Our 1st Cruise

andyg

We bit the bullet this morning and booked our 1st ever crusie for later this year. My experiences of ocean sailings haven't been great to be honest, mainly onboard military transport ships. I really didn't fancy one of those floating American cities. The thought of being stuck on one of them with 3000 loud yanks. Dear god no. My sister is married to one and that's enough for me lol..we've chosen a little week island hoping in the carrabeian then our son and his girlfriend are joining us in Jamaica for our 2nd week. Just hope I've done the right thing, I really don't have sea legs..

Β 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• unclemike changed the title to Our 1st Cruise

To be fair Andy, they ain't a troop ship !

They have all mod cons, like stabilisers, flushing toilets, hard working staff to serve you, decent food etc

But you can't get away from a lot of people.

I've done a couple of cruises - my honeymoon (a Caribbean cruise) and a family cruise from Southampton round the Med.

We have friends that have done loads, and my son has just gone on one round Norway and the fjordsΒ 

8 hours ago, Bikertov said:

To be fair Andy, they ain't a troop ship !

They have all mod cons, like stabilisers, flushing toilets, hard working staff to serve you, decent food etc

But you can't get away from a lot of people.

I've done a couple of cruises - my honeymoon (a Caribbean cruise) and a family cruise from Southampton round the Med.

We have friends that have done loads, and my son has just gone on one round Norway and the fjordsΒ 

I've no idea what to expect but I'm sure it will be fine. Them big carnival ships just look way to big for me.Β 

17 minutes ago, andyg said:

I've no idea what to expect but I'm sure it will be fine.

I'd recommend checking out your ship and what it has to offer in advance.Β  Many cruise lines have 'extra' onboard experiences to entice you. The best and most popular of these may either book out in advance, or you may have to book as soon as you board. You don't want to hear about something you want to do too late to book it. Also for shore excursions, cruise ships usually do them at a premium, but you can often just book cheaper locally (or in advance) when in port. Most ships/cruises will have a facebook group (Yes I know I'm not really into it, but needs must). You have to wade through a lot of complaints and moans, but there will be many useful tips for your ship and your cruise.

Like all the hospitality industry, cruises are struggling to get back to normal post Covid. On our cruise earlier this year the ship was only at 75% capacity (great - lots more space) with blocks of cabins out of service for crew isolation, and there were times when services were stretched. I've heard since, they have had to close some speciality restaurants and supply chain issues are affecting the offering in some restaurants and bars.Β  That said, they made it work and we have a great time. Most of all - enjoy.

• Like 1

Cheers all, we are doing our research there's a few trips we want to make, stingray island in the Cayman islands is top of our list. We have a two day stop over in Havana a city we know well,we spent our honeymoon there and have returned a few times over the years. A lot to look forward to.Β 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SwanR said:

I’ve thought about a cruise a few times but never been on one. Will be interested to hear how you get on Andy.Β 

Biker I would also be interested to know what your son thought of Norway.Β 

I will tell you when he gets back - they only got on the boat yesterday !

• Thanks 1