Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

28 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Which pesticide do you use please ?

I use Nexgard flea and tick once a month, in combination with Milbemax wormer every three months. 
There is a Nexgard Spectra but that then overcovers the dog, with some things being done by both tablets. 
Only thing a three monthly Milbemax wormer doesn’t cover is lungworm. If you give it monthly it does. I did think about it when Finlay was younger as he had a habit of eating slugs which carry lungworm, but he soon grew out of that habit, even though he still hunts for them during his evening wee. 

I use an internal dose as a topical ‘spot’ one or collar would be no good for Finlay as he swims a lot. And I think the tablet ones are more effective. 
My daughter is very wary of giving Charlie doses of pesticide and therefore he quite often gets ticks. Personally I’d rather not take the risk of Lymes disease. And I suppose having worked as a stockman with cows and sheep I’m quite relaxed about dosing. Sheep get everything they possibly can do without treatments -worms of various sorts, flukes which are flatworms, cows get warble fly among other things. 

I too get the tablets as part of Finlay’s vet plan which covers, as Helen has said; vaccs, tablets, dental nurse for nail clipping (haven’t used that as I do them myself) and two check ups a year.  It ends up being cheaper than buying on their own and I get 10% discount on any consultations. 

Personally too I think anything you can buy in pet shops without prescription isn’t worth the money. There’s a high level of resistance among the pest population to the active ingredients used in non-prescription medications, mainly due to their incorrect use, just as there is in antibiotics in human medicine. 

And while we’re on the topic of dog health, I get a leptospirosis vaccination against Weils disease for Finlay annually, again because he’s in the water so much. His other vaccinations are done every 3 years as this is the current best practice. Puppy vaccines, then at 1 yr, 4yrs, 7yrs etc. 

• Thanks 1

It was a beautifully peaceful night, although I did hear the cuckoo at dawn. The wind was still and the river traffic didn’t even start as early as it sometimes does. 

Today, I’d decided to take up the recommendation of viewing the El Galeón ship in Great Yarmouth. 
First off, I needed to get to a bus stop to take me to Stalham. Womack dyke seemed a good bet so I had a lovely quiet cruise down to there, where there was plenty of space at 8.30am. 
After a quick breakfast, next job was a walk up to the bus stop with the dog and a small rucsac with a pack of sarnies and the car keys (remarkably I’d remembered them!) 
I picked up the car at Stalham including stuffing my lightweight waterproof jacket in the rucsac, and half hour later we arrived at the remarkably good value multi-storey carpark in the centre of town. £1.70 for two hours, cash only and change given. That was nice and cool and shady for the dog while I walked to the ship dominating the scene on South Quay.
38875A10-D61D-419E-8B65-3C97BE449675.thumb.jpeg.099930268f73b2e8bf1ada1788ef9972.jpeg

There was thankfully zero queue, I was onboard within 5 minutes. 
Once onboard, it was quite busy though so I must have just struck lucky with the lack of queue. 
The tour of the ship was very organised with a route cordoned off so no traffic jams. 
43EC7127-59A7-4C0F-814C-FF88CF901838.thumb.jpeg.9c80c420244f627a216c09c14e30a7cc.jpeg

3B702895-1AF8-41F3-AA90-3D451E4A29B6.thumb.jpeg.61cc6aa766158dd328bdfae8e6a3af6e.jpegHefty ropes

52DF27D0-4989-4605-BCF1-54BAD30B1DA0.thumb.jpeg.32fa7a13ee7c9ae2e6327b28376c1604.jpegNicely cheesed

9BFDE0FA-49C2-4011-B600-21F44F6B6764.thumb.jpeg.4ad5c517578a3b602156b3757c4f80e5.jpegThis anchor has 420kg imprinted on it.

