so, will you be making one?. It`s good to see the project progressing, especially when you see how much your guys have put in already with all the extra French boats etc. I hope you will post some more photo`s soon. Regards .................... Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

One thing i will ask which i`d forgotten about, Will the double berths be standard 4ft 6inch wide like at home, or will they be smaller due to interior space constraints. The reason i ask is because all too often when you hire a boat, they virtually ALL have narrow double beds, which i never get comfortable in. Regards ..................... Neil.

Rod,

We are paying great attention to water draining from the screen bases at the moment! I can tell you the reason other models seem to gather water, it is because it is a chore to deal with!

Neil,

the next version will probably be the single level as we already have the deck ring and rear end which will be the same as the centre cockpit, we have designed it with a choice of peaks (long and short) I wont get into that model too far just yet though..

the sedan will be 36foot but is a little way off as yet and a centre cockpit 36 is an option but we dont know when.

thanks for taking the time to reply clive guess you guys are really bizzy this time of the year. any pics of the completed hull yet, thanks again

Hi Andy,

this is as close to a finished hull as we will see at the moment, it is finished but is being left in the mould to keep its shape while we make moulds for the floor bearers and internal mouldings.

post-503-136713738327_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713738342_thumb.jpg

hi clive and thanks again, must say i love the seat on the stern thats such a good idea. johnys right she does look very lush, the stern section really does have lovely flowing lines. lookes like she really will sit low in the water. not so sure on the front section yet. but diffrent is good. thanks again clive, andy

just catching up a bit with my photos, these were taken last week...

you can see that the handrail stanchions have been moved to even them up a bit as on the drawings it only shows the positions for the shorter versions which does not look right..

the engine hatch has also been changed as we felt that getting the engine in would be a bit tight and did not see the point in pulling a new engine apart only to put it together again to install it, also we have removed the side of the hatch at the side so that the front of the engine can be seen and worked on which also means more room to swing the engine in to place with. I am not sure if this is the third or fourth time this has been reworked but hope it is the last !

The next obvious change is the toerails, they have been put on at the front but are on on the starboard side and will be down the port side this week.

there has also been a fair bit of radius filling going on which is a bit of a slow process as it has to be done twice due to shrinkage and also there is a lot to do!

post-503-136713748205_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713748221_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713748235_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713748531_thumb.jpg

hi clive,when do you think you will be releasing info on the new boat ie prices dates etc. i only ask as i spoke to my brother about booking her for next year he called me back to say he couldnt find any info on yours or hoseasons websites ( forgot to tell him he should look on here :oops: ) just dont want to miss the boat,so to speak ;)

andy

Hiya Clive mate, haven't spoken for a while, but I've been watching the progress of the boat. Clive I think she's going to be a stunner, congratulations and well done to the crew of builders, you must be very proud of them.

Baz cheersbar

Hi Clive

just a quick fire question..

with the RC35 & 45 will you be copper bottoming them as with anti found you have to replace it every couple of years will you be adopting this method for your new build to save future costs?

Jonny ice sliceice slice

Being one of the lucky owners of one of those 1992 ex hire boats I could never fully understand the decision. The boat has been out of the water twice in the last six years. Each time it comes out cleaner than many boats go back in. In 18 years it has never been antifouled. By now it would probably have had 6 applications of anti-foul, all worn away and deposited in the rivers. I never fully appreciated the significance of the copper cladding when the broker mentioned it. But having kept the boat for six years now, and having saved a small fortune in lift outs and anti-foul, the benefits are mounting up. Compared to the amount of anti-foul saved, which is truely the most enviromentally unfriendly?

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Keith, I think you`ll find the decision was made by beaurocrats who did`nt want to look like they were doing nothing about the environment in front of a bunch of no nothing self believing idiots. As a result, you now have the situation where everybody has to use other forms of anti fouling which is more unenvironmentally friendly, not to mention time and cost sonsuming, which in itself is unenvironmentally friendly. Regards ............ Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I forgot to add, think of the financial saving for hirefleets and especially Richardsons being the largest fleet going, if it was still an option. Every extra cost gets passed on to the customer, so if copper bottoms were an option, they`d be able to make a reduction in the hire fee. Good news for the customer or what?. Regards .................. Neil.