Bargain Basement (moonlight Shadow, Thunder, Freya Ii

Due to buying Cockatoo we are looking to sell our shares in Moonlight Shadow and Thunder and also to sell Freya.

8% Moonlight Shadow, £2000 Details here https://www.bcbm.co.uk/boats/broads-cruisers-page-127.html

8% Thunder £4500 Details Here https://www.bcbm.co.uk/boats/broads-cruisers-page-129.html

Freya II is a 19ft Seawych that I bought as a project. Currently the mast and sails are not fitted and some small fittings are needed to complete. She has a 5hp Honda outboard and is currently moored in Horning (moorings paid until November). Broads toll is paid until the new year in April. I am looking to either sell her or swap for a dinghy I can use as a tender to Cockatoo.

Steve

Please note that the prices above are dependent on the purchaser coming to me direct, not available through BCBM although they will be dealing with the paperwork :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve ,

I am thinking of buying a share in Thunder and due to visit her this Saturday.I have been speaking to Oldgregg about his half share but i am also considering a full share. please could you tell me about the weeks you have available in your share. Could you tell me how much your yearly payments have gone up every year and how cold and damp is the boat in the winter.

Thanks

Hayley

Hi Cockatoo,

On 20/08/2019 at 08:10, Cockatoo said:

Freya II is a 19ft Seawych that I bought as a project. Currently the mast and sails are not fitted and some small fittings are needed to complete. She has a 5hp Honda outboard and is currently moored in Horning (moorings paid until November). Broads toll is paid until the new year in April. I am looking to either sell her or swap for a dinghy I can use as a tender to Cockatoo.

I'm in a position where I have a dinghy ( 10' GRP, more details can follow) which I would like to sell, and have a friend who I think would very much like a Seawych. he has had one in the past.

My friend is, at the moment out on Nyx and the dinghy is in another friends garden so pics might take a while!

I don't know which is most amazing!   Is it that the two things could dovetail so neatly, or that I have two friends!

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, hayleyq said:

Hi Steve ,

I am thinking of buying a share in Thunder and due to visit her this Saturday.I have been speaking to Oldgregg about his half share but i am also considering a full share. please could you tell me about the weeks you have available in your share. Could you tell me how much your yearly payments have gone up every year and how cold and damp is the boat in the winter.

Steve's fairly new to the syndicate so I might be able to help with this one..

Since Thunder has left Brooms and moved to Richardson's, the running costs have gone down and as such the payments have not really increased and there has been more money in the pot to continue improving the boat.

Any boat will be a bit cold in winter, though Thunder has had new 5KW diesel-fired central heating installed in the last few years. In the forward cabin particularly (very near where the heater is situated) that gets things nice and toasty.

The main thing on any boat is to make sure some of the hopper type windows are open (as mad as that seems) and have the heating running. This allows the moisture to escape and the boat to still stay reasonably warm.

• Like 1

Hayley,

I have a half share in Thunder and have had since 2011.

Annual running costs have not really changed since 2015

And for my 2 weeks share they have been:

Management fee £220
Running costs £455

This excludes the Winter Maintenance which jumps around a bit depending on what we choose to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Hi Cockatoo,
I'm in a position where I have a dinghy ( 10' GRP, more details can follow) which I would like to sell, and have a friend who I think would very much like a Seawych. he has had one in the past.
My friend is, at the moment out on Nyx and the dinghy is in another friends garden so pics might take a while!
I don't know which is most amazing!   Is it that the two things could dovetail so neatly, or that I have two friends!
No rush MM :)

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

11 hours ago, oldgregg said:

The main thing on any boat is to make sure some of the hopper type windows are open (as mad as that seems) and have the heating running. This allows the moisture to escape and the boat to still stay reasonably warm.

I must admit I wasn't aware of that John. Are you saying the boat is warmer with the windows open? 

54 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I must admit I wasn't aware of that John. Are you saying the boat is warmer with the windows open? 

The boat interior will have a lower relative humidity with the windows providing ventilation, this will make the air dryer and make the atmoshere  ' feel' warmer.

The temperature will be lower than with the windows closed but the increased airflow will reduce the formation of condensation on colder surfaces.

Moderate heat and moderate ventilation is the key to condensation control.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, indeed.

Warm air heating is great for Broads boats as it helps dry the air out, hence why you see it so prominently on hirefleets.

It also suits the interior of our widebeam boats better as on a tidal system with large lakes we can't have hulls with flat bottoms and flat sides otherwise the boats would be impossible to handle.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The boat interior will have a lower relative humidity with the windows providing ventilation, this will make the air dryer and make the atmoshere  ' feel' warmer.

The temperature will be lower than with the windows closed but the increased airflow will reduce the formation of condensation on colder surfaces.

Moderate heat and moderate ventilation is the key to condensation control.

Yeah, indeed.

Warm air heating is great for Broads boats as it helps dry the air out, hence why you see it so prominently on hirefleets.

It also suits the interior of our widebeam boats better as on a tidal system with large lakes we can't have hulls with flat bottoms and flat sides otherwise the boats would be impossible to handle - And that leaves us with less long flat surfaces on the inside of the hull on which to mount radiators.

• Like 1

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the answer.
Can i ask how do you find only having 1 summer week every two years .

Thanks
Hayley

When Thunder (and other BCBM managed syndicates) were first set up there was 12.5 shares with the 0.5 share having fixed weeks in Spring and summer. That’s the share I have so we have a spring and summer week every year. It’s also a school’s holiday share so it’s a school holiday week every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network