BE0933E2-FFD7-4303-BDC1-7BC6E27176E7.thumb.jpeg.f89b466624ea1458300e0229c83cbaf2.jpeg

BE6DFC2F-505B-48FE-9C01-CC1842001560.thumb.jpeg.0e9dec1a5e163936d0527323af39a27b.jpeg

E1816F83-F5C9-4CC6-B913-C6C54C4F6126.thumb.jpeg.35121d058b190097b2a3d0f0d00dd44f.jpeg

65C5CCB7-D66B-4B61-B7C6-968B06EFFAE0.thumb.jpeg.2b0d30680807f2a556fd455a3134dfa8.jpeg

361C2F8E-6ECE-4EEF-B682-C1AFA2263DA7.thumb.jpeg.f3baba69f9f44000d2bd55c43487fd2e.jpeg
Crew hammock

Worth a visit, although as Grendel pointed out, she’s only there till Sunday. Plenty more ports in her schedule, including Scarborough, Whitby and Ramsgate. Can’t remember the rest but it’s on the website. 

I had a quick wander down through St George’s Park to the  prom area and walked along to the pier and back up the ‘traditional tat’ streets. 
Then I drove up to the restored Venetian Waterways to give the dog a leg stretch. Parking is free along the coast road just beyond, but beware of parking on the pay and display sections as it’s a minimum of four hours at over £6. 
It’s a relaxing potter round the gardens, but could do with a few more benches. Perhaps people tend to picnic on the extensive areas of grass. 
C7EC2B0A-5CA1-4473-83C3-7D8CBEB525D0.thumb.jpeg.8c4eaa82ba30df501614d4e425a49779.jpeg

After eating my sarnies looking out to the dunes and wind turbines, I’d have liked to say I sat in the warm sun drinking a beer from a kiosk café, but the forecast cold wind had got up, so it was a tasty hot chocolate. 

Then repeat the journey in reverse back to Womack dyke. I feel as I’ve been through a trapdoor back into the real world and then escaped back to peace again!

The reason for not mooring at Acle Bridge, which would have been so much more straightforward, leaving the dog on the boat and catching the train from Acle directly to GY, was I thought it would be too long on the boat for Finlay, once I’d taken into account a walk in excess of half hour each way to Acle and back.

A good day out, but only an adventure for now and again. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Finlay and I had a very relaxing walk from Womack dyke moorings to Potter Heigham this morning. We took the track that goes off at a right angle from Hunters Yard. It’s often fairly impassable with giant puddles and ruts, but I managed OK today in just trainers, so the ground is drying out steadily. There were loads of damselflies along there. 
C9292729-5BD1-4B6F-A2BC-E619E7FD82EC.thumb.jpeg.e2170b3450fa9b6e8755451526feb6ae.jpeg

We then went down the causeway across Horsefen which is now a superbly easy and clean track having had chippings rolled into it after the winter floods. On reaching the river at the cottage that marks the start of Potter Heigham, we walked behind some of the chalets and took the Horsefen Bank path away from the river again. This goes up through a wood/dryish carr and is also often muddy, but OK today, if a bit stinging nettly in places. There’s a little bridge across a dyke with extremely clear water in it. I could see all the little whirligig beetles whirling around under the surface. It leads across the grazing fields and to the track running behind Herbert Woods. 
148D84AE-F38C-4C67-960D-70E05E159327.thumb.jpeg.eb51b4e3c2e01b00e44023a4fee4686d.jpeg

We had a quick nosey at the boats for sale, and the bridge height, which said 5’6” at the same time as the Project Troll said 5’10”.
715E1215-3C57-4495-A447-3387B8389252.thumb.jpeg.ee90a3a3ac1121dc48089b37a5819118.jpeg

Then we walked back along the riverbank footpath to Womack dyke, waving to the crew of Sally Marie by the PH moorings. 

I came across 3 of these very tall plants - I would assume hogweed, but being way beyond the normal 6ft I wonder if they are actually giant hogweed.
841DA117-5E83-4AED-B081-CA8814867BD5.thumb.jpeg.3902dca35162bf53beb7c759e864cea6.jpeg

Anyway, very pretty, they stood out across the marsh as I came to the corner of the dyke where Toad Hall cottage is for sale. 

