How Many People Can You Carry On A Boat

DJB

We are going to hire a large boat that can sleep 4+2.

There are more of us going who will be land based. 

In total there will be two of us living on the boat and 7 plus a toddler and two infants onshore. I'd like to take us all to a pub during the day. Would the hire company object to this? It's not a major issue if they do as I can send the overspill via taxi.

Usually hire boats display a plaque which gives a max weight allowed of passengers + luggage. I would think in your case that the hire company may not be covered by insurance in the event of an accident if it is overloaded. Best check with the boatyard.

Chances are they will be more amiable about it if you speak to them first than they are with the crews that pick up a boat aas a couple then pick up the rest down river for a week on the lash.

That said a lot of private boats are rated as so many berths which is fine while you are all laying down but when everyone is awake and wanting to move about it's a nightmare, my old boat could (and did on one occaision) sleep 7 but 2+ dog was enough and 3+dog was hard work.

Edit: remember if something cute floats by (it's duckling season) 9 people all going to gawp over the same side is a hell of a weight shift, I've seen a freeman 22 do a full flip over many years ago.