Boat Rescued

JennyMorgan

14 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

How do you end up at oulton broad coming from Brundall to St Olaves. 

Doug. 

By forgetting to turn left at the end of the New Cut!

A four and a half foot long inflatable was used for the rescue? Amazing!

Seemingly the dory used as a tow boat couldn't safely tow a twenty five footer? I regularly tow a 28' boat alongside an 11' dory, quite safely too.

How cold are you on a scale of 1-10?

Really?

They do this with pain as well and it is meaningless/

Up until a few years ago the most painful thing I had ever experienced was a couple of broken ribs playing rugby. Until then this was my '10' Then, my appendix burst. This made the broken ribs about 3 on the pain scale.

• Like 2

Wonder if it could have been a member here. 

Not really what 999 is for but when hypothermia comes in to play what else can you do if youve nobody else to phone. 

All a pain scale does is indicate how well you are coping with pain 1 being easy 10 being please kill me now! 

Asking people to rate their pain for 1 to 10 is about the best method available - there's no way to objectively measure pain, and two people can experience vastly different perceptions of pain from similar conditions.

Given that it was dark, and the weather conditions were such that the boat was towed to Oulton Broad rather than the Waveney River Centre due to the wind and water conditions, calling 999 doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

It amazes me how Ill prepared some people can be. It's cold it's winter, you're on a boat, you'd dress warm. A 25ft boat must have the facilities onboard to heat water for a nice brew if not a cheeky bottle of rum stashed away. I'd always stored blankets on my boat for emergencies such as someone going overboard.

Ive been caught out in a similar sort of situation before and used the mud weight to pull myself to the side boiled the kettle and filled the flask then wrapped up as warm as I could to settle down for the night ready to work on the outboard at sunrise. Branden

• Like 5

Alcohol and hypothermia don't mix or rather they do all too frequently.

For anyone who doesn't know what a pain of ten feels like should maybe try 15 ft of two inch gauze stuffed into a packed wound without the pre-requisite parafin lubricant so it all stuck. Said gauze is then pulled out of the gaping wound inch by firmly stuck inch by a nurse with tears dripping down her face onto the patient. Her (the nurse) pain was defo a vicarious ten. Mine I don't know or care as 150 mg pethidine and an indomethacin suppository placed in situe by said nurse half an hour beforehand was not touching it at all. I don't know what scale to apply all I know is I do not want ever to have that much discomfort ever again.

Note to self: Go to the docs before it gets serious you loon.....Or as the doc said pre-admission you Bl**dy Idiot.

• Like 1