My Day

LizG

1 hour ago, grendel said:

Today at the boot fair I managed to get a seadoo scooter, (basically a one person propulsion unit for water use) I got it suspecting that the battery would be dead, and with no charger, so it was no surprise to find the battery missing entirely, not a problem, I can build a new one( not about to spend £600 on a replacement) I have tested it on a 20v tool battery and it runs.

IMG_20240901_095543_360.jpg

IMG_20240901_095603_488.jpg

IMG_20240901_095620_676.jpg

Looking for a stash of 18650 cells then I guess.

I assume original battery wasn't lithium.

13 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Looking for a stash of 18650 cells then I guess.

I assume original battery wasn't lithium.

actually yes it was a 22V lithium pack, and they are available, but £579.00 is just a bit expensive.

interesting how you seperate the case, you attach a pump and pump it to 10psi, and the seal pops open.

I dont need to look for a stash of cells, I do still have 38 left of the original box of 100 second hand cells i bought a while back, all matched to within 100mah capacity, this needs 6 cells in series, so I have the capability of building a 12Ah pack from those (6 in series 6x parallel), I just need to 3d print a support structure for them, or I can spend £70 and buy a ready made pack from a radio control place.

1 minute ago, Islander said:

What the toll going to be on that. Is it an outboard or powered vessel :default_biggrin:

ok :default_coat:

Colin :default_drinks:

that is a jolly good question, if it was on a dinghy, it would be the same as using an electric trolling motor.

7 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

Just promise us one thing Grendel please don't try it out in your hot tub as it could horrendous. :default_biggrin:

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

sorry, I cant promise that, as its already been half submerged in the hot tub for test runs, that proved to yield a clicking noise as the prop turns, which in turn led me to the prop shroud that had one of the struts misaligned,and protruding into the shroud, that has now been rectified, just awaiting ordering a battery (the £70 one not the £600 one) until it will arrive on a day I am not training in essex.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2024 at 11:15, ChrisB said:

Lay prone on SUP and hold SeaDoo over bow end and go!

having just done a fully submerged test run in the hot tub, just hanging on to it will be the main issue, I had a nice whirlpool in the hot tub going flat out. now I just need to figure how to mount it and how to make remote controls i reckon this would easily push a dinghy above the broads speed limit flat out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grendel said:

having just done a fully submerged test run in the hot tub, just hanging on to it will be the main issue, I had a nice whirlpool in the hot tub going flat out. now I just need to figure how to mount it and how to make remote controls i reckon this would easily push a dinghy above the broads speed limit flat out.

What is the wattage of the motor? My e-propulsion has a 1000w motor and flat out will give about 5mph (maybe 5.5 at a push) on a 2.7m airdeck dinghy, drop to 3mph and it will last 5+ hours.

For gentle running 120-170w will propel it nicely, battery is 1280w/h I believe. 

That's with a clear prop (no prop guard like seado to sap thrust).

6 hours ago, Smoggy said:

What is the wattage of the motor? My e-propulsion has a 1000w motor and flat out will give about 5mph (maybe 5.5 at a push) on a 2.7m airdeck dinghy, drop to 3mph and it will last 5+ hours.

For gentle running 120-170w will propel it nicely, battery is 1280w/h I believe. 

That's with a clear prop (no prop guard like seado to sap thrust).

I may have been exaggerating, with the stock 22V 4Ah lithium battery its rated at 1 hour use, (30 mintes continuous flat out) and it is supposed to achieve 3.1mph (5km/h) dragging a human i have put in a 6Ah 22V lithium battery, and I have read the motor is a 500W unit. its about an 8" prop on this beast.