We then set off downstream. I ended up nearly as far as Stokesby for two reasons

1. It was raining and I didn’t fancy getting out and mooring somewhere sooner in the rain and

2. I needed a good run for a tankful of hot water to last me another couple of days. 

My actual destination was Upton dyke river end. It was free on my return and the evening has turned out really lovely. We had another walk, this time round the river as far as Upton Mill, stopping to chat with the owner in overalls with paint all over them. His renovations are coming on well. And down his track back to Upton, encountering a field of hotch potch cows including three beautiful welsh blacks.
4D378AB5-59F2-4E68-957B-43F95F9A9FAC.thumb.jpeg.07cb46f4fe39503f8e633a9a37c988d0.jpeg

And later a yard of very snug looking cows with calves. 
0047CA22-A20F-423B-A2CD-336722252BFB.thumb.jpeg.466989b20f8e073967cdf277e7d4540f.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve ever been at Upton dyke so calm and lack of wind before, delightful. 
8B4F25B7-B78C-4B5B-B329-F92319312B2F.thumb.jpeg.db4b2c3de22601f4835ef146285673eb.jpeg

• Like 11

I noticed the Dunes River Cafe at Acle Bridge was closed as I went past today. I nearly moored up to go and read the notice on the door, but looked on their website instead. Closed this week, opens again on Saturday 15th June. 

That’s a shame, but everyone needs a holiday, including those running family businesses. I feel very privileged to have worked for an organisation that gave me 33 days holiday each year, plus a week at Christmas. I never took that for granted as I know there are many people who struggle to have any time off. 

• Like 3

It didn’t say the reason on the website as to whether it’s holiday or other last minute circumstances etc. 

In the tourist industry, you sort of assume you don’t take holiday in the main season.
But perhaps on the Broads, before fishing and school holidays start, it isn’t classed as main season. 

Another beautifully bright start to the day, if a bit chilly. After a walk up to the slipway to take a photo to answer a query, and talking to numerous spaniel owners (I’m convinced the majority of dog owners in Upton own ‘spanners’ and the rest own labs), I cast off in a strengthening wind and headed for Thurne dyke where I was lucky to get on the end. I didn’t fancy going up the dyke to turn round with the very gusty wind. 
The mill has been open and running today. Not sure why I didn’t take a photo. 

Moonlight Shadow came in soon after I’d moored and once secured, Graham helped me move mine down a bit to the place I’d actually intended to be, and not quite managed on my own! 

We gave the dogs a run down the riverbank path as far as Womack dyke entrance and then had a table booked at the Lion. Quick service and tasty linguine for me and Graham, pork with veg for Helen. They aren’t doing Sunday roasts any more, hopefully only during their summer menu.

We continued our catch up with a cup of tea in Moonlight Shadow before going our separate ways. In my case this was just down the river to Boundary Farm where I’ve now realised it’s rather noisy with the water slapping the hull in this wind. Oh well, ear plugs will be in use tonight. 

Having left Finlay at the boat while in the pub, I owed him another walk. We did the circuit down to and round South Oby dyke, along the lane, back through the field edge footpath to the church, and back along past Bureside/Boundary Farm moorings. That’ll do him. 

Good day for sailing

D47166FD-2BEA-4027-A2EB-E27E81AFF768.thumb.jpeg.4ff9520b5e2f746d120c8823ebcf7afe.jpeg

Must be the neatest path in the area - a bit too manicured for me. It has a lovely young hawthorn edge along the side. There are still a few of those horrible hawthorn flies around, with the long dangly legs. 

A635FFEC-23CF-4466-9C90-A57A8AB9BDE9.thumb.jpeg.df92c89b93006c35f293557dcdd01bf8.jpeg

I have no idea what insect (presumably, don’t think it’s a spider) makes these cobwebby like infestations in some hedges at this time of year. Sometimes hedges look completely tangled in cobwebs. This is an early one. 
B4F4B439-B962-4146-B371-43396B62C9C7.thumb.jpeg.67d251360393d1f513543d08643bb351.jpeg

Nice view of the church

A075F5AC-A34D-4FBC-A339-FDF2C02D0371.thumb.jpeg.57974ec7bb352a3de3696701cc4c05ac.jpeg

This great big thing can be seen from the river on the outskirts of Thurne. It houses a big scaffolding, much higher than the house. I wonder if this is the way a second storey is added to a house, with the roof being taken off and the building protected from the weather. 

