Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

When we went through the pilot was advising folk to arrive earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon so assuming there was a slight variation around high tide. Tower Bridge is 'plated' at 6 foot ten and we had a bit to spare. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lakesailor said:

Just past Kate leaving horning church moorings, springers retreat looking good.

What boat was that? Hope I waved. Sorry if not. 

• Like 1

I had a walk into Horning this morning for no real reason other than to be nosey. Not a lot going on, a space on the staithe and I noticed the Staithe and Willow building seems to be for sale. Or it could be there’s another semidetached building behind the cafe. The ‘for sale’ sign is on the road side of the building. 

I moved off downstream with no particular place in mind. A few spaces were free at St Benet’s. The wild mooring by the 2 dead trees on the Bure looked enticing, but I carried on, spotting Karizma going the other direction. A space at Boundary Farm as I went past, but I carried on. I got chased by a yacht near Oby Mill as he was whizzing downstream over the other side, having been caught up in the bushes just previously. I really wanted to be well clear of him in case he suddenly shot over my side at speed, it took a while to manage clear water between us. I carried on past Upton dyke entrance, another favourite of mine. And past Acle bridge that had a space on the electric. I was just enjoying going I think. 
I decided that Stokesby would be good, if space, as I haven’t been for a walk down there lately. But no space so I turned and moored on the wild mooring upstream. Did a bit of gardening and Finlay had a big treat of playing ball for a change as well as hunting for some tiny biscuits I threw to the wind. It’s nice just watching the boats go by in the sunshine, but I’ll have a wander along the rather overgrown riverbank later, or if the evening is nice and calm, maybe I’ll move off again on my way back upstream. It’s just one of those days!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

.......... spotting Karizma going the other direction.

Sorry, we must have missed you. I bet Tracy was 'piloting' Karizma and I was busy in the galley :default_biggrin:.

We've ended up at Sutton Staithe, after having a night at Womack Staithe (wow didn't it rain hard all night!) and a meal in the Kings Arms. Now waiting for our son, his girlfriend, and their dog joining us tomorrow, for a couple of days, and then we'll start thinking about 'heading south' again.

Have fun ........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kpnut said:

What boat was that? Hope I waved. Sorry if not. 

Fair empress we past you just as you reversed of mooring before you turned around. I was stood at stern and waved. You waved 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lakesailor said:

Fair empress we past you just as you reversed of mooring before you turned around. I was stood at stern and waved. You waved 😀

Yes, I remember thinking that was a nice friendly chap! I’ll keep an eye out for you. Have a great holiday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Karizma said:

Sorry, we must have missed you. I bet Tracy was 'piloting' Karizma and I was busy in the galley :default_biggrin:.

Well, someone waved right at the last moment. 
Have fun with son etc and hope Cody is up for sharing!

Did you have the carvery at the Kings Arms? Something I’ve never done yet although Tony says we’re trying it next time he’s down.
And I didn’t hear the rain at all. Grendel mentioned it was tipping down about 1am. I must have been out for the count last night. 

• Like 1

My walk along the riverbank wasn’t very long at all as wearing shorts and going through this - 

4CB320CB-A664-4598-A5FE-1474BAC8DDB1.thumb.jpeg.a02c6d1201b1ce5b04084490712e4a69.jpeg

proved quite painful.

I’ve alerted Norfolk County Council. There was a sort of path so obviously people are wanting to use this footpath. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

Did you have the carvery at the Kings Arms? 

unfortunately not. we had different meals, but they were all very nice.

they even have a doggie menu - which is a nice touch.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kpnut said:

My walk along the riverbank wasn’t very long at all as wearing shorts and going through this - 

4CB320CB-A664-4598-A5FE-1474BAC8DDB1.thumb.jpeg.a02c6d1201b1ce5b04084490712e4a69.jpeg

proved quite painful.

I’ve alerted Norfolk County Council. There was a sort of path so obviously people are wanting to use this footpath. 

I wouldn't hold your breath for a result from NCC. We are out with the dogs every morning and I have lost count of the amount of times we have reported overgrown footpaths. Never even get a reply.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norfolkangler said:

I wouldn't hold your breath for a result from NCC.

Last year my reply to a stretch a bit further down that was even worse was something along the lines of ‘it doesn’t yet meet our criteria’!
I wasn’t given a checklist of what those criteria were but it must be a rather odd list. 

