Photo Formats

Wondering whether anyone can enlighten me, or find out anything from whoever hosts our community. The new iPhone photo format of .HEIC does not appear to work with posts here. I keep finding that I have to upload to my computer, then save another copy in a different format to use it here. No problem on other sites such as Facebook.

Any tips from any other iPhone users? Or any expectation that the forum software will catch this up?

It's a pain and will stop me being able to post photos when I'm out and about or on holiday.

Hi Jean.  I have an iPhone 13 and find that images I take will upload directly to the Forum, whereas ones on my camera have to be downloaded to my Mac and converted to .jpeg.  My phone records .HEIF files.

I haven’t tried, but if you go to SETTINGS/CAMERA/FORMATS then select ‘Most Compatible’ and try that to see how you get on.

Edit:  I’ve just seen that Bryan has suggested that whilst I was typing!:default_icon_e_surprised:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

there are no restrictions i can see on image types, but maybe the forum software is not recognizing the iphone pictures as images.

Taken with my iPhone this morning and a screenshot showing files details.  I have no problem uploading images from my phone direct to the Forum.

F399AC74-0F51-44DF-8297-8BDCDD0C62F4.jpeg

596AE4EE-E194-41AD-BFDB-AEDE70C98BF8.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Taken with my iPhone this morning and a screenshot showing files details.  I have no problem uploading images from my phone direct to the Forum.

F399AC74-0F51-44DF-8297-8BDCDD0C62F4.jpeg

596AE4EE-E194-41AD-BFDB-AEDE70C98BF8.png

If you inspect the image you'll see that the forum has converted the HEIF to JPEG.

HEIF files are more efficient, but are much less supported than the (now pretty old) JPEG format.

I suspect the issue is likely to be with the browser and the version thereof.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

If you inspect the image you'll see that the forum has converted the HEIF to JPEG.

HEIF files are more efficient, but are much less supported than the (now pretty old) JPEG format.

I suspect the issue is likely to be with the browser and the version thereof.

Using Safari on an iPad to upload, if that helps to resolve.

Yeah, so latest production release basically.

I think those who are having issues will either be on older versions of iOS, or other non-chromium browsers.

Microsoft Edge is a decent browser and these days it's basically Chrome without the spyware.