Chedgrave Moorings Lodden

Hylander

I may well be firing up some dead embers but I make no apology for that! And I think the point I am about to make is relevant to all posters, not just the "members"!

" It,s easy to keep a boat clean and tidy, giving other people a good impression and opinion of you! In which case people will not assume the worst and leave you in peace."

I think this statement is the height of arrogance and not at all considerate of individual peoples abilities. If your boat is near to trees or any overgrowing vegetation it is not at all "easy" to keep clean. It seems to take no time at all for the "green" to attack a boat and, if you are adjacent to a roadway or busy footpath there will also be dust which sticks infernally when its wet! Even a 20 foot cruiser takes some effort to clean externally when you include the hull. Even when armed with all the latest gizmos and lotions! Add to this that the owner may well live some considerable distance from the boat.

So please don't make any mistaken assumptions when you spy a boat in a less than pristine condition.

• Like 3

My boat was in suspended animation for 2 years :(, while I Saved for it to be re-engined :love and then taken away for the work. About every three months, I spent hours cleaning the northern side just to have it go green again very rapidly. The boat yard then power washed the entire hull and deck prior to antifouling... it's green again:wave..

I hope to get the boat back soon, then it's me back to the cleaning

There are plenty of land dwellers who let their properties and gardens go. Again many reasons why. One is laziness, but then again I'm sure old age, depression, temporary illness, extremely busy at work etc etc all play a part at times. I find it best not to judge by appearances until you know the circumstances.

• Like 4

I think there's some sort of Loddon Fete taking place this weekend at Pye's Mill? When we were there two weeks ago, there were 5 "liveaboards", but only signs of life on one of them. As Mr Furbank says, not to judge on first impressions, but it did make me feel a little uncomfortable. We also got into conversation with a chap living on his boat at Burgh Castle. He had a sad tale to tell, and we felt quite sorry for his predicament, which was no fault of his own making. Life just dealt him blow after blow, which he couldn't deal with. A friendly, polite man, brought low by circumstance. "There, but for the grace of God, go I".

• Like 9

20 hours ago, kfurbank said:

There are plenty of land dwellers who let their properties and gardens go. Again many reasons why. One is laziness, but then again I'm sure old age, depression, temporary illness, extremely busy at work etc etc all play a part at times. I find it best not to judge by appearances until you know the circumstances.

I tidied our front garden a few weeks back, using the petrol strimmer, time is a big consideration, at the moment I dont have any spare time during the week, as by the time I get home, have tea, and am ready to start anything its starting to get dark.

At the weekend 2 hours spent gardening just about keeps the allotment more presentable - just keeping weeds down (and that was with the strimmer too, the rest of the weekend is allocated to other essential tasks- shopping - doing washing for work next week etc.