But a couple of months later it had been done, so I expect this is on the cutting schedule for later on.
And I notice that other stretch had been done very early in the season this year. 
Fingers crossed, but no, I don’t realistically expect much action. 
I was told in person to keep reporting though, as it helps to identify and assess problem areas quickly. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Last year my reply to a stretch a bit further down that was even worse was something along the lines of ‘it doesn’t yet meet our criteria’!
I wasn’t given a checklist of what those criteria were but it must be a rather odd list. 

But a couple of months later it had been done, so I expect this is on the cutting schedule for later on.
And I notice that other stretch had been done very early in the season this year. 
Fingers crossed, but no, I don’t realistically expect much action. 
I was told in person to keep reporting though, as it helps to identify and assess problem areas quickly. 

I think your right, they do certain areas at certain times of year. Unfortunately we all know that they grow at the same rate/time.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

No  mow may doesn't help,  as that's when it's shooting up

And it just lets the tougher species, nettles, docks, thistles take over.
I wouldn’t mind no mow May if it was cut earlier than that, to keep the above species low and give the more delicate species a chance to get going with some sunlight onto the ground. They’d then have a chance to compete and set seed before being mown again. 

Even if there’s not a good walk to be had from it at the moment, I do love the wild mooring upstream from Stokesby. 
You get a flurry of boats going one way or the other on their journey to/from GY but other than that, it’s remarkably peaceful. It’s quite sheltered from the wind there too. 
B15FCE93-4373-41DF-8718-F8CF3BCA0622.thumb.jpeg.2f37685e8b35e965af4b558dfc16dde2.jpeg

This morning, I stopped in at Acle bridge on the offchance there was 20p on the empty electric post for some housework. The dog hair was getting beyond the joke. I do have a rechargeable handheld vacuum and an inverter for the Henry but rarely think about using them as I’m normally within electric cable reach of some shore power every few days. I was in luck so did that, emptied the bin and made a cup of tea while also giving the hot water a boost. Then I moved over to Bridgecraft and paid my dues to fill with water. So I’m all done and dusted for another few days. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

A cut 1 metre wide footpath won't make any difference to the ideas behind No Mow May which I would prefer to call Low Mow May.  All No Mow May is an excuse for councils and authorities to skip a May cut, which means that by June most areas are thick and rank, they then when cut it gets left in situ and all it does is to increase the nutrient value and the grass grows even more thicker and lush.

The answer is to cut and take away and slowly the nutrient value is reduced, the grass doesn't grow as fast and gradually less cutting is required but it doesn't happen that way in the majority of situations.

This wet spring has not helped either with the grass and vegetation becoming very lush and long!  Even the rabbits can't control it on some sites!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LizG said:

A cut 1 metre wide footpath won't make any difference to the ideas behind No Mow May which I would prefer to call Low Mow May.  All No Mow May is an excuse for councils and authorities to skip a May cut, which means that by June most areas are thick and rank, they then when cut it gets left in situ and all it does is to increase the nutrient value and the grass grows even more thicker and lush.

The answer is to cut and take away and slowly the nutrient value is reduced, the grass doesn't grow as fast and gradually less cutting is required but it doesn't happen that way in the majority of situations.

This wet spring has not helped either with the grass and vegetation becoming very lush and long!  Even the rabbits can't control it on some sites!

Here here, LizG, couldn’t have put it better myself. 
I’m wandering around Thurne at the moment and found their fairly new little community wood, with the trees still only small. There are shorter paths cut through, and some medium cut areas and some taller areas. That’s more like it. There’s clover, daisies, purple vetches, forget-me-knots, plantains, tomentil, cranesbill, young yarrow, sheeps sorrel, and some of the finer grasses, all being able to see daylight, along with a very diversely planted hedge with rose, hawthorn, maple, hazel, honeysuckle and plenty of bees. Very nice  

I was also thinking of what I said about nettles, docks and thistles. I was a bit unfair to them as they are important species for nectar etc for invertebrates, but as you say, we can do without them on a 1m strip for us to walk on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

Here here, LizG, couldn’t have put it better myself. 
I’m wandering around Thurne at the moment and found their fairly new little community wood, with the trees still only small. There are shorter paths cut through, and some medium cut areas and some taller areas. That’s more like it. There’s clover, daisies, purple vetches, forget-me-knots, plantains, tomentil, cranesbill, young yarrow, sheeps sorrel, and some of the finer grasses, all being able to see daylight, along with a very diversely planted hedge with rose, hawthorn, maple, hazel, honeysuckle and plenty of bees. Very nice  

I was also thinking of what I said about nettles, docks and thistles. I was a bit unfair to them as they are important species for nectar etc for invertebrates, but as you say, we can do without them on a 1m strip for us to walk on. 

Where about in thurne is that Kate it sounds like a nice place to visit. 

I’m introducing a wild meadow strip in a clients garden so it may be good to show them the variety you can get when it’s done properly. 

Thanks Roy 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roy said:

Where about in thurne is that Kate it sounds like a nice place to visit. 

I’m introducing a wild meadow strip in a clients garden so it may be good to show them the variety you can get when it’s done properly. 

Thanks Roy 

In addition to Katie's list add Birds-foot Trefoil, go for local providence of anything if possible. What soil type?

If you park near the pub/public WC and go up the driveway of the farm to the right of the pub (facing the pub), follow the farm drive round the buildings and onto the wide path, bounded by hedges either side. That’s a very nice path as it is, very diverse. 
The community ‘wood’ is at the end of that path on the left. It’s signposted on the gate. 

53 minutes ago, LizG said:

In addition to Katie's list add Birds-foot Trefoil, go for local providence of anything if possible

There was plenty more Liz but I’m not very good at identification. Plenty of thistles too I might add, but everything has its place. 

• Thanks 1

I initially regretted not wearing a thicker jumper as I set off round Bureside moorings and onto the riverbank path to Thurne. But once on the path it was sheltered from the breeze and warmed up nicely. I passed through the site of this weekend’s regatta, lots of folk working hard to make it ready, and on along to Thurne dyke, which at 3.30pm or so wasn’t overbusy. 

I wandered round the network of footpaths round Thurne, pondering whether to walk along to Potter Heigham and deciding not to, partly because I’ve been caught out before with the riverbank path back from PH being overgrown.
I found myself at the community wood (already posted about that) and then back down to the dyke.
Should I have a drink in the pub or an icecream at the shop? Too cold to sit outside eating an icecream, so half a Tom Cat it was in the Lion. I don’t remember it being quite so light and bitter previously, but it was refreshing. 

And then back to Bureside mooring dyke along the permissive track. The line of walnut trees along there are swelling their fruits nicely.
A82031DB-AE60-4B9B-ABFB-ECEC1DDBE4B4.thumb.jpeg.9ae13639b14b0671bd1ff295c5691159.jpeg

Perhaps this year I’ll get a share of the harvest come Sept/Oct. 

It’s turned out to be a beautiful evening. The wind’s dropped right down and the sun’s come out. 

5BC90629-007C-404F-AA9F-E38CF5EC957C.thumb.jpeg.263ac37bcc54ac152ab1734f6fc57e9a.jpeg

• Like 9

After a really peaceful night, the sun was up bright and early, certainly before me. I did get going fairly early (for me) though as I wanted to catch Womack staithe as it emptied about 10am. 
I left Finlay to snooze while I walked up to the butcher. What a beautiful display. Finlay got a treat of a big marrowbone that’ll last him a day or two. 
The church was open for coffee and cake, as I was told it is every Friday morning 10 - 12. Well worth going in, it was busy and the cake was a very reasonable £1.50 for a generous slice. They even provided a makeshift ‘takeaway’ box for me. 

We then went down to the dyke moorings for a while, where I tidied up that wild mooring near Womack Dyke entrance. It was very flooded all winter and like a lot of the wild moorings, has suffered from lack of use this spring as it slowly dried out. The wild moorings really do need a higher usage to stay in good condition. I expect when the fishing season starts, they’ll be more popular but I haven’t seen many boats using them at all lately. 

We then moved down to Fleet dyke and did much the same in 4 spots. Well I did the work while Finlay gnawed at his bone. And now I’m exhausted! Only so much you can do with a pair of shears. 
7AC99717-82E6-4A49-837E-06148BD90720.thumb.jpeg.8881a948c38af48a7d082a0ee627bf45.jpeg

Thurne mouth had a string of boats moored up along the reeds, ready for the weekend’s racing. Yesterday I’d noticed the TMOR organisers had cut paths in the reeds to the riverbank, which just shows it’s solid ground. If only we all had the guts to moor up on the riverbanks we’d be able to make more little wild mooring pockets. I, for one, don’t like to do so unless I can see solid ground underfoot, which is nye on impossible when the banks are overgrown.

D4EBE0DD-2D9F-47FB-AE8F-8EB5DC4314BC.thumb.jpeg.02bf247c7ba989705a625fee52d0f3e3.jpeg

The old EA flood defence moorings on the Bure were also being well used. 

CD6123EE-6048-43D8-B8BA-FD00E0377FE1.thumb.jpeg.429b9c203e857d03eb6f5b8e9c78a049.jpeg

Now for a well-earned shower. 

• Like 8