Southgates At Horning

boatmadmike

I would think someone with their own boat such as yourself Maurice helming it on a single handed basis all the time are going to be much better at it then someone who hires one just from time to time! 

The main benefit I can see with having other people on board with you is that If things do go wrong you have someone else to blame!!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I make it a rule to blame every mishap on someone else. I can often be found after some idiotic manouevre on my part, looking around desperately for someone to blame. I may have been in control of the wheel and throttle, but whatever happened couldn't possibly have been my fault. I am, after all, perfect. :taunt:.

As far as Horning Marine Services goes, we've always been dealt with civilly and with good humour. The damage to Mike's boat was probably caused by the corner of one of the quay headings - it's not a straight uninterrupted piece of heading, having a slipway bisecting it, covered by a removable deck. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

The main benefit I can see with having other people on board with you is that If things do go wrong you have someone else to blame!!!!

I can't argue with that !

4 minutes ago, Regulo said:

I make it a rule to blame every mishap on someone else. I can often be found after some idiotic manouevre on my part, looking around desperately for someone to blame. I may have been in control of the wheel and throttle, but whatever happened couldn't possibly have been my fault. I am, after all, perfect. :taunt:

and I wouldn't dare argue with that !! (except manoeuvre is "oeu" not "oue"  still, perfection is perfection is perfection.) :taunt:  :taunt:  :taunt:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

(except manoeuvre is "oeu" not "oue"  still, perfection is perfection is perfection.) :taunt:  :taunt:  :taunt:

I blame, er, I blame . . . blast there's no-one around! Can I blame my keyboard for not knowing what keys were meant to be hit, in what order? Can't have been me.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Have only just come across this report and was most surprised,we are private owners and have regularly used Southgates for

several years.Their service has always been superb,and on the rare occasion when either wind or tide has been an issue they have always offered to make sure that we were safely underway. 

I have to say that I was most surprised that hire fleets' are allowing cruisers to be taken out single handed and have to assume that this gentleman had some prior experience..

While moored one day on the river Gt.Ouse we spotted going past our previous boat which we had  recently sold through  brokerage thus never meeting the new owners. As they went by we made ourselves known to them and they promptly pulled in and moored behind us. We stood chatting for a while and the wife asked me how we got on while cruising. The reason for her asking was  as  she put it " We have that many domestics since we started boating I wondered if everybody was the same or if it was just us. I told her that as  soon as she learned the golden rule all would be fine. What's that she asked . |  explained . You're out on the river, your husband is at the helm and you are very definitely elsewhere, he hits something and it's  all your fault!

Carole

• Haha 2