What An Amazing Journey!!

Meantime

With thoughts turning towards the end of season and the upcoming end of season service, I decided to purchase some spares online from a popular chandlery in Beccles. Not being in a rush I opted for the normal 2 day delivery, rather than the next day slightly more expensive option. The parts are due with me today in South Essex and I logged onto the DHL tracking website to see if they were out for delivery yet. Imagine my surprise when I found out that my spare parts have probably done more miles this year than the boat!!!!! Absolute madness!!!

Tuesday, October 01, 2019LocationTimePiece

11 With delivery courier STANSTED - UK09:07 1 Piece

10 Arrived at Delivery Facility in STANSTED - UKSTANSTED - UK05:09 1 Piece

9 Departed Facility in LONDON-HEATHROW - UKLONDON-HEATHROW - UK03:39 1 Piece

8 Processed at LONDON-HEATHROW - UKLONDON-HEATHROW - UK02:22 1 Piece

7 Arrived at Sort Facility LONDON-HEATHROW - UKLONDON-HEATHROW - UK02:04 1 Piece

Monday, September 30, 2019LocationTimePiece

6 Departed Facility in EAST MIDLANDS - UKEAST MIDLANDS - UK23:57 1 Piece

5 Processed at EAST MIDLANDS - UKEAST MIDLANDS - UK23:15 1 Piece

4 Arrived at Sort Facility EAST MIDLANDS - UKEAST MIDLANDS - UK22:30 1 Piece

3 Departed Facility in CAMBRIDGE - UKCAMBRIDGE - UK20:34 1 Piece

2 Processed at CAMBRIDGE - UKCAMBRIDGE - UK20:24 1 Piece

1 Shipment picked up CAMBRIDGE - UK10:04

15 minutes ago, Regulo said:

With the mention of Stansted, Heathrow and East Midlands, do we take it these parts were flown around? Or are these facilities just distribution hubs for road transport? Who knows.

Given that it could very easily have gone from Cambridge to Stansted by road in about 40 mins, I'm assuming it has been flown from Cambridge to East Midlands, then onto Heathrow and finally back to Stansted! Why it went from Beccles to Cambridge rather than direct to Stansted is still a mystery.

It's  not where it went that is the problem Stanstead is not a sorting hub.

Its just a logistics hub, DHL do have a large amount of planes at Stanstead.

Heathrow is their sorting hub and East Midlands is the local delivery hub for Cambridge.

24 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

You beat me to it. Go into a shop and buy them, much more environmentally friendly. 

You sure? It's a round trip for me of about 200 miles. At a sensible speed my car would do 34 mpg. So about 6 gallons or give or take £36 in petrol. The place I purchased the parts from only open Mon - Fri and I don't intend any mid week trips to Norfolk before doing the engine service.

The P+P cost me £5.50. I could off course driven to Maldon, if Marinestore had all the parts, which they don't, or TCS Chandlery in Grays, if they had all the parts which they don't or driven to a combination of places!!!

However I wasn't expecting DHL to complete such a mammoth journey.

4 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

At least according to their log, it's still in one piece.

Hopefully, it still hasn't arrived yet. Although two other parts ordered from eBay the same day, and coming from Mid Lothian have just arrived with the friendly post lady. Don't know what journey it took, but still good service and they were a good price to.

4 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

You sure? It's a round trip for me of about 200 miles. At a sensible speed my car would do 34 mpg. So about 6 gallons or give or take £36 in petrol. The place I purchased the parts from only open Mon - Fri and I don't intend any mid week trips to Norfolk before doing the engine service.

The P+P cost me £5.50. I could off course driven to Maldon, if Marinestore had all the parts, which they don't, or TCS Chandlery in Grays, if they had all the parts which they don't or driven to a combination of places!!!

However I wasn't expecting DHL to complete such a mammoth journey.

Ah, apologies due, when you mentioned Beccles, I thought you not far away. We're in East Dorset, so if I'd ordered it, it would have come via Edinburgh, then Amsterdam, and finally via penzance 😂😂