Marine Ply

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
That many sheets... I know rain is forecast... Do you know something I dont?

I'm thinking ark........

I`m thinking new flooring for indoors, or for a new roof perhaps. There again, in that thickness, our Geoffers could be looking to build himself a fleet of small boats.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Also, the sizes you mention (1.5m x 1m or roughly 4ft 11&1/16th ins x 3ft 3&3/8ths ins) would be an odd size, so the suppliers would more than likely want to sell you full sheets of 8ft x 4ft which is a standard size. The other size commonly sold in places such as B&Q and other DIY stores is 6ft x 2ft., which is too narrow for your reqs, but i doubt if they sell MARINE ply, but will sell exterior grade, or WBP ply, which is suitable for outdoor use, but NOT for marine use. PROPER marine ply can be hard to get, and is very expensive, and often cheaper grades of WBP ply are often sold as MARINE ply, so be careful that they actually do sell MARINE ply and not the WBP stuff.

cheers guys,

Mylittle boat, it's got nothing to do with rain that is coming, so organise your BBQ whenever you want. cheersbar

Billyboy, nothing to do with new flooring for my water logged house, (ps, bathroom being done as I type), and nothing to do with boats...

in fact, a nice little prize if you can think what it is for..... :teddy:

Again thanks guys and gals, will contact the suppliers and see what I can get.

Antares... It looks like it comes in the same saize as normal ply 8' x 4' it's only 5 x the price....

cheers and wish me luck.

cheersbar

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
cheers guys,

in fact, a nice little prize if you can think what it is for..... :teddy:

cheersbar

Could it be building some form of garden outbuilding(s) though i would have thought at that thickness, it would be a bit too thin?.

or how about building a "kit car", as some of these can be built from a set of plans using ply sheathed in either alluminium, or stainless steel.

I`l have a think about this Geoffers, as i have to admit to being a little intrigued as to why you need so much?.

Anybody else got any ideas ............. sensible ones too please :naughty::naughty:

areet me ducks. Now then young Donald, as you're enquiring about Marine ply i,m assuming you need the boards to be weatherproof? Board that thin is not "ply" as such, its basically two layers of very thin laminate and sandwiched between is a composite material. I use different sheet materials every day and to be honest cant remember seeing anything thinner than 6mm in the timber merchants. I fabricate architectural mouldings to replicate sandstone on grade 2 listed buildings etc. etc. plus have done work on boats using ply,s,& blockboard and the best way to achieve water proofing them all is to coat with watered down Cascamite used by boat builders and anyone with any sense. could work out bucket fulls cheaper. Dont forget to treat all sawn edges. Got to go now and brush up on my hire boats and obscure dykes for wednesday ;)

That many sheets that thin, sounds like you're going to laminate something.

Half a metre wide, maybe diagonal sheathing, though if you're possibly dropping back to exterior, it can't be a boat hull...

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
That many sheets that thin, sounds like you're going to laminate something.

Half a metre wide, maybe diagonal sheathing, though if you're possibly dropping back to exterior, it can't be a boat hull...

Look at Geoffers second post, he quotes "it`s nothing to do with boats". So, nothing to do with his house, nothing to do with boats, though i did think he was going to build a classic sailing dinghy, or build a number of canoes, but that`s obviously out, so what can it be? answers on a postcard please.

How long are you going to keep us in suspenders Geoffers?.

you may struggle to get 4mm, edens don't normaly sell marine that thin, but on that quantity ? also if its not below waterline, or definatly for a boat, i would go for far eastern ply, all ply available in 2400 x 1200, 3050 x 1200, and 3050 x 1500 if memory serves correct, get in contact with me when you know what you want, i may be able to help,

hmmm some sort of outdoor play area for sp needs at a guess Geoff or to line a wooden building to give it a bit more life funny size tho 1000x1500 mmmm an dont answer yer email u tart lol :wave

and as for the plastic sugestion u can get it in 3mx2m sheets tthat would cut better to size