Gell Coat / Tupperware Advice Needed

Finally this year, probably this / next month I intend to refurbish our dinghy 'Tender Too'  We intend to be afloat with grandkids and they will love it so I need to get my digit out and get it ready in all respects

All the woodwork will be stripped back then painted / varnished, a new dagger board to be made, anti foul and some other fettling.  All that I'm fine with and can manage in my own time quite happily

Where I need advice with is the hull exterior.  I need to make one small repair with some sort of gell coat filler, thoroughly clean then polish the lot.

I will get a couple of polishing mops for the cordless.  Which cleaning / polishing products does those that know recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Griff

BA NBN 944.JPG

BA NBN 945.JPG

I might be wrong here and with a bit of luck Vaughan or Freedomholidays will correct me if I am.

These car cleaning products are great on genuine gelcoat, however can cause problems if the surface has been painted.

If the painted surface needs re-painting but had been treated with these polishes, there is an issue with the fresh coat adhering to the old paint.

20 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

These car cleaning products are great on genuine gelcoat, however can cause problems if the surface has been painted.

If the painted surface needs re-painting but had been treated with these polishes, there is an issue with the fresh coat adhering to the old paint.

Good point, I was (selfishly) just thinking gel coat...

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Thanks Jemaki, is that a cleaner, a polish / protector or both?

Farecla G3 fine finishing compound gives a high gloss finish when used by hand or mop, they also do a G3 high gloss wax.

G3 for cleaning hull - use plenty of water, i use any old kitchen spray bottle and if you are using an electric polisher use only a very low speed setting for the cleaning phase. You won't need a big bottle - they do tubes.

For polish I use a Starbrite one ,Premium Marine Polish with Teflon - its the one in a black tub. Expensive but goes a long way, the paste goes on easily and more importantly, buffs off easily very soon after application. If you go to a car accessory shop you can get polishing stockinette in big rolls quite cheaply.

Then top it off with two coats Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

Alternatively you could just chuck it back in and have a beer - looks ok to me! Its only a dinghy!!!!!!

1 hour ago, marshman said:

..if you are using an electric polisher use only a very low speed setting for the cleaning phase.

I remember the first time I used an electric buffer, I wet the mop and didn't check the speed setting - pulled the trigger and 10 quids worth of sponge mop shot off in a 20yd radius, all I was left with was the rubber base :default_blink:..

A polishing mop on a cordless will probably be like trying to shine an elephant with a spectacle lens cloth. 

Get all the dirt off first. Don't polish dirt. River scum is easily dissolved with brick acid. This can also be useful for removing brown staining. Leave it to work and refresh regularly. apply with a soft hand sweeping brush if necessary using a diluted solution. 

It's EASY to burn GRP using a polishing mop. Always keep the mop damp: use a spray bottle with water to achieve this spraying wither the mop or boat. DO NOT GO HARD, you can burn or even abrade the gell too much. There are special mops for different jobs. 

There are different grades of Farecla compounds. G3 is good. G6 for harder work, Like other abrasives, best to work through grades. It's not a finishing compound. I would suggest UV Polish to finish. 

The biggest problem with gel coat is colour. The simplest stuff to handle is Plastic Padding Gel Coat Filler. If you are working with crazed gel coat, LEAVE IT ALONE. you will not solve the problem by playing with the gel alone. If you're working with chips, smooth the edges before application. Have some acetone to hand for clean up and mistakes. 

• Thanks 3

Alternatively you could just chuck it back in and have a beer - looks ok to me! Its only a dinghy!!!!!  :default_rofl:

Original Gell - Not been painted

Thanks for all your advice / replies - Very good of you.

I'm on it

Griff