Wet weather gear

Hi All

Bit of a salty question so I put it here - but also relevant to the broads.

We have been looking at wet weather gear. Currently we have just el cheapo green plastic over jack and trousers. They keep you dry but make you sweat like mad and we look like green beans. We had a look around at the boat show and there was a bewlildering choice of Coastal, Inshore, Offshore, Explorer etc etc, and as usual the sales staff could not really tell us what we needed.

I think we do need to get jacket and trousers for mooring, flybridge helming and general fannying about, but we won't be out in the rain all the time like a saily would be.

What do you recommedend?

Thanks

Wayne

I favour a breathable Musto coastal jacket and overtrousers as a standard wet weather (as opposed to foul weather) outfit on a cruiser. Like Wanty, on an open fishing boat I really like the CoSalt flotation suit as it offers a bit more freedom and is very warm, still needs a lifejacket though as only the really expensive commercial ones are self righting.

Don't laugh :lol: but I used to use my textile motorcycle clothing - dry in the heaviest of rain, breathable, warm in winter due the linings and cool in the summer with the linings removed. Jacket cost £80 and the trousers £60. And they obviously serve me well on my bike :dance

i have Reggatta and Helly hansen stuff

and the reg is no where near as good as the HH

you can get the waterproof over stuff its lightweight and really waterproof

and then if you want you can get base linings and a fleece to go under it for warmth

the reg is obviously cheaper than HH though

and reg do a good range for the really good stuff too