Another Newbie πŸ™ˆ

3 hours ago, grendel said:

we have all done it.

Well Grendel, that was exciting just reading that. Can’t say I’ve done exactly as you describe, thank goodness and hope I’m never in that position. But I’ve tried mooring up solo while still in forward gear. Not a good idea at all as the boat goes creeping off down the quay towards another boat with me on the bank wondering why I can’t pull her back.Β 
So Wonky, never fear, you’re not alone!

I have seem some catastrophic moorings in my time. Unbelievable.Β 

Most from hire folk who have not been instructed on evenΒ  basic understanding. I must not forget the private owner who has migrated from a modest hire boat to his ultimate dream.Β 

With little experience.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

On 10/04/2023 at 17:48, Wussername said:

Boating, or rather helming a boat, albeit sail or motor, is never ever, about getting it right.

May I mention a strange analogy, it is with regard to flying an aircraft and I have done that as well although I have to say I am not a pilot.

On an approach, heading whatever, visibility, height, wind, QFR, on a VFR approach (Visual Flight Rules) things go wrong. It would seem to me that one is always correcting a mistake at 800 ft.

Same with boats. Experience does not only tell you how to moor a boat. It also informs you that it is not going how it should. So, you adjust. Calmly. Some do not. Go around, no shame in that. Try again.Β 

Wind, tide, visibility, hazards, all enter the mix.Β 

Therefor it it is never ever about doing it right it is knowing that it is not as it should be,Β  and what to do about it.

That is experience and you cannot teach that.Β 

Fear not, it comes very quickly and in time you will become a boatman.

You may with justification ask the question. Who are you?

Just an old Norfolk man, nothing special about me I can assure you. All I did was move boats, stern on moorings mostly, all day on turn round day, Oh! and also trial runs.Β 

I have done more stern moorings than any of you in my life.Β 

They were all perfect. The ones that were not were carried out by my mate who looked like me.Β 

Β 

Interested to know what QFR is ?

I think I got the rest.

And I have just witnessed a superb piece of helmsmanship at Oulton Broad.

45ft of Brinks flat top in the current very gusty crosswinds. Came into the yacht station, held station, chose his spot between two other boats, spun 90' and just nailed it! