Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

But you didn'y say if the plug that was out was Bath or 13 Amp

1 hour ago, Regulo said:

I bet he was great at those "If tap A fills a bath in 5 minutes, and tap B fills it in 6 minutes, how long will it take both taps to fill the bath, if the plug's out, and it's Friday? Ignore barometric pressure, and the floating plastic duck".

• Haha 1

Robin, i dont know if you noticed, but I plotted a possible route to Ramsgate from Brighton using the navionics link you gave earlier, and it shows a warning with just 2m depth at the harbour entrance to Ramsgate, Just a heads up for you - I know you measured Independences draught at 5 foot something, but I wasnt sure if the charts showed the mean low water level or something else.

I bet he was great at those "If tap A fills a bath in 5 minutes, and tap B fills it in 6 minutes, how long will it take both taps to fill the bath, if the plug's out, and it's Friday? Ignore barometric pressure, and the floating plastic duck".
Yes, but what time will train B arrive?

Sent from my Moto C Plus using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Well that was good update wasn't it?

Re the fuel tanks, I really think some of us in here are in danger of  'Over thinking' the issue.  I call it an issue coz that's the way I see it.  It is NOT a problem, just an issue.  Besides I don't 'Do' problems, I deal in solutions.  Once we are back onboard this coming Thursday I will get in the engine room and have another look at it, I've a few things I want to look at more closely and discover, discover them I will only this time I will have a Nuclear watchkeeper on my shoulder that used to look after such systems onboard Polaris - Our Howard, two heads are much better than one.   So I am confident we will get our heads round the system.  That's all it is really - understanding the system, it's capabilities and it limitations.  Once we have that knowledge, it will be of course passed and explained to Robin in good old fashioned 'Yorkshire Speak' and he is good to go forever.  What Robin has achieved with engaging the services of professional yards has only made the issue much easier and removed many unknown scenarios form the equation

Griff

Hi Griff, 

Talking of Polaris.......

My old man was on HMS Resolution in the late 60's to about 73. 

Just wondered which boat you were on and when ?

Sorry to go off topic:14_relaxed:

Although Iv'e been following this thread from the start.......

Would it be possible to have a dedicated thread to the trip from

Plymouth to the Broads with timing, over-night stops, I,D information

as well as tracking info? It will take an age to go back through all this

thread trying to find all that info! Thanks in advance.

BuffaloBill, I can save you looking back through the thread, all we know is departure Plymouth friday to Weymouth (I think)

Saturday Weymouth to Brighton,  Sunday Brighton to Ramsgate (or Dover) and Monday the last leg up from Ramsgate to Great Yarmouth. no timings as yet, and no ID or tracking info as yet.

On 1/11/2018 at 12:54, LondonRascal said:

Passage Plan

For those who are following this thread I have some rough times for you with regard to bringing Independence to Norfolk.

Firstly there is a good chance that we will have suitable reception from shore for data (if not all the time then at some times) and using an App for AIS tracking could then provide websites like http://shipfinder.co/   with our position and so on so people would able to follow our progress. 

However, I may well end up with a new VHF set after the Boat Show this Saturday that has AIS built in, and as a result of that would mean that our live progress would be plotted through coastal repeater stations in range to us over VHF and to other shipping which is how AIS works likewise this data would be shown on http://shipfinder.co/  and show ourselves and other vessels overlaid on a Google Map.

Presuming all goes as it should and the weather is being kind  this is the passage plan as of 11th January:

• Friday 2nd Feb sail from Plymouth to Weymouth (85Nm)
  • Saturday 3rd Feb sail from Plymouth to Brighton Marina (92Nm)
  • Sunday 4th Feb sail from Brighton Marina to Ramsgate (alternatively Dover) (79Nm)
  • Monday 5th Feb sail from Ramsgate/Dover to Great Yarmouth and onto the Broads (81Nm)

We must book Haven and Breydon Bridge lifts 24hrs in advance and we really need to be coming in on a rising tide or close to high water so we have good depth under us. High water at Great Yarmouth on 5th Feb is 13:45 so that means an early departure from Ramsgate or Dover on the 4th - most likely a night navigation to begin.

While I am not able to accept more crew for the passage, any Forum members who might find themselves close to the above harbors would be welcome to come down on board for a drink and tour of the boat.

Forum members who might wish to join us for a 'Cruise in Company' as we make our passage over Breydon and along the Yare would be welcome to do so. You now have a good idea of the time in which we would be making our way into the Broads at Yarmouth.

We will also have PMR Radio's on board set to CH4 so you know in advance how to make contact with us if on your own boat and do not have VHF when on the Broads.

I'd encourage people to keep an eye on the Forum Facebook Group where making posts and updates on the fly will be much more easy when we are underway with more detailed reports coming on the Forum each evening as we tie up in the respective harbor.

More to follow in time..

here is the salient post copied here to save people searching

My mothers late twin was  a submariner , when he left the navy he was crew in the mini sub used to search for the Loch Ness monster with Tim Dinsdale, got some interesting pics somewhere of his adventures will have to search sometime .

Also have a series of pics (and medals) from my great uncle who sadly went down on The Hood, again if I can find where they are will post them at some time in the future .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:
  • Friday 2nd Feb sail from Plymouth to Weymouth (85Nm)
  • Saturday 3rd Feb sail from Plymouth to Brighton Marina (92Nm)
  • Sunday 4th Feb sail from Brighton Marina to Ramsgate (alternatively Dover) (79Nm)
  • Monday 5th Feb sail from Ramsgate/Dover to Great Yarmouth and onto the Broads (81Nm)

Sailing from Plymouth twice? Or should that read 'Weymouth to Brighton'? (The milage doesn't add up)

(Thanks for that anyway Grendel)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Bro was on Polaris then over onto Trident boats. He was on Subs from about 83 - 04.  I was surface fleet, 76 - 2000

So Griff came under the classification of a target! My father was on subs for many years. Saw a few being launched at Camel Lairds on the Wirral.

• Like 1

I can confirm that we are passage planning for the following:-

Fri - sail from Plymouth to Weymouth

Sat - sail from Weymouth to Brighton

Sun - Sail from Brighton to Ramsgate

Mon - Sail from Ramsgate to GT Yarmouth, then onto Brundall (Via Goodchilds for diesel)

Actual sailing times will be promulgated but I can also confirm we intend to depart Plymouth at 0800 on Friday 02nd

Sailing from Ramsgate is likely to be no later than 0730 so we can meet the tide nicely at GYA for around 1300.

Normally Robin would be posting this stuff, but we are trying to do as much on his behalf as we can to lighten his load as it were.

One of Indy's crew (who are NBN members)  no doubt will update this thread at least twice a day from Thursday 01st  onwards

Hope the above helps,

Griff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

We should have a competition  on how much fuel she uses

Why not?  This was mentioned previously too.  Go for it.  Obviously the onboard Indy crew will abstain form entering a 'Best Guess' as we will do an onboard Sweepstake between ourselves I would have thought.

Four legs and the total overall consumption?

However although Robin intends to fuel up at each location, in some instances we may not be able to do so, if that happens we can't promulgate that particular legs consumption figures - This lot is probably as clear a muddy sea oggin!

Griff

• Like 1