Hire Fleet Changes 2023

Broads01

I thought it would be good to start a thread on hire fleet changes for this year, I.e. New builds, retirements, transfers and improvements. There's a few I'm aware of:

Silverline stopping hiring and their boats transferring to Richardsons.

Barnes Brinkcraft adding Brinks Prelude 2.

Bridgecraft have given Trent Bridge a bow thruster.

No doubt there are other changes as I don't tend to keep track of fleets I'm not interested in hiring from (of which there are a few!)

• Like 2

Hi,

30 years old however nonetheless an addition Soaring light 2 at Woods.

Brinks Encore 7 brand new at Barnes.

Fair Regal 2 new at NBD

In theory Richardsons have atleast one new boat for 23, likely to be Broadway 7 in addition to the 20 Silverline.

Evita at NYA is not new however is there flagship addition, looks like another Haines offering.

Also due for 23 is Fleetline, Clives new 46ft Centre cockpit flagship which is still in build.

Neil 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Re Broadway 7, have Richardsons started building again or has it been sat in a shed for a while?

It sat in a shed half built for a long time but it's been shipped to Silverline for completing, was a few months ago so probably finished by now.  The half built sedan is still there gathering dust...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Clive Richardson has completed "Innovation" for a private buyer but the hire version will be ready later this year.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0KJ5M1S2W4NUiCMvLDiu95EVmnV8YGF2JzQk49C29xVMUcCxNBRA1xDAQm2VASrpGl&id=533407227

Okay, it’s 46ft long, which to some is too long, but it’s only a foot longer than a C45 Connoisseur.  That said, it looks far more practical as a Broads cruiser than some of the designs from Ferry and NBD.  The jury’s out (well for me anyway) on the grey hull, although it does make it stand out, but nice to see a new design on the rivers.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

Is there a limit to lengths on some rivers?

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Yes, there is.  46ft is the limit on boats built since 31st March 1991 (I think).  There are more restrictions on beam.  Details in here:

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0021/180633/Vessel_Dimensions_Byelaws-1.pdf

16 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

It looks to me like it has a single piece curved windscreen. Is that right and how does it fold?

Looking at other features, Innovation apparently doesn’t have curtains or blinds, but the windows become obscure at the touch of a button.  There a video on a Norfolk Broads FB group showing it in operation.  All very clever.

1 hour ago, RS2021 said:

It looks to me like it has a single piece curved windscreen. Is that right and how does it fold?

Not certain, but it looks as though there are runners on the coachroof in front of the windscreen, so my guess is that the bottom slides forward and it lays flat on the coachroof.

6 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Yes, there is.  46ft is the limit on boats built since 31st March 1991 (I think).  There are more restrictions on beam.  Details in here:

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0021/180633/Vessel_Dimensions_Byelaws-1.pdf

I remember Alpha Craft hiring out their 50 foot forward steers, Brabazon and Mirage. Are they still around? They'd be fun on the Ant and the Chet.

5 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Looking at other features, Innovation apparently doesn’t have curtains or blinds, but the windows become obscure at the touch of a button.  There a video on a Norfolk Broads FB group showing it in operation.  All very clever.

I'm not sure I'd like that, Malcom. I like the look of closed curtains at night and there's something I like about opening them first thing in the morning.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I'm not sure I'd like that, Malcom. I like the look of closed curtains at night and there's something I like about opening them first thing in the morning.

I quite agree Simon. You can't beat opening the curtain first thing in the morning to get your first glimpse of the river.

Going for a walk in the evenings looking at all the boats with lights on and curtains closed. Done that many a time at Acle. The press of a button wouldn't have the same feel for me x

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Yeah, get that, but there are advantages.  I seem to recall that all of the saloon curtains on Connoisseur cruisers were put up on Velcro and simply taken down at night, which was a good idea.  The problem with anything with a sliding canopy and curtains on rails is where the curtains go when the canopy is open.  On Moonlight Shadow, for example, they should be unhooked from the back and pulled forward, but with the access door on the port side, next to the helm, as the canopy is wound back, the curtains bundle up between the canopy and superstructure.  If the boat is dirty or wet, that can transfer to the curtains.

As far as having flat batteries is concerned, Innovation is a hybrid, so has plenty of electric capacity.  I believe that the hire boat will be diesel and probably won’t have all of the advanced features that are present on this one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I remember Alpha Craft hiring out their 50 foot forward steers, Brabazon and Mirage. Are they still around? They'd be fun on the Ant and the Chet.

They were both Alpha 50s. Mirage was built in 1989 & Brabazon was built in 1990. Langford Jillings let me have a trial run on Mirage prior to it going on hire. I wasn’t encouraged to hire it. He told me at that time that he was having a battle with BA, over its length. It may have been as a result of these two boats that BA introduced the 46ft length restriction in 1991. Mirage seems to have left the broads but Brabazon was renamed Lady Pamela.

• Like 1