The Salty Bottom Inaugural Rendevous

Jupes

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info guys. I guess there's only one way to find out, and that's to take the P33 for a spin :naughty:

By the way...erm, dunno how to ask this without looking a dickhead ..... ok .... here goes.....

When at the helm, how do you know when a boat gets up on the plane? (I've never been in one, see :oops: ). If I take the P33 for a spin and it does 14kts on the Bure, that's gonne feel really fast, but how will I be able to tell if it's planing?

Guest chriscraft

hi i,l have a go at it,

first open thottles to stops

engine starts to pick up speed slowly

bow rises

bowwave is enormous

engine,s pick up more revs

bow dips slightly

engine,s now at full chat

bowave flattens out

engin,s seem happier!!

your planning

thottle back to crusing speed. :dance

Chriscraft gives as good an explanation as I’ve seen Mark. Problem is all taking one on the Bure will tell you is that it will achieve X speed and nothing more. It will not be any sort of a trial of the gear and engines as they will not be going for anywhere near long enough. It will not tell you how the boat handles under the conditions you will use it at that speed after you take ownership. I guess if you like that trial enough though, you could possibly get a proper sea trial or at least a good hour at speed back and forth over Breydon to really test the beast.

Another thing worth remembering is that they are unlikely to still be capable of putting out the origonal 130 now, best thing is suck it and see. As has been said many times the speed of the boat is often unimportant as your actual speed is governed by the sea state anyway, apart from the odd diamond days most north sea coastal cruising is rust. No less enjoyable, in fact possibly more but rust nevertheless.

Thanka for the simple explaination Trevor. Never having experienced it, I really don't know what to expect :oops:

The little quanrdy I have is that we quite like the P33 MkII at NYA with the 130's. It's on shafts, reasonably small engines for river work etc. However, in my naive way, I would have thought buying a boat with a planing hull that can only ever be used in displacement mode would be a bit daft. Top speed is not my issue, but if the P33 cannot acheive the plane with 130's in it, then surely it is going to be more efficient and sensible to simply look for a SD hull or a P33 with bigger engines isn't it?

Thats the one I pointed out to Mark a few weeks ago.

Sale Pending can mean a multitude of things.... as Kiki came from Boatshowrooms I know the team well and they speak as they find. If you sell its worth a call Mark.

Hi Perry,

Yes we had a look at those details a couple of weeks back. When we sell, we will start to look a little further afield than Brundall :lol: . At the moment it is more a case of weighing up the pros and cons of various designs etc so when we do get the reddies... er... ready, we will know what we are after.

It's odd, as when we were looking for our river cruiser, we know exactly what we were after and found it within about 3 weeks. When it comes to sea boats, though, we are a bit at a loss to know what we want.

As all us (ex)salties know from bitter experience, you can go to sea on a lovely day, and before you know it, you're miles from home port and the weather and seas can turn very rough, very quickly.

It's worth bearing in mind that if you have to call for help in such conditions, the boat which comes out to you will have a semi-displacement hull! It's the best compromise of seaworthiness and speed, and also helps you not to blow about so much when on the rivers.

As far as I know all birchwoods have semi displacement hulls, so a good place to start, also 33ft plus in the water for the east coast is good to clear onto the second ware. this is a video I posted on youtube of two 37 ft s/d boats and a 31ft planing.

I think the broom at the back has more of a planing sd hull and the ts a full sd hull. The Sealine in the middle could have flattened the sea with 30 kts and balls of steel :naughty:

Jonathan :Stinky

Sticking between 2 SD's is a bit too slow, Clanny was just and I mean just on the plane at 14 knots and trying very hard to go back down so the back was heavy,the legs were tucked in and the tabs were down, at 20 Knots she looks a lot better, that said the sea had hardly anything on it so it does show you what the sea will do and when you are down to 8 Knots it can get very bumpy in a swayie sort of way.

A sea like the one on the video is great fun on a planing boat once you are properly up on top but any more and the slamming starts to worry you a bit.

THe problem is that you are unlikely to get a sea trial in conditions you are going to spend most of your time in so read, read some more and then read a bit. Go for a boat that is known to have a good sea hull, SD or planing, don't even think of going displacement due to sharons need to get rid of her dinner when moving.

Condition is everything on the age of boats you are looking at, remember you could very easily spend more than you paid for the boat trying to put it right if you buy a bad one.

Good luck with both the sale and the hunt.

Ian

I agree with Ian, amongst others. A sea trial on the Yare might show you absolute top speed but it won't necessarily be a guide to handling in sea conditions which can obviously be extremely variable and more difficult conditions will likely sap a lot of the power. But I seriously doubt that any local brokers will actually allow you to take the boat to sea or even to Breydon for a more thorough test, not unless you were packing a 6 figure budget anyway.

Perry suggested I might have something to add on the subject of SD hulls and he's right that I spent a lot of time looking at what's available but I am afraid several years worth of research on broker's sites, visiting boats and asking for advice on models to look at basically always looking at the same two marques - Princess and Fairline and even then only at a handful of models. Obviously there were many, many other makes and models considered but none making the final cut for a variety of reasons. I really liked the P33 and, had we had kids to consider, that's probably the route we would have gone down but we didn't need the extra size.