Navigation Report Speeding

johnb

On the thread regarding stern on mooring, there is also the record of various offences dealt with. It seems to record over 7000 speeding offences dealt with in less than one year  (although obviously fewer likely now). 

The highest reported are the Wroxham and Irstead launches, which I doubt will surprise those of us who spend time on The Ant.

I may be alone in thinking that if we added our own experiences of people speeding to those seen by the Rangers  (obviously some will be the same people) the numbers indicate that the message simply isn't getting through to many boaters.  Is there any answer?

Many people speed on the roads, this is wrong, but at least the purpose of most journeys is to get from A-B. Surely on the Broads we need to understand that the pleasure is in the journey? 

I am sorry I wouldn't know how to transfer the report from the other thread.

• Like 2

I think it was Antares one of the founding members here who said that if you spend more hours in the pub, then you do cruising, you have your boating priorities wrong. The river journey is first and foremost the reason for coming to The Broads for me. The fact that I like good beer and food is purely incidental. :liarcheersbar

The link to the report, Appendix 2 is the relevant section.

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/889044/Chief-Executive-Report-nc230217.pdf

• Like 6

Thank you, Keith, for that link. White lights on the bows of moored boats?? What world does the planning department live on? How many hireboats, and even private boats, carry a white 'anchor' light? Granted that the pub could have supplied them but then in the morning I suspect most boats would have driven off and forgotten them. It does seem to me that many of the points raised by objectors to the scheme subsequently proved to be absolutely right. In my opinion what has happened was entirely predictable. At least the bloke was given a chance by the BA but that is the only plus point to the whole saga.

• Like 1

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Thank you, Keith, for that link. White lights on the bows of moored boats?? What world does the planning department live on? How many hireboats, and even private boats, carry a white 'anchor' light? Granted that the pub could have supplied them but then in the morning I suspect most boats would have driven off and forgotten them. It does seem to me that many of the points raised by objectors to the scheme subsequently proved to be absolutely right. In my opinion what has happened was entirely predictable. At least the bloke was given a chance by the BA but that is the only plus point to the whole saga.

I believe the White light was one of the original requirements and they were meant to be supplied and fixed by the pub, hence the second requirement, that stern on mooring could only be allowed when mooring attendants were on duty, to ensure that lights were supplied and positioned in place.

1 hour ago, johnb said:

On the thread regarding stern on mooring, there is also the record of various offences dealt with. It seems to record over 7000 speeding offences dealt with in less than one year  (although obviously fewer likely now). 

The highest reported are the Wroxham and Irstead launches, which I doubt will surprise those of us who spend time on The Ant.

I may be alone in thinking that if we added our own experiences of people speeding to those seen by the Rangers  (obviously some will be the same people) the numbers indicate that the message simply isn't getting through to many boaters.  Is there any answer?

Many people speed on the roads, this is wrong, but at least the purpose of most journeys is to get from A-B. Surely on the Broads we need to understand that the pleasure is in the journey? 

I am sorry I wouldn't know how to transfer the report from the other thread.

Engines should be governed ! As for 'crossing Breydon' , just as there are bridge pilots there could be staff stationed at GY and Berney , with boats being required to stop for the control to be switched on/off as appropriate.

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

Engines should be governed ! As for 'crossing Breydon' , just as there are bridge pilots there could be staff stationed at GY and Berney , with boats being required to stop for the control to be switched on/off as appropriate.

Just for hire boats or private boats as well? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Given the number of private boats that are ridiculously overpowered....

On another forum I read a suggestion that a 24' Viking would be OK with a 25hp hung off the back, but a 40 HP would be preferable in order to cross Breydon ( actually they spelled it 'Brayden')  :51_scream::facepalm:

Just how DO we deal with the private boat issue ??

• Like 2

While I generally agree about speeding, in no way do I agree all boats should be limited! on more than a few occasions it's only by whacking on full throttle have I avoided what could be a serious collision when someone else has done something silly, my boat is quite fast for the Broads really, as it's classed as a inland and costal cruiser, but just like cars! just because your cars does 150mph it dosn't mean you have to drive that fast, the main problem I see is dayboats and the problem with them isn't the speed it's the hull design! they just creat a lot of wash, on my boat I can happily cruise at 6mph with barely a ripple, yet I've seen smaller boats with outboards doing 4mph sending waves up the bank, so there's no real answer to speeding unless there's more rangers and prosecute more, or give instant fines, but like all things be carefull what you wish for,

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Mowjo said:

unless there's more rangers

Oh I dunno...the report does say in a 'vision',I do think there's a serious need for antipsychotics at Yare House with all these visions they keep having, that the Rangers will soon be spending more time otter ogling and spuggie fettling in a 60/40 ratio and of course once the Wildlife Trust has managed to raise millions in such a short time to buy Hickling Toll payers will be funding increasing resources and manpower towards Canape.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vanessan said:

Perhaps not private boats but maybe the BA should reserve the right to insist that a private boat caught speeding three times should be subject to her engine/s being governed. or even removd. Either that or the owner being suspended by his unmentionables from Vauxhall Bridge.

• Like 1

What the report doesnt say is how much over the speed limit these boats were. As the bulk of them were dealt with by 'verbal warning' it could be that they were just advised to slow down a little. I find it hard to believe the Rangers have stopped 7000 boats to deal with them. Most of them will have been a wave of a hand or a call as they were passing I think. :hardhat::Sailing