Council In East London Encouraging The Rules Of The River.

Image result for  cycling zebra crossing

The above is in London but they have been building these  in Norwich, which means Norwich council is encouraging an dangerous act.. The one on Fifers lane is a classic of bad design where the cyclist appear from behind a high hedge.

Cycling England’s advice is that: “A number of mainland European countries allow the use of zebra style pedestrian crossings by cyclists. At present it is not unlawful for cyclists to cycle across zebra crossings within the UK. However, since there is no legal requirement for motorists to give way when they do, encouraging this practice may increase hazards for cyclists. Where cycle tracks naturally bring cyclists to such facilities, wider than normal crossings should be provided and ‘Cyclists dismount’ signs used. Cycle track approaches should also have a bend on the immediate approaches to the zebra crossing to slow cyclists’ speeds.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Image result for  cycling zebra crossing

The above is in London but they have been building these  in Norwich, which means Norwich council is encouraging an dangerous act.. The one on Fifers lane is a classic of bad design where the cyclist appear from behind a high hedge.

Cycling England’s advice is that: “A number of mainland European countries allow the use of zebra style pedestrian crossings by cyclists. At present it is not unlawful for cyclists to cycle across zebra crossings within the UK. However, since there is no legal requirement for motorists to give way when they do, encouraging this practice may increase hazards for cyclists. Where cycle tracks naturally bring cyclists to such facilities, wider than normal crossings should be provided and ‘Cyclists dismount’ signs used. Cycle track approaches should also have a bend on the immediate approaches to the zebra crossing to slow cyclists’ speeds.”

Officially called Parallel Crossings, they are sometimes called tiger crossings and are now approved by DfT and in the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions. They are a standard tool to link cycle routes accross roads. I believe motorists are obliged to give way under rule 183. However I think the code struggles to keep up with improvements to cycle design design standards.

Not in the highway code, as a cyclist is required to dismount and push a bike across a Zebra crossings . Rule 183 applies to bicycle lanes ALONG the carriageway.

Rule 79

Do not ride across equestrian crossings, as they are for horse riders only. Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your cycle across.

• Like 1

The problem is The Highway Code is not keeping up with current design thinking. Another problem is design changes over the years since people have taken their driving test. In many areas now they are introducing the concept of shared space where the kerbs are removed to bring the pavement and road level. Often road markings are also removed to create intentional uncertainty about who has the right of way, which is meant to slow everyone down and therefore be safer. Studies have shown however that where traffic flow is below 90 car per hour it seems to work. Once traffic flow is above this then people revert to type and create a virtual pavement fronting any property, and traffic starts to move faster again and segregation occurs again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Not in the highway code, as a cyclist is required to dismount and push a bike across a Zebra crossings . Rule 183 applies to bicycle lanes ALONG the carriageway.

Rule 79

Do not ride across equestrian crossings, as they are for horse riders only. Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your cycle across.

Yes you are right. I thought it had been updated. Sadly it is not observed by motorists or cyclists very often round these parts.

Oh, I thought that was the lane for Australian cyclists.

on the subject of crossings and high hedges, I nearly flattened a group of 3 cyclists, who did just that, straight out from behind a high hedge at right angles to the road, onto a pedestrian crossing, fortunately the crossing is just around the corner from my house, so I always go slow there, and managed to stop. the three police cyclists did have the shame to look guilty at crossing contrary to the lights.

• Like 1

I once had a teenager on a bicycle crossing the zebra on the Coltishall road in Hoveton shout at me when I beeped at him "don't you know this is a pedestrian crossing"? I was so surprised I forgot to shout out "well get of the ******* bike then"...