Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

They have a very trick engine/drive which allows them to do tender duties one minute and go 40kts the next so they are capable of chugging along at low speeds quite happily but with nowhere to open it up I do wonder how long Robin will keep it in reality.

Actually there is a way, I think it is capable of towing a skier and there is the stretch near Brundall, any Indy crew care to volunteer?

34 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

you can of cause buy a 700 HP super car but the thing is you can't use it as intended

I have a 4.6 litre engined car,  it can go very fast,  I can't drive it above 70 in this country,  but by heck I do like driving it even if I stop at 70.

My Broom Scorpio could go a lot faster than 5mph,  I don't go faster than that,  but by heck I do like driving it even if I stop at 5mph.

I suspect Robin wouldn't have gone out and purchased a Williams Rib but fairly sure most on here wouldn't say no to a free one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Not sure where Robin is to be moored at Brundall but if he + guests become bored with the Yare, he can use the rib to go to Coldham Hall, Surlingham Ferry or Waters Edge for a swift pint or two.

Of cause he can and at a maximum of between 3-5-6 mph which are the speed limits to the furthest pub ie the waters edge n the 3 mph is for the 3 dykes in and out of bargate broad .

That said he's got to be in a position to be able to launch it anyway in the said marina + I'm sure there's a imposed speed limit in that marina anyway .

2 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I have a 4.6 litre engined car,  it can go very fast,  I can't drive it above 70 in this country,  but by heck I do like driving it even if I stop at 70.

My Broom Scorpio could go a lot faster than 5mph,  I don't go faster than that,  but by heck I do like driving it even if I stop at 5mph.

I suspect Robin wouldn't have gone out and purchased a Williams Rib but fairly sure most on here wouldn't say no to a free one.

Not disagreeing , but my comment was you can't use it as in it was intended to be used can you ? Banging on about how fast it is in a heavily restricted ( speed wise ) area  is surely irreverent which was my original point for those that didn't grasp that .

8 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Of cause he can and at a maximum of between 3-5-6 mph which are the speed limits to the furthest pub ie the waters edge n the 3 mph is for the 3 dykes in and out of bargate broad .

That said he's got to be in a position to be able to launch it anyway in the said marina + I'm sure there's a imposed speed limit in that marina anyway .

If an over the stern launching is possible, as we say in London "Sorted". Of course if he has an alongside mooring there is no problem.

Just now, Philosophical said:

If an over the stern launching is possible, as we say in London "Sorted"

Yes it is "IF " n that means bow in doesn't it , hopefully there are some form of step's to get on and off down the sides of the boat since finger pontoons are hardly the length of 55 feet .

2 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Yes it is "IF " n that means bow in doesn't it , hopefully there are some form of step's to get on and off down the sides of the boat since finger pontoons are hardly the length of 55 feet .

Which probably means an alongside mooring

I think you will find that Robin will have thought about these issues  or will find a way to overcome  any difficulties.

12 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

my comment was you can't use it as in it was intended to be used can you ?

Nope,  nor can I use my car or Broom as they were intended  but I still use them quite happily within the legal constraints.

I must be missing your point Ricardo.

5 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Which probably means an alongside mooring

Are there any they take up a lot of space in a marina not good for maximising income , that said there are a couple by the river 

1 minute ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I think you will find that Robin will have thought about these issues  or will find a way to overcome  any difficulties.

Nope,  nor can I use my car or Broom as they were intended  but I still use them quite happily within the legal constraints.

I must be missing your point Ricardo.

Really considering he has said he doesn't know how deep the water is in there then I'll have to  go with what you say .

And no I don't believe your missing the point at all more arguing a point for the sake of it 

I have enjoyed watching the progress of this thread and the Captain's Blog videos that accompany it. Good luck with your passage to Norfolk Robin and Team Indy.  Do you have AIS so we can monitor your progress? If so what boat name should we be looking for - Independence or her previous name?

8 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Really considering he has said he doesn't know how deep the water is in there then I'll have to  go with what you say .

And no I don't believe your missing the point at all more arguing a point for the sake of it 

If the water is deep enough for the big boat I'm sure it will be deep enough for the rib

15 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

If the water is deep enough for the big boat I'm sure it will be deep enough for the rib

No kidding , has it been ascertained if its deep enough for independence ? I'm not sure it has been , it might be , but on a low spring tide I seriously doubt it .

But hey what do I know ? 

Just now, Ricardo said:

No kidding , has it been ascertained if its deep enough for independence ? I'm not sure it has been , it might be , but on a low spring tide I seriously doubt it .

But hey what do I know ? 

At least he can go to the pub in the rib.

1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

True , subject to being able to launch it ( and back to square one  :15_yum: )

I thought that we had already established that there were sufficient options for that not to be an issue.

1 minute ago, psychicsurveyor said:

From the latest blog,  it can side launch as well as probably off the back.

If Independence is sat on the mud at least it won't list during launching :default_biggrin:

Maybe one could argue that a low tide is a benefit then

5 hours ago, Snowy said:

like the fact the RIB is said to " Rocket from standstill to 20 knots in four seconds flat and won't stop until the far side of 40 knots."

Surely that's totally irrelevant given the maximum speed on the broads is 6 mph for the very vast majority of it , there is a person in brundall that has one already n he's making a name for himself n not in a good way .

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Well its unlikely that the rib will be used on the broads at 40 knots. River inspectors will take a dim view of that!!! The trader is basically a sea boat and besides being used on the broads it will also be used out at sea. The rib could be used on Breydon water or perhaps be used the same as coastal Voyager at Southwold when the trader moors at Southwold which is just a short hop down the coast from the broads.

5 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

From the latest blog,  it can side launch as well as probably off the back.

If Independence is sat on the mud at least it won't list during launching :default_biggrin:

Probably? I think is possibly , it depends on the jib reach surely and the load put on it 

6 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Maybe one could argue that a low tide is a benefit then

Yep mud on your bum creeping up the raw water intakes is always a benefit or so iv found , and I'm being entirely serious , it benefited me more than once over  getting the towing job to bring them back after they over heated :15_yum: