Hire Fleet Changes 2023

Broads01

We've just come home on Friday from a week on Goosander. Today I've booked a week on Bella Maria starting on Friday coming. We've got to make the most of everything while we can. I've always liked the look of the Haines Bure 36. Really looking forward to another week on the broads. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Troyboy said:

Today I've booked a week on Bella Maria starting on Friday coming.

I would be really interested to hear how you get on. This boat is really reasonably priced looking at Hoseasons yesterday. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SwanR,

We've had our week on Bella Maria 1. The boat was nothing less than fantastic. It is by far the best boat I've ever stayed on. Complete comfort in every aspect. Huge bed which suited my bad back. Masses of cupboards and 3 wardrobe type lockers in the bedroom. The bathroom was a proper bathroom very large for a boat with a full size separate shower cubicle with glass door.  No compromise had to be made whilst using the facilities. Electric toilet design was brilliant. It appeared to use quite a bit of water but to nothing excessive looking at the water usage. We had a pumpout after on the 5th morning as advised by the boatyard but there was no sign of needing one if you know what I mean. Galley and saloon were as per most bathtub boats. The saloon seats were bigger in the seat than other boats we've been on. A great boat overall which I will be using again I hope. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I notice Richardsons are advertising (only on Hoseasons currently for some reason) the fact that their boat prices for 2023 and 2024 are pegged at 2022 prices. Would be a good move if it wasn't that they (along with other boatyards) inflated their hire charges so much in 2022. 

screenshot-partners.hoseasons.co.uk-2023.08.02-12_40_56.jpg

• Thanks 1

Read on FB that Horning Pleasurecraft are adding a Diamond 35 to their hirefleet soon and one of their new build centre cockpit craft later this season.  The Diamond is a Broom build, that’s been in private hands until recently.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Read on FB that Horning Pleasurecraft are adding a Diamond 35 to their hirefleet soon and one of their new build centre cockpit craft later this season.  The Diamond is a Broom build, that’s been in private hands until recently.

Can you provide a link please Malcolm? I've looked on their Facebook page but can't see the "news". 

33 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Can you provide a link please Malcolm? I've looked on their Facebook page but can't see the "news". 

It was in an answer to a question on a FB group.  I’ll see if I can find it again and forward to you.

If you’re a member of the Love the Norfolk Broads group, look for a very recent post by Robin Shepherd.  Clive Richardson responded with relevant information.

6 hours ago, gancanny said:

i think maybe a well known member on this forum was the previous owner

Ahhh.... T512.

What a great example that is, very tidy and well kept, and nice for previous owners to know in such good hands, as they really do take good care of them at HPC (plus, I suppose if there is any pining you can hire it!?)

Dan

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dan said:

Ahhh.... T512.

What a great example that is, very tidy and well kept, and nice for previous owners to know in such good hands, as they really do take good care of them at HPC (plus, I suppose if there is any pining you can hire it!?)

Dan

When I was there last week it already had the HPC decals on it! Looks very nice from the outside.

• 1 month later...
On 02/08/2023 at 12:52, Mouldy said:

As one Diamond 35 joins a hirefleet is another Diamond 35 leaving a different hirefleet?

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/aquafibre-diamond-35-5/

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

As one Diamond 35 joins a hirefleet is another Diamond 35 leaving a different hirefleet?

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/aquafibre-diamond-35-5/

Looks that way, sadly.  I checked the Hoseasons website and there is only Gala Girl showing as available from Summercraft for next year.  Given that the other Diamond 35 has been out of a fleet for a long time and the Summercraft livery would be hard to disguise, I feel the price may be a tad optimistic, but it have been well looked after.

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Looks that way, sadly.  I checked the Hoseasons website and there is only Gala Girl showing as available from Summercraft for next year.  Given that the other Diamond 35 has been out of a fleet for a long time and the Summercraft livery would be hard to disguise, I feel the price may be a tad optimistic, but it have been well looked after.

The other issue with that one is the water damage to the laminates, which is the reason Summercraft had to buy it back from the last person that bought it.

Definitely optimistic given that she's also not in gel and would really need a professional repaint every 5-10 years to hide what's currently there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

The interior needs some work on the basis of those photos. It looks like it still has the original Brister Craft upholstery.

The saloon upholstery looks relatively new.  But the mattresses may be original.  The worst thing about the interior, to me, is the state of the doors on some cupboards and some internal doors, which appear to have been affected by damp and sun bleaching.  Not a cheap fix, even if you can match the veneers.

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

The interior needs some work on the basis of those photos. It looks like it still has the original Brister Craft upholstery.

Agree the upholstery is typical 1990s Brister craft so would be getting on 30 yers old.  The damp water marks on the woodwork would put me off, I have seen quite a few like that recently as looking for a possible change of boat again!

John 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

Agree the upholstery is typical 1990s Brister craft so would be getting on 30 yers old.  The damp water marks on the woodwork would put me off, I have seen quite a few like that recently as looking for a possible change of boat again!

John 

I can’t see any way that the upholstery would last that long, especially  in a hirecraft. It is, however, typical of the chintzy upholstery that featured in Summercraft’s fleet and does look in reasonable condition.  I think it’s been reupholstered.

We did hire that same boat in 2005, but having checked, I don’t appear to have any photos of the interior.

• Like 1

I am glad Roy has posted that picture, so I don't have to share that the original upholstery is as the rear cabin headboard :default_cool:

It's a shame these were fitted with a fair bit of varnished veneer rather than the more normal Brister laminate (as they built Gardenia Girl 1 that Summercraft had from new), because the varnished wood just hasn't lasted as that has.

I would think it fairly easy (maybe a weeks work?) for a boatyard/hirefleet to change all those for a similar colour laminate (and plain white on the back of the bathroom ones), but for a private owner this will be a harder/less appealing job

It is interesting that around 2004 or so Summercraft were considered (despite that awful colour scheme) some of the best around, but standing still sees you fall behind.  An updated fabric/flooring/units etc to a more contemporary vision was needed. 

Dan

• Like 2