Financail

Andrewcook

Hi all this year 2018 is going to be a difficult year for people either Private Boats or Hiring Yard two reason. First one the River Toll Licences is going up very steeply plus Insurance act. Two Community charges is going up very sharply in April all this must put  a squeeze on our Financial resources for this Year and  beyond could theses Boats suffer from lack of being Maintained each Year when it is due? 

Yours Andrew Cook   

• Like 1

Although some went down - you don't here too many people boasting that theirs went down but they are around!!! 

Overall I will just remind you that following the change the  tolls budget was only expected to increase by quite modest amounts although I believe in the event it may have been more than that as the number of hire craft rose more than expected!

OK lets not have a "discussion" about it again but as ever I just like to keep the "balance" going in the topic!!!!!

No Toll for us this year, as soon as our boat goes back in the water in march it is being taken directly to brokerage and it can sit there untolled till it sells.  Had enough of it all. 

Brokers might end up bursting at the seams with unsold boats after a few more years of toll increases, we are getting in while they still have space! 

Thing is though brokers bursting at the seams with boats means re sale values plummet , good for the buyer but not good if your selling  not only that revenue to BA reduces and those left could end up paying more because of that .

I wonder how long it will be before the BA will want brokerage boats to have valid toll. Why should a brokers yard be any different from other adjacent waters.

As for increases in costs. It's something that happens every year. 3% is not much above what I was expecting.

Colin:default_beerchug:

4 minutes ago, Islander said:

I wonder how long it will be before the BA will want brokerage boats to have valid toll. Why should a brokers yard be any different from other adjacent waters.

As for increases in costs. It's something that happens every year. 3% is not much above what I was expecting.

Colin:default_beerchug:

That a very good point + tolled boats are more attractive as one cost is covered , it pretty unfair that other craft that don't use yge navigation have to be tolled and boats for sale on brokerage don't there's no difference at all .

8 minutes ago, JohnK said:

Can you test a boat with no toll at a brokers?
I know some yards have trade plates but do they all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this really any different to car dealerships who use trade plates for road tests etc. I guess that once a boat is on land then the adjacent waters issue doesn't apply and therefore why should it be tolled, for sale or not. Once in the water then the waters are muddied. Do the trade plates cover a boat for sitting in the water for sale? What happens if the owners come up and want to use it before it is sold? Then surely it needs to be tolled, but if the owners sign a contract that the boat is for sale and will not be used by them, then would the trade plates be enough to cover the fact it is in adjacent waters untolled? Do trade plates only cover the vessel being trialled at that particular time and therefore would it need to be lifted out again if it is not tolled?

I am not certain, but I thought that a boat just needed to be up for sale displaying a for sale sign and not necessarily with a broker to avoid a toll whilst for sale.

Personally i do not have a trade plate, I have borrowed some at times to move untolled boats,  however I cannot sit all high and mighty, I have moved one or two without a toll in the past. 

I’ve just done a bit of googling (so now I’m an expert )
I can’t find anything about toll exemption for boats on sale on the BA website. But on another forum the person who appeared to be the most informed says that if the for sale boat is under the control of the broker no toll is required. But if the boat is still under the control of the owner even though it’s for sale a toll is still required.
I have no idea if that’s true but it sounds believable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk