HOVERCRAFT

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Here`s one to consider, is it legal to use a hovercraft on the broads, and if so, would it be restricted to the 4-6mph speed limits, due to the fact that NONE of it is actually IN the water. One last thing, how or which category would it be licensed?. Answers on a postcard please, or just post them on here.

Oddly until recent years hovercraft were licensed by the CAA but nowadays they come under the same rules as boats and the RYA run a proficiency training program. The Hovercraft Club of Great Britain are the official club and a great resource.

Hovercraft are watercraft essentially and the BA would treat them as such and would be subject to the same regulation as other watercraft.

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/

Oddly until recent years hovercraft were licensed by the CAA but nowadays they come under the same rules as boats and the RYA run a proficiency training program. The Hovercraft Club of Great Britain are the official club and a great resource.

Hovercraft are watercraft essentially and the BA would treat them as such and would be subject to the same regulation as other watercraft.

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/

Ok folks, what lights do the COLREGS say that a hovercraft supposed to show even in daylight?

Not the the BA worry about lights!

I was under the impression that you couldn't use a hovercraft on the Broads - did a little digging and found this:-

(6)The navigation area shall not be open for the navigation of any hovercraft or any other prescribed class or description of craft..

It's in the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads Act 1988 Part 2.

Don't see why to be honest....

I remember when the hovercraft was going to be the answer to all our waterbourne transport needs,

then the price of oil soared and they suddenly became VERY expensive to run as a commercial venture.

I am actually old enough to have seen the original SRN1 operating on the Solent, and having great trouble getting up the slipway at Lee on Solent.

Back in the 1970's I was also involved with attempts to use them for all sorts of things, like trying out the SRN3 as a minesweeper (no underwater effects from a hovercraft)

The idea worked until a mine went off too close when they found that rubber skirts and shrapnel didn't mix!

For rapid transport in shoal areas there is still nothing to beat them, and the minehunter concept has converted into beach assualt transports

as they dont set off pressure mines in a beach and can hence land troops across mined beaches.

Even if they allowed them on the broads they would have very limited use, after all they are regarded as power driven, non displacement,

vessels and still have to give way to the rag and sticks!

Did I dream it or did the RNLI experiment with them for use in Morcombe Bay, may even be operational there.

They didn't just experiment with them, they have them in service in areas with large areas of sand or mud that are exposed at low tide.

There are actualy four stations with hovercraft, including Morecombe (Lancashire), and New Brighton (Merseyside)

but the other two are closer to us, e.g. Southend on Sea (Essex), and even one in Hunstanton in Norfolk (on the Wash).

There are also a few other charities that operate hovercraft, e.g. at Burnham on Sea

these are I believe now grouped as Hovercraft Search and Rescue UK http://www.hsr-uk.org/

I am actually old enough to have seen the original SRN1 operating on the Solent, and having great trouble getting up the slipway at Lee on Solent.

Me too. I remember the breakthrough with the idea of the skirts.

I used to watch the SRN2, 3, 4 and 5 testing from the ramps into the Medina at East Cowes, back in the 60's and 70's.

I've got an old slide somewhere of the SRN4 (the car carrying one) going past the original Queen Mary in the Solent, off Cowes.

I found this photo of the brand new SRN6 when it first started running the Ryde to Southsea ferry service. Taken beside Ryde Pier long before the Marina was built there, in about 1965.

The American military have developed and run some really huge ones, that have never been published very widely, unlike our ones.

As for them not being permitted on the Broads, I would guess it's down to lack of maneuverability (at river speed limits).

The Hovercraft club GB states "They have the same navigation rights (and responsibilities!) as other watercraft. Tidal water is normally freely navigable, you can also use rivers (only on the tidal sections without consent) or inland waterways such as lakes (consent will probably be required)."

The tremendous noise would be a bit out of place too !

post-669-13671385742_thumb.jpg

There is still a hovercraft running on the Portsmouth - Ryde route, looks similar to the old SRN6 but Is actually a new Griffon BHT130.

This is actually the only commercial hovercraft ferry in Europe.

Steerage at river speeds would certainly be a problem, and when the wind gets up steerage at any speed can be difficult.

With nothing actually in the water they get blown down a lot and it can actually be difficult to work out what course they are actually steering when they are crabbing with their bow 45 degrees off their course!

