Floorboard Stain Removing?

LizG

Not strictly a restoration project but I have finally got around to sanding down my white boat floor boards.  I brought them home back in the autumn as a winter project with the plan that I would start sanding with the orbital sander on a nice spring time weekday when no one else in our road would be home!! Only thing I did do was on a visit to Norfolk back in February was to get advice on the best varnish, then bought the necessary varnish and the non slip beads and 'picked' up a  piece of wood............

The boards come in four sections of three planks and each section have batons holding them together.

Although one of the sections (forward port) had shown signs of black staining for some years,  I hadn't noticed was that one of the batons had become completely rotten and there was evidence of damp getting in in several places!!  The result is that the wood which should according to class rules be redwood has stained in places very badly so what I want to know is - is there anything these days that can be used to remove the stain apart from sanding and sanding and sanding down?

Any thoughts on a postcard. 

Liz

2 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Oxalic acid Liz.

Comes in either premixed or powder form. We have had some pretty good results on oak, mahogany and even faced ply wood. 

Be patient though, it takes a while to do its stuff 

2 hours ago, grendel said:

I had heard the same, only use it on the area you want lightened though as it will lighten the other non stained wood as well.

Thanks - that's what I once heard but I wasn't sure it was available.  Once tried to extract it from rhubarb leaves but that didn't work (both extracting and using).  Any suggestions where I could get it from (in the current climate)

Liz

52 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Do you apply with a brush then let it air dry or do you rinse it off then air dry?

I brushed it on, it dried on its own and I washed it down probably three days later then sanded and varnished as normal. It took probably 80% of the black out.

• Like 2