What's This Called And What's Missing?

Big metal lump on the bow, with a bolt through it holding precisely nothing. The mud weight line disappears into a pipe thing angled toward the bow, just behind the big metal lump.

What is the big metal lump called please?

What is the missing bit and could I/should I replace it?

What is the pipe thing called?

Apologies for the technical language! lol

BowThing.jpg

I believe it is a bow roller, or anchor roller. Designed to keep the mudweight out a little from the bow as you lift it so it doesn't come into contact with the bow. People have mixed feelings about them on The Broads because if bow to bow or bow to stern with a boat that has one it can be difficult to protect from damage being caused by them. They also tend to be the first thing that makes contact if someone comes in a little "hot" and doesn't quite stop in time.

• Like 1

The pipe is called a "Hawse Pipe" what you want on that bow is a "Bow Roller" it will make the job much easier. Best if fitted above the rollee with a drop nose pin to act as a keep.

Thank you all.. you live and learn! It's good to know the correct names for things but I can understand why there could be concern about them, maybe that's why a previous owner removed mine! I don't mind letting it down and pulling it up manually. Not that I ever attempt mooring other than dead slow but we also have a sizable bow fender which should be the first point of contact if a mistake is made!

Am I alone in worrying about other people's boats more than my own? Every boat is someone's pride and joy, they can be repaired but you don't want to have to repair them in the first place :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 40something said:

bow.jpg

I am not a big fan of pulpit rails on rivers as they make it difficult to get off the bow when mooring and you have to keep passing the mooring lines under them.

They are great, however, for leaning on in safety while hauling up a mud weight. The same job, in fact, that they were designed for when anchoring offshore. So the bow roller would not then be so important.

• Like 1

Our previous owner had a new rubber strake (think that's the right term) fitted all round, I guess my bow protector/roller was modified then.

With the front well of a mark 3 there is at least the luxury of getting a good brace and leaning back to pull up the weight. Odd how the same weight feels so much heavier than it did 35 years ago :)

• Haha 2