Loops!

Not sure if this is the right site for this but thought some of you might find this a good idea. We put loops made from cord roughly twice the guage of an average shoe lace through our canopy zip fasteners tabs. It makes them much more user friendly and altogether easier to operate. Most chandlers selling ropes have cord in the right  guage. We got ours at Hoveton.

Carole

My late wife made ours and they were looking past their best so I bought 10 zip pulls from Ebay for £1.89.

On the subject of zips I lubricate mine with a small can of silicon spray £2.79 from Screwfix. It is very good on hatch seal rubber also

Screenshot_20170904-181812.png

ae235.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

My late wife made ours and they were looking past their best so I bought 10 zip pulls from Ebay for £1.89.

On the subject of zips I lubricate mine with a small can of silicon spray £2.79 from Screwfix. It is very good on hatch seal rubber also

Screenshot_20170904-181812.png

ae235.jpg

Yes we discovered the merits of silicone spray sometime ago, I believe it's original intended use was for plastic curtain rails, having said that it's great for zips. 

Carole

On the subject of zips, you should always roll up the entrance flaps to the cockpit etc. And secure it using the straps provided. Most of us just lob it over the roof.

The problem arises when you get a strong gust and it lifts the flap from one side. This can twist the open zip at the slider and lead to a new zip, quite costly but the inconvenience of not having a side panel! You learn from experience.

Always keep a pot of Vaseline on the boat!!!

Great for hatch seals and if you have screw lid water strainers on your engines, keeps them nice and easy to remove. 

Like those zip things. 

Another useful bit of kit. Velcro cable tie. You can buy it in reels and cut to length. I also got some cheap Velcro ties off eBay, but the weather does tend to destroy them. I use a selection of the above for keeping shore power cables tidy when not in use, also to keep the shore power cable from getting too "droopy" when it's connected. 

I also use them for holding things like landing net poles in place when not in use. Saves them getting lost or rolling around.