Catfield

macroft1

Our home mooring is at Whispering Reeds at the top of Hickling Broad. 

I would like to go and have a look at Catfield and wondered if there's any problems in getting there. 

Is the channel off Hickling clearly marked? Is the dyke easy to navigate? is it worth it? etc......... 

I like to do my homework before setting out so any advice would be appreciated. 

Regards, 
Mark

I haven't been there for ages but yes, It's quite clearly marked. Head out from Whispering reeds and keep an eye out for the yellow/black marker post on your starboard side, it's about 5 minutes cruise from the yard.

It doesn't matter which side of that marker post you go but I'd get to within two or three boat lengths (25 yards) before turning. You will see two marker bouys (one red, one green) near the edge of the broad. Aim straight for them, when you get close You will see Catfield Dyke entrance and Bob's your uncle.

If you choose to walk to the Crown in Catfield from the dyke, I'd be interested in knowing how long it takes you. Looks like miles to me!!!

Edited by MauriceMynah
Spelling & Typos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I haven't been there for ages but yes, It's quite clearly marked. Head out from Whisprting reeds and keep an eye out for the yellow/black marker post on your starboard side, it's about 5 minutes cruise from the yard.

It doesn't matter which side of that marker post you go but I'd get to within two or three boat lengths (25 yards) before turning. You will see two marker bouys (one red, one green) near the edge of the broad. Aim straight for them, when you get close You will see Catfield Dyke and Bob's your uncle.

If you choose to walk to the Crown in Catfield from the dyke, I'd be interested in knowing how long it takes you. Looks like miles to me!!!

I've seen that black and yellow marker post and did wonder what it was for. Now I know thanks.

Just measured the walking distance to the pub on Google Earth - less than a mile!

Is it worth the effort?

A couple of weeks ago we headed up to West Somerton and whilst the place is very nice the passage up there made me nervous. The massive amount of weed makes it look very shallow and you wouldn't want to meet a boat coming the other way.

I would say if anything there is less at the end of Catfield Dyke than there is at West Somerton, much further to the pub. It will be narrow and probably weedy but if you are after peace and quiet, I reckon it'll be ace. I go to West somerton from time to time, and rather enjoy the trip.

The river to West Sommerton is quite wide, never had problems passing other craft, there have been a few carribean cruisers up there too, when the tide is right.

The fact you can see the bottom is a good sign of clear healthy water, when you get a chance, dip your boat hook in, where you think it's shallow you'll be surprised.

We have a Viking 23 and we sit deep in the water and we never have had problems up there, we haven't been this season yet though.

If you get weed around the prop, a quick blip of reverse and that usually sorts it.

On outboards, you often have a trim rod, put it in it's rear most position, so the engine is tilted, and that can loose 5" of draft.

If instead you use the first catch when tilting, the engine doesn't engage the trim rod, so if you select reverse, the engine wants to climb out of the water.

Hope it helps,

Richard

That 'yellow and black post' is a cardinal mark and the particular arrangement of yellow and black tells you which side of it to pass.  I can't remember what the pattern is on that particular one, but if it's yellow at the bottom and black at the top, pass to the north; if it's yellow at the top and black at the bottom, pass to the south; black with a yellow band around the middle, pass to the east, and yellow with a black band around the middle pass to the west.

If you pass around the post and head between the green and red buoys there is a decent channel.  On the shore to the left hand side of Catfield Dyke, there are some 'leading marks', two posts, stood one behind the other, each topped with a triangle.  Line the posts up so the triangles overlap, and that's your line in.

The dyke is narrow and shallow, much narrower than the dyke up to West Somerton.  I too have taken Mr Buttifants Womack Classic up there and been aground (but refloated at high water) but never had a problem with a 30 foot motor boat (and there is just enough room to turn one of those at the end).  Nothing much there but a BA 24 hour moorings with room for 2/3 boats, and a small area of private moorings.  It's a good long (20/30 minute) and dull walk into Catfield village, crossing the A148, and when we did it the pub was closed when we got there (but opening hours may have changed - phone and check).