Jackdaws.

Breydon

All Corvids tend to flock in Autumn, along with their "this years" young. Often different species flock together. The Jackdaw has few enemies unlike the Carrion Crow, Magpie and Jay, who are not liked for their appetite for eggs and chicks.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply ChrisB but at one time I never saw a jackdaw or very rarely.

One that I do remember when I was a child and one of my neighbours used to feed one and it was very tame despite that it was free to fly. Obviously he called it Jackie and it always came back to visit him. He used to clap his hands and it would call to him.

13 hours ago, Jbx5 said:

A few weeks ago at Beccles there was a Jackdaw on the over head wires in the Mooring basin talking to itself first thing in the morning, I thought I was hearing things at first or had a few too many the night before.

John

They've disappeared now, but almost every spring/summer, I have around half a dozen Jackdaws on my roof and from about 4 or 5 o'clock in the morning they chatter and argue amongst themselves. You would swear that they were 'talking' in some indecipherable foreign language.

I'm not sure that Jackdaw numbers have increased, though that may be the case, but in Autumn and winter they will congregate in large numbers, as has already been said. Corvid roosts are quite a sight (and sound). If anyone is around the Brundall area during winter,  a visit to the corvid roost at  Buckenham Carr Wood, really is a sight to see, if you're interested in natural history.