Hire Fleet Changes 2023

Broads01

The traditional aft cockpit is on the endangered list, Woods, Barnes and NBD have got rid of all of there's, Rickos have just 3, Ferry have 3, Martham have 1, Eastwood Whelpton 1, NYA have 1 and Brooms 2 , that's all I can think of. Pacific Breeze is also the last Aft cockpit Elysian 27 on hire on the Broads all be it a Bounty 27 mk 3 version, one of I think the last 3 built for hire in 1996 (the final 2 were 97 and 2000) and originally all with Castle Craft St Olaves. Hopefully Richard and Fiona have found a suitable replacement for these two assuming they do let them  go

Neil 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Broads01 said:

It looks like both Pacific Breeze and Pacific Imperial are on their last season of hire. Both have no online availability for 2024. The traditional aft cockpit cruiser is becoming an endangered species.

It's a shame Breeze is going, the Bounty 27 is quite a good boat for two. Large shower room for the size of boat and quite a good bed too.

Pacific Imperial should have probably been retired a while ago, though. I love an AF42 but the fitout on that one is horrible.  I viewed her a couple of times as a potential hire, but really did not like her.

I could have lived with the green gel coat if the interior was better, but it has not aged well at all. Really needs a Ricko's-style refit. The worst part is that some of the laminates are actually quite good quality (ie not formica) but they've suffered moisture damage to the surface and would need to be replaced. There's a reason fake wood facings are used on hire boats....

• Like 2

I believe the intention is to replace only  one of the boats if a suitable one becomes available. Originally I think the idea was to have 4 Friday and 4 Saturday start boats instead of 5, to make life easier on a Saturday. Although I see Diamond is going to move from Friday to Saturday start next year so they may have had rethink. I hired Imperial back in 2012 and found it be okay, Hamptons of Oulton Broad built here in 1990 and as far as I know used some real wood, she did need a complete strip down and revarnish. The upholstery and flooring were tired however they have been replaced since I hired here. I didn't hire Breeze only here predecessor Swift, a good little boat all be it a little lacking in headroom the front although it benefitted from a low airdraft which allowed us to have great music night at the Locks Inn in 2006

Neil 

• Like 2

This is it - They did use some real wood laminates in her construction and she needs a really good refurb. That doesn't seem to be something that Pacific are kitted out for. 

As an aside, when Summercraft sold their Diamond 35's a couple of years back, one had real wood veneer and had fared worse than the one with formica. They sold her for quite a bit less and actually ended up having to buy her back as I think the new owner didn't realise what they'd taken on.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

As an aside, when Summercraft sold their Diamond 35's a couple of years back, one had real wood veneer and had fared worse than the one with formica. They sold her for quite a bit less and actually ended up having to buy her back as I think the new owner didn't realise what they'd taken on.

Is that the Gardenia Girl still on hire?

Just been perusing Brinks Prelude. It looks all very nice (2 full size fridges, separate showers, hybrid power etc) but I think as an 8 berth it could do with more than 2 toilets. One of them is ensuite with the other shared by the remaining 6 crew. Yours for £3794 for 7 nights this August.

20 hours ago, oldgregg said:

It's a shame Breeze is going, the Bounty 27 is quite a good boat for two. Large shower room for the size of boat and quite a good bed too.

Looking at Breeze's availability for the rest of this season I suspect the market has decided her fate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Looking at Breeze's availability for the rest of this season I suspect the market has decided her fate. 

You may be right. It's not surprising really, given there are fewer bookings generally. Also Pacific have 3 other two berths (Sky, Oasis and Sunshine) which are more recent boats with not much price difference.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That’s a nice looking boat and reasonably priced. Can anyone tell whether it’s the same kind of boat as Bella Donna? Only the head height was very low inside that one and precludes us ever taking her again. 

36 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Had a quick look. Is it me but the dimensions are given as 6.09ft wide but the pics make it look wider??

I think that could be the height as it states that the only bridge it will not pass under is Potter Heigham?

Chris

Edited by CeePee1952
extra words added
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, SwanR said:

That’s a nice looking boat and reasonably priced. Can anyone tell whether it’s the same kind of boat as Bella Donna? Only the head height was very low inside that one and precludes us ever taking her again. 

Looking at the Photos, it looks like what was Fair Lilly, an Alpha 36 built by Haines in 2008.

https://www.norfolkboatsales.co.uk/boats-for-sale/haines-bure-36/ 

Bella Donna (previously Mamma Mia) was built from the NBS moulds by Viking and is a Viking 31. 

In my opinion the build quality of these two companies is a long way apart.

There is plenty of headroom in Bella Maria, I can say this as my Alpha 36 came out the same moulds in the same year, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It looks a pretty decent boat and reasonably prices, albeit the Hoseasons photos don't show either an external view or the shower room. Hoseasons have been typically sloppy with their wording - "New for 2023" implies it's a brand new boat whereas it should say "New to the fleet for 2023".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Broads01 said:

It looks a pretty decent boat and reasonably prices, albeit the Hoseasons photos don't show either an external view or the shower room. Hoseasons have been typically sloppy with their wording - "New for 2023" implies it's a brand new boat whereas it should say "New to the fleet for 2023".

Fair Lilly is a beautiful boat, she has been moored 2 boats away from us for several years. No doubt the absence of external pictures is because the name hasn't been changed yet and she is sign written on the stern and bow (port & starboard).

The shower to which you refer is in the heads with it's own glass door. This boat really has everything even sat TV tracker dome. Although I wonder if they will take the off as it's on the roof right at the rear and hinges down adjacent to the rear doors, could be a disaster if forgotten when approaching bridges

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaulN said:

In my opinion the build quality of these two companies is a long way apart.

It's night and day I'd say.

The Haines Bure 36 is pretty much the ultimate 'Alpha' bathtub whereas what Viking were producing was very 'old school hirefleet' in terms of quality. Not a terrible fitout but just nowhere near what comes out of Catfield.

It must be good because I've somehow convinced Mrs OG to book Kris' Bure 36 on the Thames next year... That separate shower cubicle very much helped the decision.

• Like 1

The Haines Bure 36 is the ultimate 2 berth broads boat. We looked at Borelo, another Haines Bure 36. It was described as a luxury apartment on water and that's exactly what it was. Fair Lily was only for sale for a couple of days. I'm hoping to book it in September. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Troyboy said:

The Haines Bure 36 is the ultimate 2 berth broads boat. We looked at Borelo, another Haines Bure 36. It was described as a luxury apartment on water and that's exactly what it was. Fair Lily was only for sale for a couple of days. I'm hoping to book it in September. 

I think there were only 5 Haines Alpha 36's built, the Kris Cruisers one on the Thames, Fair Lilly, Mirabelle, Nancy Bee and Barolo which is my sisters boat moored on the same main pontoon as us 6 berths away.

• Like 2