778CC9FD-1708-4A63-9E2D-2D15645324CB.thumb.jpeg.e02614d1215691c5f1dca1921a9279c0.jpeg

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I have no idea what insect (presumably, don’t think it’s a spider) makes these cobwebby like infestations in some hedges at this time of year. Sometimes hedges look completely tangled in cobwebs. This is an early one.

I was trying to find out earlier, as I've got a family apple tree which has some and I wasn't sure if it'd affect the fruit.

In the context you saw them, it's probably Hawthorn Moth larvae. I think mine might be spider mites. It can also be Ermine Moths, but they're less common apparently.

40 minutes ago, dom said:

In the context you saw them, it's probably Hawthorn Moth larvae. I think mine might be spider mites. It can also be Ermine Moths, but they're less common apparently

Yes, I think you might well be right. The black dots in the webbing would be the tiny young larvae. Thankyou. The natural world is fascinating. 

• Like 1

The scaffolding is referred to as a 'tophat' and is used to provide an area to completely remove the roof, usually to add an extra floor level, probably with a raised roofline and dormers. They do make a great area to work in and avoids various trades and the house getting wet.

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

On a clear day you can see Beccles church, from where you were standing.

Probably not from exactly there as the hedge is way higher than me. But I’ll find a gap next time or stand on the church wall. 

I’m not surprised that Beccles church, or at least the clock tower would stand out so much. I went up the tower in April. It’s high and has a superb view. But I fear there might be far too many tall stands of woodland now to see right to Thurne. 

9 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

The scaffolding is referred to as a 'tophat' and is used to provide an area to completely remove the roof, usually to add an extra floor level, probably with a raised roofline and dormers. They do make a great area to work in and avoids various trades and the house getting wet.

That’s very interesting. Maybe I’ve just never seen a house height being raised before as it’s the first time I’ve seen one. It does make perfect sense to keep the house/mortar etc dry. Builders get a bonus. 

• Like 1

Thoroughly miserable weather out there at the moment. Squally hard rain and gloom! I have no desire to go out anywhere. 
Bonus was lying in bed earlier watching a marsh harrier fly low over the field just beyond the mooring. It’s moments like that you have to appreciate the privilege of being able to be here, in their world. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

That miserable weather persisted till early afternoon so I took the opportunity to stay on the mooring and get a load of inside jobs done. My toolboxes are now far more organised and my handheld hoover freed from its disgustingly dirty filter bits for instance. And I got a fair bit of correspondence and finance stuff sorted out too. 

By the time the rain let up and the sun started to appear, I realised it had got windier still, so I had to ponder about how to leave the mooring. I thought about just staying another night , there seemed so little traffic on the river that I felt there wouldn’t be great demand on this one mooring. But in a bit of a lull in the wind, I made my decision to go and off we went upstream. 
My plan was to go up as far as Horning to give the boat a run, and then down to Fleet dyke. Once round the corner from Thurne mouth, the wind was a lot lighter and the cruise was nice and sunny. Everywhere was so quiet, including Horning staithe so I moored up in a space there. 
Finlay was presumably grateful to get a decent walk up past the radar museum. He certainly looked to be enjoying himself when off lead on the field edge path leading up from the crossroads at Ropes Hill. 
I had a guest arriving this evening for a catch up - Jean (SwanR) popped round. We hadn’t met for a few months so that was a lot of activity to cover. Great seeing you Jean. 

The weather today can be summed up as a day of two halves. 

9630295C-E735-4EF3-8889-431BFF7A0BB7.thumb.jpeg.bbf159e47380618bd9a8a55728143e73.jpeg

• Like 6

It was so lovely to see you Kate. The time flew by. But what a lovely evening it turned into on the river. I snapped these pictures as I left. Have a great day wherever it takes you. 🤗

IMG_5219.jpeg

IMG_5220.jpeg

• Like 6

I woke to the sound of rain, it’s quite cosy listening to it as long as you know it’s not doing any damage to the boat, as in leaks (touch wood I don’t seem to have any at the moment, or at least any noticeable ones!) 

The rain continued on and off most of the morning. I spent some time updating my boat log, not wanting to be bothered to go out in the rain, but eventually the river was getting busier and demand for the staithe growing, so I set off downstream. 

