Norwich - A Salt City?

Vaughan

A minute amount,

My accent is lost somewhere between ( in order), Somerset / Cyprus / Northern Ireland / Wiltshire / The Highlands / Lothian / Milton Keynes / Lincolnshire / Somerset / Norfolk / Yorkshire / Norfolk / Essex / The Outer Hebrides / Northumberland / Milton Keynes / the Falklands / Milton Keynes / Saudi Arabia /  Norfolk.  (plus regular Visits to Lothian).

Depending on how you measure it, I've moved 20 to 30 Times, though for the last 15 years here in Norfolk, it might be time to apply for a Norfolk passport soon...

My brother is fluent in the Gàidhlig, and my younger sister can understand much of it. But the older sister and myself went to School in Inverness and Learnt only the English. I do know some of the Gàidhlig, but much of that has been learnt since, from my liking of History, books on the Highlands, books on the Jacobite rebellions and some books on the UK languages including an absolutely tiny amount of Old English...

• Like 1

Like you Q I've moved around considerably. Born in Singapore Mum and Dad took me to the BMH at 18 months old worried I was not starting to speak properly. The Malaysian nurse interrupted 'he is speaking but he speaks Chinese '. Mum stopped leaving me in the care of the amah so much. Apparently I was quite fluent.  I had a broad Doncaster accent by age 11, and no longer knew any Chinese, but by the time I went to Uni I had a Lincolnshire dialect. 

Cambridge with a broad accent was unbearable but I've always been a good mimic so quickly ended up copying the well spoken around me.  This resulted in more than a few rows and ructions with Uncle Albert when I returned home.  Years spent in Greece,  Bahrain,  Israel meant I picked up a smattering of Latin, Greek, Hebrew and Arabic. Which caused some head scratching with the medicos when I had the first big stroke as while I was out of it I kept switching between the languages... Even Chinese at one point. The subsequent brain damage... I can hear you all going 'ah that explains a lot '... had quite an effect on my language and accent. The slurring and problems with tongue and mouth shapes gave me a weird sound... almost South African. Slowly my Doncaster/Lincolnshire reasserted itself but when I'm tired the slurring creeps back in.  A big problem has been the swearing. I can't help it words and language are easier prefixed by a word beginning with an f or a b. Once again the more tired I get the bluer the language. There seems to no longer be a filter present between what I'm thinking and what I'm saying. When I lose my temper I can string sentences that would have a drill sergeant shaking in shock at my eloquence! 

• Like 4

Yes...  I'm told I could speak Greek before I started school, through playing with all the local children in Cyprus. But I lost all of it very soon after, I left Northern Ireland with an Irish accent, left Wiltshire with a proper west country accent etc...

The sister born in Cyprus, had difficulty getting a passport issued because some Numpty didn't recognise  that British Military Hospital Dhekelia, in Cyprus was  British territory..

SWMBO is from .... Rotherham

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Not closed but very dishevelled, they are supposed to be extending the Shefield supertram system through to Rotherham. http://www.sypte.co.uk/tramtrain/

SWMBOs Uncle who died last year, was a tram / trolley bus /  bus driver  in Rotherham starting just pre WW2, so you were probably a passenger of his at some point..

Hi Q,

To be honest it is not before time that the supertram system is going to be extended to Rotherham, they have been paying for it since it was installed in Sheffield in the mid 90's.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1