Hire Fleet Changes 2023

Broads01

Roy's photo of the saloon proves contrary to what I first thought it doesn't have the original upholstery. The trouble is the styling suggests the same era. 

Good spot Dan, the headboard on the stern double looks original.

Having said all that, I've no doubt it's a well maintained boat so it'll be a good buy for someone at the right price, whatever that is.

• Like 1

Talking of laminated and veneers I had great results using some very thick wood effect Vinyl  on Independence when I owned her. It had a true 'wood grain' you could feel, and was an exact match to the real Teak which had suffered with some bleaching from the sun on a sliding door. Below is an example of some Ash Red:

vvivid-architectural-contact-wood-ash-red_03.thumb.jpg.de0fa70a8c73f613c79790dff37cbbc2.jpg

However, I also thought after having Karndean flooring fitted at home, what versatile material it is. You cannot see the the joins between the individual 'planks' and so I thought it one was to have an older boat with some decent Formica as some hire boats have, why not fit Karndean panels over it to re-fresh bulkheads and so on. The options for colours textures and styles is almost limitless.

I did like the the Diamond 35 at NYA, despite the paintwork outside, inside is a pretty easy refresh and some new upholstery, worktops, cupboard fronts and lighting would transform the boat as the base is very decent. The only thing that troubles me with anything ex-hire is high engine hours and many previous wallops over many years which always leave their signs which makes me feel if you are going to go that route either get one cheap warts and all, accept it and enjoy it with minimum expense - or get one two or three private owners down the line since hire. If they have had things like a professional re-paint, thrusters fitted, maybe a re-engine and so on because while they were owning it they wanted to make it the best they could, it will never really give back what has been put in financially, just will be a very lovely 'ex hire boat' still but somebody else spent big before you.