Hic !

Wussername

Thanks Mark, that’s really helpful advice.

When we do manage to speak he sounds like he’s coping quite well, seems physically to be coping very well for his age (late 80s), getting plenty of exercise and taking the necessary precautions. He opted to join the RAF as a medical orderly in the 1950s instead of randomly doing National Service, so he says he knows what precautions to take.

Just not being able to contact him is a stress.

• Like 3

If he uses a mobile phone then setting it to vibrate may help bring his attention to the call, otherwise I'm pretty sure you can get landline phones that flash as well as ring that can help avoid missed calls.

I second the idea of speaking to his local council, it's certainly reassuring that my mum has a non intrusive monitoring scheme from hers.

• Like 1

There's an elderly couple lives in the road my parents just moved from, they have family that live in Wales so not easy for them to just visit. I regularly knocked there to see if they needed anything during the first lock down.

When I'm shopping or doing the school run I still pop round there to check every few days. I went by yesterday on a walk with the children and on the doorstep was a bottle of wine (they know me so well :default_biggrin:) and a thank you card sent from Wales by the son. Of course I don't do it for reward but it really made me feel chuffed and a great sense of feeling I'm 'doing my bit' if you like x

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Like so many of you There's just the 2 of us at home and we're not able to go and see the family who live in London. We usually went once a fortnight  and I really miss that contact. We go out each morning (weather permitting) to get the papers, that's  a distance of about a mile round trip. We've got to know lots of different people who because of the situation were at home rather than at work which is a good thing to come out of this debacle.What's worrying me is that I've started not to mind not going out for meals or to the cinema and other things we used to do. I'm concerned it will make us old before our time .Having made the decision to sell our boat last year life was going to change drastically for us anyway and  it may be that we mentally prepared  ourselves for a much more sedentary life and that's why we're coping with it without major trauma - I just have to hope so.

Carole

• Like 3

I think as things open up and some form of normality returns then your appetite for going out will return with it. It's also Autumn of course and some kind of ancient hibernation gene is probably kicking in, come the Spring you'll be back hunting dinosaurs 🙂

• Haha 2