First port of call was Cockshoot Dyke as I haven’t been there for a while and I wanted to see if the boardwalk was open again  No is the answer. I do hope the main boardwalk isn’t going to go the same way as the ‘circular’ route round the bit of fen there ie closed, never to reopen. 
We took a walk from the opposite end of the mooring instead, back to the moorings and carpark opposite the Ferry Inn. I’ve done this walk a few times and wondered whether it was still in a safe enough condition. Yes is the answer to that, ‘passable with care’ and waterproof footwear as a bit of the boardwalk is underwater.
4ABA2962-56EC-492F-90BB-59CE8F84FF7E.thumb.jpeg.b25adf76c78b87c0ea8746b1a7b662c9.jpeg

It was quite overgrown in places but the fishing platforms are all accessible.
7145DA6D-3B4D-43D4-AFC2-ED377949C208.thumb.jpeg.c08835cb4d97b59bfb8c2de4072e4bd5.jpeg

This is the clear water by one platform. I hadn’t realised till the other day that those underwater leaves that look a bit like lettuce are the submerged leaves of the yellow waterlily. The floating leaves are a completely different shape and form. I also found out that the white waterlilies don’t have underwater leaves and their floating leaves are more round in shape. Well, well. 

5E18FBB4-FD1A-4713-B51F-FEA3FDCFF025.thumb.jpeg.8860c7e7099a254947e15039f48fdedd.jpeg

There is a sign at the Ferry Inn end saying angling club members only, but firstly I think that means no fishermen apart from ones from that club, and secondly, there’s no sign at the cockshoot dyke end to say no entry. 
It’s the path that gives access to Woodbastwick and Salhouse if anyone should so wish to walk up the flooded lane to Woodbastwick (it seems to be flooded year round!). It also used to give access to Horning village via the Foot Ferry meaning you could take a walk round the village even if the staithe was full. But the ferry finished last year. 
Then it was on to Fleet dyke in the sunshine, one of the wild moorings. I was so pleased to see three of them already occupied, which just shows if they’re in a good state they’ll get used, relieving pressure on formal moorings. Not that there is much pressure at the moment, it’s relatively quiet. 

We had a nice walk to Ranworth where I had an icecream before the walk back again. Ranworth was full, including four yachts in the dinghy dyke. 
CAE4909F-0E51-432F-AE7F-6191A1012966.thumb.jpeg.e7600e885fcbdcb6bf150d4e79979f1c.jpeg

I’ve picked another four ticks off Finlay this evening. They really are very prolific this season.
And we’re set for another nice calm evening, if a bit chilly. I’ll just enjoy it being dry I think. I haven’t dared look at the forecast for tomorrow. 

• Like 9

21 hours ago, kpnut said:

. . . . . . . First port of call was Cockshoot Dyke as I haven’t been there for a while and I wanted to see if the boardwalk was open again  No is the answer. I do hope the main boardwalk isn’t going to go the same way as the ‘circular’ route round the bit of fen there ie closed, never to reopen. 

According to the Blessed Authority’s FB page, the boardwalk at Cockshoot Dyke has now reopened:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0FLTk7XujcCCwgm6ZEr7uF1uUWxyKsHDRfsKMp94uQKJtterQ1gkBPUXmU9uqPqAJl&id=100070552110990

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kpnut said:

I woke to the sound of rain, it’s quite cosy listening to it as long as you know it’s not doing any damage to the boat, as in leaks (touch wood I don’t seem to have any at the moment, or at least any noticeable ones!) 

The rain continued on and off most of the morning. I spent some time updating my boat log, not wanting to be bothered to go out in the rain, but eventually the river was getting busier and demand for the staithe growing, so I set off downstream. 

