Dodgy CO Detectors

ChrisB

• grendel changed the title to Dodgy CO Detectors

Your best off not buying anything your life depends on from China on Ebay or Amazon.

My advice is only buy products you can recognise and being sold by other UK retailers but with Ebay and Amazon you always run the risk of fakes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

but with Ebay and Amazon you always run the risk of fakes.

I'd disagree with that, as my products have been placed in respected retail outlets without them even knowing, until they have tried to return a faulty pair to me. I couldnt tell it was fake by the packaging but the product was less that 10% of the quality of the genuine product of mine.  So its not just fleabay and amazon.

• Like 1

Sorry but i dont understand what your saying?

The way I see it is you have far more chance picking up something thats fake from Amazon or Ebay than you have using argos/screwfix and the likes.

Some people are not savvy enough to be able to spot the difference or know what a poor quality imitation of something else looks like, take iphone accessories for example.  How many iphone lightning cables are listed on ebay for 1.99 as genuine!

• Like 1

fake electrical cable has been found at such outlets as screwfix, and electrical retailers, this is cable with all the right stampings and markings, but where the insulation is of poor quality, with a lower fire rating, and the copper conductors are not as big as they should be (10% smaller cross section). this has been shipped into the country and distributed widely to the supply chain.

If this can be done for electrical cable, then it can be done with anything.

Just now, grendel said:

fake electrical cable has been found at such outlets as screwfix, and electrical retailers, this is cable with all the right stampings and markings, but where the insulation is of poor quality, with a lower fire rating, and the copper conductors are not as big as they should be (10% smaller cross section). this has been shipped into the country and distributed widely to the supply chain.

If this can be done for electrical cable, then it can be done with anything.

I dont think I said anywhere in my post that it couldnt!!  I give up...

Just now, dnks34 said:

I dont think I said anywhere in my post that it couldnt!!  I give up...

Sorry, I was just making a general point, not responding to your post, though I dont personally think you are safe from fakes even if you pay the full list price and go to a genuine retailer these days.

I dont think anyone was attacking you, just disagreeing that it was just ebay and amazon.

half the time I think the fakes come from the same factory as the real thing but are the ones that failed the quality testing.

I agree Grendel, you are not safe from fakes or poor quality products anywhere but there are those that will knowingly sell you something thats rubbish and your much more likely to get that on Ebay.  When its a life preservation device its not worth the risk, but for a 1.99 iphone lightening cable I might just take the risk, not the charging plugs however, fake ones of those can be just as lethal, and 240v lightbulbs.....

I would hope atleast that the trusted uk retailers are not deliberating selling items they know to be fake. 

If its anything that could kill you, think very carefully where you buy it from. 

There are a lot of products listed on Ebay that are shipped direct from China. I have bought such goods and the Customs declaration has been to say the least stretching the truth. I seem to remember a vibration hour metre for my lawn mower was a "present"