I got "involved" with the Portsmouth Cowes one last year as she crossed the Solent and we were coming in on the last leg of the "Round the Island" yacht race.

1500 yachts with the wind astern (so not that manouvrable) and the poor pilot having to try to avoid them all!

It must be his worst day of the year...

The old "Hovercraft Development Unit" at Lee on Solent is now "the world's only hovercraft museum" and has a selection of craft, including both the SRN4's that used to provide Dover - Calais car ferry services and an SRN6.

http://www.hovercraft-museum.org

The first hovercraft, the SRN1, isn't actually there, but is held by the Science Museum.

It is stored in one of their warehouse sites and not actually on display...

I can answer the Broads Act question - When the act came into force a hovercraft was licensed by the CAA and at the time its nav lights were the same as an aircraft, ie red and green lights showing through 110 degrees and white showing 70 degrees eith side of the tail. his was to be supported by a red rotating beacon. SInce then (and the time of the Broads Act) Hovercraft have been re-classified as watercraft and no longer come under that jurisdiction and so it may be possible for that portion of the Broads Act to now be irrelevant under the terms of description as otherwise it would mean the Broads could sub-classify many other watercraft and for instance ban 'Hardy' boats from the broads or maybe 'canadian canoes'. Noise again is irrelevant as all vehicles that are used in areas of public come under the same law and the ultimate output must not be more than 97db peak with 94 db average - This noise limit also applies to all motorsport vehicles as well!

Interstingly the CAA lost interest in licensing these as they were re-termed 'In Ground Effect Watercraft' - technically the term hovercraft no longer applies and that since the 1992 statutory instrument of hovercraft fees collection, no revision was made and around 11 years ago the training came under the RYA auspicies!!

An excellent topic - especially given the local ties to this subject!

As an example of modern hovercraft useage, here is the link for the Burnham hovercraft

http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/barb/index.html

Noise again is irrelevant as all vehicles that are used in areas of public come under the same law and the ultimate output must not be more than 97db peak with 94 db average

Irrelevant ? in a National Park ? ;)

The SRN4 was a sight to behold (well as a young boy looking out from Ramsgate) my father used to take us for a run out to the coast to see them. Watch them through Bino's leaving France and see them arrive going to Pegwell Bay or Dover.

You could see them from miles on a decent day just a mass of white spray on the horizon; simple things.......................

The scale of them is difficult to imagine but they were a boys own treat to see back in those days.

Irrelevant ? in a National Park ? ;)

Yes in that boats are tied 100% (oddly) to the road vehicles construction & use act (1986) and must adhere to the same output levels - which are as stated above - and not that quiet! So think of a Harley Davidson going past - that sounds loud right - actually probably still well under the limit. Watercraft of all types (Commercial vessels excluded) must fit into those limits

As for a National Park... well even if it WAS then they would have to stop all cars driving through!!

SR.N4 Princesss Anne and Princess Margaret Hovercraft were bought for their engines for this boat..

http://www.bmpt.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=54

4 Proteus gas turbines!

No wonder they went out of service when the oil price went up!

Bit of a problem moving the hulls off the yard at Lee on Solent then...

I watched one coming into Dover in a Force 8 once.

Intresting approach angle for the harbour entrance.....

I can remember thinking I am glad I am not onboard!

Yes in that boats are tied 100% (oddly) to the road vehicles construction & use act (1986) and must adhere to the same output levels - which are as stated above - and not that quiet! So think of a Harley Davidson going past - that sounds loud right - actually probably still well under the limit. Watercraft of all types (Commercial vessels excluded) must fit into those limits

I don't think I'm making my point very clear (not unusual or me).

I'm not saying that hovercraft would not be within the letter of the law as regards noise limits, just that it's perhaps a good thing that they're not allowed on the Broads. The extreme noise that they do make would adversely effect everyone else's enjoyment of the place. True, people can (and do) run Seagull outboards with much more of a din than a Harley, but the problem with hovercraft is that there aren't any quiet ones about. Small non-commercial craft in particular are inevitably powered by lightweight air cooled engines with little or no silencing, similar to microlight aircraft.

If one of those followed you up the Ant on a Sunday afternoon (at the 4mph speed limit), you'd probably have to moor up somewhere until the din subsided into the distance... :shocked