Moorings At Ludham Bridge.

Viking23

51 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Really? I'm not sure I follow the logic of making such a long trip just to go to Tesco! (Especially with Roys and Lathams also available on the north Broads.)

Roys, excellent, Lathams ((QD) Not if you want anything decent. But if you want a case of coke, a case of beer, four sirloins for a BBQ etc in other words a family weekly shop Tesco makes sense. People know Tesco ( Tessy Cohen, the founder Jack's wife ) and it is in, out, one stop. I see boats come up the Ant of a morning and down the Ant of an afternoon. They have shopped and "Done" Barton, maybe lunch at Wayford or Neatishead. Been so for the ten years I have lived here. And I see the crews carrying Tesco bags across the 149.

Food shopping always done at a combination of Roy's and local butchers/bakers and grocers in Stalham, horning and Wroxham.Occasionally I've been dragged kicking and screaming into Tesco but I refuse to buy anything from them on principal.It may be my mixed Yorkshire/Jewish ancestry but I refuse to pay the often 10p-30p sometimes up to £2 more they charge at Stalham Tesco for an item identical to one in their Lincoln branch simply because its a Tesco...in Stalham.

Some long trips I do make, by boat,by car but quite often on foot. I don't mind paying a few pennies and travelling that bit extra to get good quality local produce from a local supplier.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
On 26/08/2016 at 11:28 AM, JennyMorgan said:

Danny, Dr Packman at the BA is approachable, please let him know of your concerns.

Hi Peter, after this last week, I will!  I have had email contact with JP and found him more than friendly to deal with.  We demasted just before the bridge on Wednesday (no problem - although not on designated moorings) - heading up to Barton only to find full moorings on the other side and a huge cruiser tied up on the demasting moorings through the bridge. We had to head right round the bend and tied up on the last few inches of available mooring!  Very annoying - we may well have had to motor up to How Hill with mast down!  I approached the crew, very politely and they accepted they were very much in the wrong... However, I simply can't believe they didn't know - the signs are very large and clear!!

On return, we tied up at the top end of the moorings to lower again, only to watch another cruiser pull in ahead of us on the remainder of the mooring :smiley-angry047:

Again, I politely approached and told them 'You must not moor there, even for a short while!!'  However, on finally getting back to Potter on Sunday, I observed several yachts moored for well over an hour - probably closer to two - on the moorings next to HW footbridge. They had already come through from the Upper Thurne and were just enjoying a leisurely lunch break... So, Yotties clearly abuse the situation too. I have to say, when I mentioned it to the crews, they were far less obliging than the cruiser crews at Ludham Bridge... 

• Like 1

I have , on a number of occasions moored alongside cruisers moored at demasting pints in order to demast. I have rarely encountered any strong objections, announcing that " I am just laying alongside to lower my mast".  Usually shames them without any explaination....

• Like 1

Any proper sailor would be able to climb the mast, jump onto the bridge, lift the mast, run with it across the bridge to the other side, lower the mast back down, stick it back in the hole and slide down the mast, with a dagger in his teeth of course, and land on the deck! :naughty: 

• Like 6

On 02/10/2016 at 0:36 AM, Timbo said:

Any proper sailor would be able to climb the mast, jump onto the bridge, lift the mast, run with it across the bridge to the other side, lower the mast back down, stick it back in the hole and slide down the mast, with a dagger in his teeth of course, and land on the deck! :naughty: 

What do you think I have Alison on board for?