First port of call was Cockshoot Dyke as I haven’t been there for a while and I wanted to see if the boardwalk was open again  No is the answer. I do hope the main boardwalk isn’t going to go the same way as the ‘circular’ route round the bit of fen there ie closed, never to reopen. 
We took a walk from the opposite end of the mooring instead, back to the moorings and carpark opposite the Ferry Inn. I’ve done this walk a few times and wondered whether it was still in a safe enough condition. Yes is the answer to that, ‘passable with care’ and waterproof footwear as a bit of the boardwalk is underwater.
4ABA2962-56EC-492F-90BB-59CE8F84FF7E.thumb.jpeg.b25adf76c78b87c0ea8746b1a7b662c9.jpeg

It was quite overgrown in places but the fishing platforms are all accessible.
7145DA6D-3B4D-43D4-AFC2-ED377949C208.thumb.jpeg.c08835cb4d97b59bfb8c2de4072e4bd5.jpeg

This is the clear water by one platform. I hadn’t realised till the other day that those underwater leaves that look a bit like lettuce are the submerged leaves of the yellow waterlily. The floating leaves are a completely different shape and form. I also found out that the white waterlilies don’t have underwater leaves and their floating leaves are more round in shape. Well, well. 

5E18FBB4-FD1A-4713-B51F-FEA3FDCFF025.thumb.jpeg.8860c7e7099a254947e15039f48fdedd.jpeg

There is a sign at the Ferry Inn end saying angling club members only, but firstly I think that means no fishermen apart from ones from that club, and secondly, there’s no sign at the cockshoot dyke end to say no entry. 
It’s the path that gives access to Woodbastwick and Salhouse if anyone should so wish to walk up the flooded lane to Woodbastwick (it seems to be flooded year round!). It also used to give access to Horning village via the Foot Ferry meaning you could take a walk round the village even if the staithe was full. But the ferry finished last year. 
Then it was on to Fleet dyke in the sunshine, one of the wild moorings. I was so pleased to see three of them already occupied, which just shows if they’re in a good state they’ll get used, relieving pressure on formal moorings. Not that there is much pressure at the moment, it’s relatively quiet. 

We had a nice walk to Ranworth where I had an icecream before the walk back again. Ranworth was full, including four yachts in the dinghy dyke. 
CAE4909F-0E51-432F-AE7F-6191A1012966.thumb.jpeg.e7600e885fcbdcb6bf150d4e79979f1c.jpeg

I’ve picked another four ticks off Finlay this evening. They really are very prolific this season.
And we’re set for another nice calm evening, if a bit chilly. I’ll just enjoy it being dry I think. I haven’t dared look at the forecast for tomorrow. 

I've taken two ticks off Vera today and she didn't stray far off the woodland path at all. First time in the woods for ages. Must be a good year for them. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

According to the Blessed Authority’s FB page, the boardwalk at Cockshoot Dyke has now reopened:

I read that Mouldy and went to check for myself, presuming it would be. Shame it wasn’t. There was a big wooden barrier attached to two strong stakes across the entrance with a closed sign. 

4 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I read that Mouldy and went to check for myself, presuming it would be. Shame it wasn’t. There was a big wooden barrier attached to two strong stakes across the entrance with a closed sign. 

Good job they know what they’re doing!  As Griff would say ‘typical, just typical!’

• Haha 1

A very quiet day today, doing nothing much in the showers. Finlay got a walk along as far as Fleet dyke entrance where I chatted to another orange Horizon 35 owner moored on the first wild mooring. 

I’m on my way back to Stalham over the next day or so. I stopped in for a chat with George at LBBY before moving on to Griff’s corner. 
Now that it seems to have stopped raining again I’ll take Finlay out. But he seems as happy as me to have had a slow day. 
42EBCF8A-806B-423C-B00F-086FA51797A8.thumb.jpeg.a9bd0d0db45d81ae864c6bfbbd6d2b41.jpeg

7C0348E7-D189-4893-80F1-294190432049.thumb.jpeg.afb17b5a268706972fc92c28e2c0e916.jpeg

Griff and Grendel, my, you were busy. You didn’t say you’d done the whole footpath as well! Did you bring a ride on mower with you?

4391B7C5-A823-4C0D-BA05-1F421B832D49.thumb.jpeg.c6e9504b7560a07d52fcf923f3f1485e.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, garryn said:

Looks like the grass has been cut and down the track. That's good as it was getting a bit long.

I’ll take a good walk along both ways tomorrow Garry and see how far down it’s cut.

I didn’t take Finlay after all this evening, just let him mess about on the bank instead with a ball and then did a bit of dummy training work.

• Like 1