Computer Virus

Timbo

I need some help please guys. The pile of excrement that passes for a computer operating system called windows 10 has just updated itself even though auto-update was disabled. In the process it has installed something which is just opening endless windows Amazon assistant. aa . I'm currently trying to scan it with AVG Pro...but I'm about half an hour away to beating the crap out of it with a hammer. Is there something I can do quickly about this or am I just better off having it wiped and Windows 7 put on the machine...so it works properly.

As you can imagine I am hating every single minute of life with Windows 10, intrusive, disruptive, ineffective, slow...oh how slow!

Edited to add I have my beautiful Windows 7 machine for work...although the windows 10 machine has a lot of video data on it!

• Like 1

we had the joy at our astronomy club of watching the lecturers machine do a windows update - just as he was about to start his presentation, and despite having updates turned off. it then went on to change the hard drive the machine booted from, from the fast SSD hard drive to the old conventional large one, the presentation started 45 minutes late. (but was a very good one on fred hoyle and stonehenge)

• Like 2

Loathe Windows 10, bought a Mac.

Grendel, I was about to run a course when my notebook on Windows 7 pulled the same stunt. Two other laptops were produced by the clients, and they were doing the same flipping thing. Nightmare.

I watched an interesting C5 programme on Stonehenge recently, looking at why it was located there at all.

• Like 1

That's why the cooling fan was running it legs off installing that update early evening I put the extra fan on the fan deck the lappy sits on. Just checked and it want's to reboot but it will get shutdown in five.

What ho Grendel! What ho Siddy! What ho Polly!  I've got to the bottom of this one and I'm wearing the expression of someone who has just solved the crossword puzzle with a shrewd ‘Emu’ in the top right hand corner don't you know!

The Amazon Assistant aa.hta virus is not a virus. I still haven't found out how to remove the Amazon Assistant from the computer in Windows 10 but...by stopping the process I have stopped all of the pop ups. The latest Windows 10 update had screwed the Amazon Assistant software and sent it a bit squiffy!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grendel said:

my solution to windows 10 updates - leave the machine running, dont shut down and reboot, then it doesnt seem to check for updates.

Oh Boy wait till you get the next power cut......     Years of updates all in one go...

• Like 2