The Salty Bottom Inaugural Rendevous

Jupes

Hi all

Well, we had a great time last night and so good to see everyone again and also to meet the rest of MBird#s family... hello Mrs M and boys.

Also a big thanks to Senator and Mariotech for starting this initiative and we are really looking forward to next season and meeting up with everyone on a regular basis.

Only 20 weeks until Easter :party2::party2::party2:

Anyway, some piccies of the evening.........post-445-136713608329_thumb.jpgpost-445-136713608361_thumb.jpgpost-445-136713608384_thumb.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a great evening, and it was fantastic to meet new friends and old. My thanks to Ian and Jonathon for allowing us to poke around on their boats, as that's another two models we have looked at to help us decide what we want. There are just so many choices; hull design, outdrive or shaft, petrol or diesel ..... :grin: If we haven't made our minds up by Easter, then the offered seats for the Scroby trip will definatley be taken up.

Many thanks to all concerned for making it such an enjoyable evening, and the food at the Ship was pretty good too, helped down with a pint or three of Golden Jackal :clap Our kids went off after a while and joined in the pool competition they all seemed to have sorted out, so it was great to see them interacting with other youngsters.

We hope to see you all again soon .

Mark, Sharon, Jack (lanky one) and Harry (Shorty)

It was a great first meeting although I am still suffering from the Chicken Curry. My god that was hot! :o Like Mark, still confused which type of Salty Bottom to go with, Planing, Semi-Displacement, Sports Cruiser, Flybridge. :?

Special thanks to Barry for picking me up and driving down to Reedham. :clap

Look forward to the next meet up.

cheersbar

It’s always a difficult choice to decide which suits best Col, still t least you will probably have the opportunity to get the feel of the various types available and see which you like best. Not sure if anybody has an SD locally but you can always give me a PM if you fancy a try and I will accommodate if I possibly can.

ThinkJnathan might have that one covered David. cheersbar

Would be good to have a couple of deserters join up with one of the cruises though.

So far there is one planned for easter, whitson and a big one in August [dates published shortly]

Mayday is still open following your invitation to Shotley but if people decide to do something closer to home you will be very welcome to join in.

Ian

Like Mark, still confused which type of Salty Bottom to go with, Planing, Semi-Displacement, Sports Cruiser, Flybridge. :?

SWMBO took quite a fancy to the P33 MkII Flybridge on Sunday :naughty: . I'm still not sure how well it would go on the twin 130hp diesels, but something posted on the YBW forum reckoned that should be good for 17-18 kts, which sounds quite good to me. I guess it would be planing at that speed, but then what the hell do I know :lol: !

Pretty sure the P33 is a SD Mark, so there'd be no climb out and no plane, just a steady rise. YBW could answer that one better than me though - or try emailing Princess. I am forever reading conflicting info about my hull design. As it does not strictly fit into either category it seems open to quite a wide range of interpretations. It may be that the P33 is similar.

I reckon you'd get around 14kts out of that to be honest. There is a member here with a P33 / twin 130's but he only posts occasionally so I'd be surprised if he spots this thread and posts.

Hi Simon

According to info posted on YBW, the P33 MkI was a SD hull, but the MkII was deep-vee planing hull with a shallow keel. This concurs with all the info I have read elsewhere, but I'd have thought it would struggle to maintain the plane with 130's, which is my concern. If it can't keep up, you'd end up with a planing hull stuck in displacement mode, which can't be good!

This is the info one member posted for me, which was taken from an article in MBM covering 25 years of boats.

post-264-136713609069_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the drift of fred peeps :oops:

Mark

I'm not sure if the same rule applies, but the last time we (friends) bought a boat from NYA they were allowed to open her up to see what she could do. NYA put "trade boards" on the front, made sure there wern't any other boaters about and opened the engines....

As I say, this was a little while ago - and not sure if they are still allowed to do it, but if they do it will answer the question of how fast it can go...

Luke

Hi Luke

Yes, they can still do that except at weekends and bank holidays. I would have thought, though, that the power needed to get up on the plane on a flat river is a bit different to what would be needed at sea with anything more than flat calm isn't it?

Hi Simon

According to info posted on YBW, the P33 MkI was a SD hull, but the MkII was deep-vee planing hull with a shallow keel. This concurs with all the info I have read elsewhere, but I'd have thought it would struggle to maintain the plane with 130's, which is my concern. If it can't keep up, you'd end up with a planing hull stuck in displacement mode, which can't be good!

This is the info one member posted for me, which was taken from an article in MBM covering 25 years of boats.

Very interesting - I thought YBW would come up trumps.

Boat building is a funny thing. So there were actually two hull varieties in the MkI? I always assumed the hull was the same for the MkI & MkII and they just changed the upper section and interior. Obviously not. And it seems that even the MkI with flybridge and the MkI without flybridge will have different hulls as well. I noticed some oddities with the Mirage design too - Silver Dream, a 1977 MkI Mirage had a rounded aft section and 3/4 length heavy keel. Nothing like a proper planing boat yet still often marketed as a planing hull design. Grenick, on the other hand, which is 1983 but still a MkI has quite a different underwater profile. Later that year they introduced the MkII which had an altered interior but also had a different shaped transom so presumably a different hull mould was used. What other differences there are I could not say but it show that you get some unexpected variations as designs go on.

3/4 length shallow keel on the P33 suggests to me that it was using a similar underwater profile to the Mirage 29 and Sedan 32 designs from Fairline which were around at the same time so, presumably, performed in a similar manner. If that is so then I would say twin 130's are probably fairly borderline because they do tend to build up a bit of a hump and if you can't get over that hump then you obviously don't realise the full benefit of the hull design.

Having different hulls is not uncommon, I think Brooms do a similar thin with a couple of theirs.

We have been thinking about changing the underwater profile of our 35' hull for the sedan version which we are way,way off building but it does open up another whole market and areas of cruising.

Guest chriscraft

If you do go for a planing hull,there,s one name to look for and thats Andrew Wolstenholme ,if his name,s on it it will be good ,with not too much slaming and a shallow atitude at speed,by this i mean you can see over the bow!,i own one of his designs and it,s the best planning hull i,ve owned,300hp gives 34 knots on a 3.25 ton boatpost-1-136713609333_thumb.jpg.Notice it,s quiet flat at the stern, and deep vee at the front to cut the water.

just a thought to mull over.Don,t forget though true sports crusers are a little tight on space,but wolstenholme makes best use of this also.

cheersTrev

You will have no problem getting her on a plane Mark, you will have to get Sharon & the boys to sit on the bow though. :lol:

As I said the other evening, with the Princess deep vee hull it is like having the best of both worlds. As Ian said, how often do you have the conditions to get on a full plane on the North Sea anyway.

cheersbar