Mooring Question, Southern Broads

Thompo10

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

That’s good to know! Handy if you want a short stop off at Beccles. I gather the new Lidl that’s near the Yacht Station is now open.

Yes been up and running now for a few months. good thing about their new builds like Aldi, is you cannot get lost in them, all built and stocked the same.

One of the things that puts me and the girlfriend off visiting the Southern broads is the (so I hear) lack of wild moorings and mudweighting opportunities. For us, we really enjoy being moored/weighed for the night with no one around. Upper levels of the River Ant on the wild moorings have been some of our favourite times.

From what I understand, there's plenty of 'official' moorings on the South but not so much in the way of wild

Guest Jayfire
16 minutes ago, Thompo10 said:

Im so grateful I found this community, really appreciate the advice. 

Would you guys recommend including norwich?

If you're coming darn sarf Thompo, there aren't really any stop offs that I wouldn't recommend. You'll hear lots of scare stories about Norwich but it is a lovely place to stop and visit, although if you can avoid a Friday and Saturday night you'll possibly enjoy it a little more.

Going back to your original question regarding the Southern river moorings, it isn't even possible to book most spots but as I always think, if you can't  get in at one, it just means you can enjoy another :default_beerchug:

:default_xmas2:

Guest Jayfire
23 minutes ago, 750XL said:

One of the things that puts me and the girlfriend off visiting the Southern broads is the (so I hear) lack of wild moorings and mudweighting opportunities. For us, we really enjoy being moored/weighed for the night with no one around. Upper levels of the River Ant on the wild moorings have been some of our favourite times.

From what I understand, there's plenty of 'official' moorings on the South but not so much in the way of wild

You have to bear in mind that the tides are much stronger darn sarf than tup Norf and it has a much greater rise and fall, especially in comparison to spots like the upper Ant. There are places that you can mudweight on the Southern broads but more care and consideration of the conditions is needed

Could you also claim Geldeston Dyke as a wild mooring? Much less tidal rise and fall up there to worry about (provided you can get under Beccles Old Bridge). Also part way between there and Beccles is an area with new key heading but isn’t a formal mooring.

Peter (Jenny Morgan) also posted last year about a number of wild moorings south of Somerlayton down towards Oulton Broad.

There are three mooring spots between Waveney River Centre and Beccles that look idyllic. Only space for 2-3 boats on each, so very quiet: North Cove BA mooring, Worlingham Staithe BA mooring and Aldeby Staithe, which is private with an overnight charge...possibly £5?

Also, don’t think you can beat Surlingham Broad, also known as Bargate for mudweighting. Or so I’m told. 

Sadly we haven’t managed to do that overnight yet as we have a dog. I’m thinking that when we next get a summer allocation on Moonlight Shadow that we need to take advantage of our nearby home mooring in Brooms to take the dog for a walk shortly before sunset and then sneak into Bargate for an overnight stop over.

I can but hope.

:default_rolleyes:

South is awful and best avoided. 🤥 

If you like the hotspots and plenty of other boats etc, north has much to offer. Best visited early and late season imo. The river above Beccles has to be my favourite for peace and quiet on a beautiful stretch of water. The big boats can’t get up there and, whilst it does attract some day boaters, most seem to head off downstream from Beccles. Darn, didn’t mean to give all that away! :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Jayfire

The problem those who don't venture Darn Sarf face, especially those who don't leave their marina moorings up North, is that beside the monsters, tides, tidal waves, horrendously violent locals, awfully ugly Southern roaming singing idiots, poor pubs, lack of moorings etc etc etc, is that it is hard to appreciate the drop in water levels to sort your lines, when you're used to a few inches rise and fall

I mean 1600(ish) today

20200822_163948.thumb.jpg.86e44bf88a7fab480c09a9abcdeb9c1a.jpg

2000(ish)

20200822_200759.thumb.jpg.73b902d1b03b3e682f79665bebccc2ec.jpg

Ooh silly me haven't I introduced you all??? :default_smiley-angelic002:

The party boat is in full swing, I assure you 🍾

Guest Jayfire
6 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Whoohoo! See you are afloat again Mr J. Lots more photos please!

No Helen. Unfortunately the boat I  bought was sinking, I just took a couple of pics to remember what she looked like dry side up :default_unsure:

Guest Jayfire
4 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Where are you moored...Polkey’s Mill?

I sure am.

Ooh I can feel a new game coming on, you might even have a chance with this one too. Not like that pesky Mr Bog :default_dry:

Erm I mean Nog :default_smiley-angelic002:

Guest Jayfire
3 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Could you put that in English please Cap’n, (I do worry about you!)

oh keep up Mrs V, if you want to moan at me....in this way anyway, then you're going to have to be quicker than this :default_biggrin:

:default_icon_kiss:

Yay! Okay, I know, no prizes for guessing the location. :default_mellow:

Mrs V, I think you’re right about the big drops! Ably demonstrated by Jay’s photos. Actually, if the yards could show hirers similar photos it might get the message across about taking care where there’s a greater rise and fall in the tide.

Guest Jayfire
5 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I must admit I am a bit wary of Polkey’s, it’s all so fast there with big drops. That is what you meant isn’t it? :default_smiley-angelic002:

Of course Mrs V, what else could I be talking about that you're far too scared to come and experience? :default_smiley-angelic002:

Guest Jayfire
1 minute ago, YnysMon said:

Actually, if the yards could show hirers similar photos it might get the message across about taking care where there’s a greater rise and fall in the tide.

Are you asking hire yards to show photos of me to put people off coming south Helen??? :default_sad:

Oh I'm not that mean really, you can have a prize for guessing where it was first. So what do you want for a prize???? :default_biggrin: