Chedgrave Moorings Lodden

Hylander

Are these 24 hr moorings.   If so how come there are some tatty old wrecks moored there.    They were there when we left on holiday on the 17th of June and they were still in exactly the same state and place when we returned on the 30th June.      If it is a 24 hr BA mooring why have these boats not been moved on.    They are an eyesore.

• Like 1

There are three moorings in that area as far as I know. The stern on moorings in the basin opposite what used to be Aston's. Then there is Pye's mill on the right as you leave Loddon. Finally about quarter of a mile further on the left is Chedgrave Common which I'm assuming is the one Hylander is on about.

Loddon and Chedgrave are listed on the BA website as 24 he moorings. Pye's mill is not listed but can be found on the Loddon.org website and is described as an amenity area and free 24 he moorings. I'm guessing these are parish owned.

Sorry not down in the basin but the long nice moorings.   Not the 24 hr mooring further along the Chet.

Strikes me that if they are Parish owned, then the Parish cannot have much pride to allow such tatty old heaps to moor there.    It does nothing for Lodden which is a pretty place.

The boat at the very end of the Pye's Mill moorings has been there for over a year. The small one near it arrived earlier this year I believe as did the rather large old centre cockpit one which is moored in the middle of that stretch. I too am surprised the PC are allowing permanent moorings along this stretch, it does nothing to enhance the area rather the opposite.

• Like 1

Pyes Mill moorings are owned by the Parish Council. The first boat you meet as you approach the moorings from the Yare end has now been there for a least 3 years and is chained to a fence post at the stern. Having just spent a couple of days there, there are at least 4 more liveaboards on the mooring but only two have shown any sign of life.I guess they will stay there until the Parish Council moves them on or they get fed up and find another mooring 

Boycee

two guns

• Like 1

I wonder how difficult it is for a PC to get boats moved on. Probably the same problems as the BA has at Thorpe! I hadn't realised the end boat had been there that long but it's certainly a while now. We have moored at Pye's Mill 4/5 times recently and have noticed the engine of the boat in the middle running for a while every time. Never seen any sign of life on the boat at the end though. I do hope it doesn't become another 'Thorpe' situation as those moorings are very popular.

• Like 1

Moored at Chedgrave a few weeks ago and walked into Loddon. Just on the bend at the start of Pyes mill moorings but on the Chedgrave side is an outfall. Tied there is a small blue boat a smidge larger than a day boat.  It's tied in such a placed that no one can board and there is a dogs bowl on the back. That is a bluff to prevent boarders as a close look inside will show some well known plants normally seen in well lit lofts. As we all know boats can get bloomin hot if not vented, ideal I expect. 

We were at Chedgrave a few days ago where the said small blue boat was moored just off the edge of the mooring.  During the afternoon along came the owner with two dogs.  He was scrambling all over the boat trying to get in the back when he fell off the into the water - twice!  I jumped off our boat to grab his rope, which he had already released, but was still on the side and pulled it in and he managed to scramble on.  He eventually got  one dog on, but the other refused to jump.  To say he was all over the  place is an understatement and at one point veered across the river into the reeds.  He eventually got the other dog on and I must admit we were glad to see the back of him.  We were a bit worried about getting too involved as he seemed a bit 'unpredictable'.    He went off in the direction of Loddon and moored just in front of the first live aboard boat, so I guess that was home.  If we see the boat there again, we would think twice about mooring there.

Sometime in May, I saw two lads out in that small blue boat fishing (yes it was May), they were moored bankside downstream of the Chedgrave moorings. By evening it was back moored in the reeds. Maybe it is owned by a family.

I heard locally that there are/were some unsavoury types (druggies was the term used) mooring in the boatyard on the loddon side nearest the BA basin (is this the old astons yard?).   I dont know exactly what the yard is known as now, it is road accesed from opposite the chip shop on the main street. 

Apparently they are/were generally letting the place down and causing something of a nuisance to other moorers in the yard.  This was a few months ago now and ive not heard if they are still around recently.  I do wonder if they are connected to anything thats been mentioned in this thread. 

Quite often we have been aware of a boat moving around in the dark in that area, probably nothing but my suspicious mind often wonders if they are just out for the fishing.

I do have to agree that the parish moorings are being rather let down by the vessels that appear derelict but someone must be paying a mooring fee for them or I would hope they'd have been removed by now. 

4 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Don't take it gospel but I was under the impression that the old Astons (Princess) yard is/was owned by our friend of Beauchamp Berney Golden Galleon fame. 

If Dave Pipe is still about, he worked at Princess Cruisers, may know for sure.

cheersIain

• Like 1

I think best to conclude the hearsay on this thread. Although it's unacceptable for people to overstay on 24 hour moorings, I'm sure everyone is well aware and are managing the situation. Local authorities are hardly helping themselves by their reluctance to provide residential berths (well out the way of normal cruising grounds). If you spot suspicious activity etc I'm sure a call to the authorities is the best course. If you see a livaboard feel free to talk to them.. most I find are quite normal (yeah some are a bit strange even by my standards (and I'm weird)) and most just want a peaceful life like you and I..

• Like 5

Hi all,

while I do think that many liveaboards are honest hard working decent people, looking at the boats mentioned, and some of the boats that were moored at Thorpe Island, it,s not unreasonable for some, including me, to think these people may be of dubious character. It,s easy to keep a boat clean and tidy, giving other people a good impression and opinion of you! In which case people will not assume the worst and leave you in peace. However, if people see the boats in question, and others like them, and the occupants are scruffy like the boats, people are always likely to treat them with suspicion. If however all these junk heaps were tidied up, or people were seen to be at least trying to get them up to a decent standard, the occupants would be far less likely to face criticism.

On 04/07/2016 at 5:51 PM, Bound2Please said:

Oh dear life is far to short...

Maybe this thread should be shut....... before we get into a them an us ....

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Why do you think this thread should be shut?, is it because you don`t like others views?.  Is`nt that what forums are about?, people posting their views on a variety of topics?. Or do you think this forum should go down the route that we should only be able to put posts that only agree with the op for fear of lively discussion and debate, or do what this forum has done best for many years, and that`s allow a sometimes robust and in depth discussion, no matter what side of the fence you sit on?.  I`m all for moderation, but in moderation (great punn eh?)

18 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I`m all for moderation, but in moderation (great punn eh?)

Hi Neil,

Charlie said maybe, so not a deffo. Yes I too enjoy lively debate, as long as its within the forum rules. When I read the early posts on this subject, I said to myself, let us see where this goes. My own opinion (mod hat off )it has not changed, yet.

cheersIain

• Like 3