Dirty Diesel

YnysMon

Sorry, this isn’t exactly Broads related, so I may have posted it in the wrong section. I thought this would be of interest though, particularly to those who own their own boats or a share in a syndicate.

This couple ran out of diesel (previous episode) and then, once refilled, couldn’t get the engine to start again. They employed a diesel polisher who shows in the vlog the rust and diesel bug they had in their tank. Scary!

• Like 1

has anyone else seen todays episode of narrowboat chef, which goes through the issue of dirty / water mixed diesel and cleaning the fuel, in my opinion the intermediate steps shown are all essential, a magnetic filter to remove metal particles, a 1 micron filter to remove diesel bug, and water filters to remove the water - they had 40 litres of water in their tank, turned out the real issue was plastic clogging the fuel line.

I see ynsmon has beaten me to it

• Haha 1

Part of the annual service should be to drain or suck out the sludge / water at the bottom of the tank.  Running out of diesel would have made the problem worse by the fresh diesel hitting and agitating the sludge instead of a few inches of diesel.

• Like 2

Hi If you drain your tank at start of EACH season and keep tank filled you wont get the bug or have water contaminated diesel, dirt mud is only going to get into your tank if you put it their breathers should be pointed down filler caps should be water/diesel tight, dip sticks should be clean.diesel supplied from a fuel pump is filtered as it goes through the delivery hose and is sucked from above the tank bottom. John

• Like 1