John Williams - Stalham - Rip

BroadAmbition

It is with a sad and heavy heart that I report that John Died early hours of Wednesday morning 23rd July.  John has been in poor health recently primarily heart issues.

John (and his wife Sandy) have been family friends with our family for decades, as far back as I can remember.

He was instrumental in the restoration of R641 'Broad Ambition guiding our team through the 5 1/2 years it took us to restore her.  Indeed it was John who 'Found' her for us back in 2001.  She was also recommissioned at his yard on the garden front.

John was a very gentle, soft spoken well mannered man.  I never heard him speak ill of anyone.  If he couldn't say something nice about someone, he chose to say nowt at all

He had a wealth of talent amassed over the years in his chosen field of boat building / repairs.  His workshop / Shed is now the property of the Museum of the Broads - An apt and fitting farewell for him I would offer.

As of yet no idea when the funeral arrangements will be, his nephew Steve (Broads Authority) will let me know in due course.

I am so going to miss him, am doing so already.

Tarra John, you were a great friend.  Say hello to my Dad once again will you?

Griff

Here's John after towing 'B.A' round to her yard for her engine installation

BA NBN 607.JPG

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

Yes, a real sad loss to the Broads. I had the good fortuneto meet John on the odd occaision, and found him a real gentleman, and someone who was passionate about historic Broads boats. I once remarked on the stunning workmanship on one of the boats he restored, one of Moore big woodies with those oval side windows, and he was so appreciative of the fact a young chap (i was once) said how beautiful she looked in all her varnished glory. I hope the skills and flare that he had can be found in some of the younger generation of today, if they can, it will be a tribute to John and his ilk.

R.I.P good sir.

• Like 3