Potter Heigham Staithe

riverman

28 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Peter mentioned Thorpe Island and there may be a parallel here. Roger Wood is living in a house on the island for which he has planning permission, the site of which has been used as a dwelling for 150 years. When Thorpe Council locked off the public staithe they also blocked his access to a trunk road, which is against planning law, as the staithe is his only access.

If chalets in Potter are now being lived in year round, with permission, then surely the public staithe is their access to the road?

Possibly slightly different, Thorpe Island is an island, and although connected by a bridge, I don't think the bridge gives access to Roger Wood's end of the island? whereas the bungalows at Potter do have a footpath access all the way along the back to the road. It may not be the most convenient for taking goods, but I can think of other places where there is no road access to the property, only a footpath.

At Haddiscoe station there is a row of cottages between the railway and the river. Access is from the station car park, across the level crossing, along the Lowestoft bound station platform, onto a footpath and to the houses. Many estates on the "New Towns" were built to a model where car parking was around the outside of the estate and you had to walk through the estate on foot to deliver goods to the house. As a TV engineer in the mid 80s some of these estates became two man installs because you couldn't leave your car unattended to install a new TV for fear of coming back and finding your window broken and the rest of the TVs or videos gone.

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

The person who really would know the answers is David (expilot) but I'm not sure that he looks over this side of the fence 

It looks like a new member called expilot joined yesterday, so maybe he will post with an update if it is the same person.

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

A working staithe, agreed but maybe too many folk use it as a car park? A draconian response by the BA, maybe, but perhaps one forced upon them because of complaints. Has anyone asked the BA why? 

As for allowing more riverside accommodation, sounds like a great idea but I don't see it happening any time soon, not with the present incumbents at Yare House.  Affordable housing, easy, houseboats, which takes us back to Thorpe Island and Jenner's Basin for the quick answer to that one! The BA as a modern progressive, caring organisation, I don't think so :default_crying1animated:. 

I have to say I don't think so, I know we've been parking on it less and less because of how vulnerable it leaves our vehicles and equipment. I'm sure other firms would agree.

I don't know what you mean, whenever I think of BA, caring and progressive are the first thing I think of ?.

Also, there are several properties that I know for a fact (10+) that are full time homes in both directions from the staithe.

I have just spoken to Robin Allard. 

The BA have been concerned from a health and safety point of view about vehicles parking at the staithe. With many holiday makers with children about I agree. 

They are going to errect posts to prevent vehicle access to part of the staithe. There will be an area left for loading and unloading. 

The intention is to stop the selfish few from leaving vehicles parked.

The plans will be posted in the notice board at the staithe shortly for all to see.

Chris 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Grainside said:

The BA have been concerned from a health and safety point of view about vehicles parking at the staithe. With many holiday makers with children about I agree. 

They are going to errect posts to prevent vehicle access to part of the staithe. There will be an area left for loading and unloading. 

The plans will be posted in the notice board at the staithe shortly for all to see.

Chris 

That seems fair from thirty miles away!

• Like 1

Could someone bring me up to date on this? I have always understood that the holiday chalets along the river at Potter could only be lived in during the summer months. Are they now being used as dwellings? If so, surely they should have road access.

We’ve just bought one.
I’m assuming type A and B leases have the same criteria but I don’t know that.
They are holiday homes and the lease says they shouldn’t be your main home. You can stay overnight in them for 50 weeks a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grainside said:

Chris 

'the selfish few' well that's nice to be thought of so highly. 

I'll reserve judgement on the plans until I see them but I would suspect the part they will block off is the bit we all use/need for loading etc. Loading down the dyke just isn't practical in many instances. 

49 minutes ago, grendel said:

its not as if the public car park is a million miles from the site really, atleast the loading / unloading is allowed for.

Where is the public car park? 

Sorry if I caused offence riverman that was not my intention. 

I am assuming that the area is meant for temporary transfers between land and water.I could be wrong. However, if everyone used it as a public car park we might be in a bit of a state!

I  agree, where is the public car park ? If Lathams carry on as planned there will be a grave lack of parking over three hours.

My understanding is that bollards are going to be erected to  more clearly separate a ‘pedestrian’ area from a ‘traffic’ area.  Vehicles will still be able to enter/exit by the existing driveways, and pull right up on to the part of the staithe that projects between the dyke shared with Herbert Woods and the next dyke along, allowing loading etc on three sides of that ‘peninsula’. However, access will be denied to the area where the benches are, between that peninsula and the road, and it will be expected that vehicles depart and park elsewhere once loading/unloading is complete.

... oh, and the idea originated with the BA, but the plans were discussed with the Parish Council and the bungalows residents association representatives, and some of the contractors who regularly use the staithe (and who have been invited to tender to do the work), all of whom have agreed that the plans are a sensible way forward for all concerned; to allow proper commercial use of the staithe at the same time as keeping visitors safe.

• Like 4

Well, I stand corrected. Seems like a sensible proposal although I find it hard to believe anything short of the Berlin wall would stop the holiday makers trying to kill themselves behind equipment when we're loading up on there. 

'some of the contractors' It'll be interesting to see if we're asked, I doubt that though somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not much seems to be happening. This makes me worry!

I don't think that any plans for the proposals for the staithe have been forthcoming. The minutes for the November parish council meeting say that there was a presentation by the BA and the details were placed in the " circulation box". I have not been able to find out how we mere mortals are able to access this information. Surely it couldn't be that plans are being laid in such a way that the democratic process is being sidelined?

Does anyone have any up to date information?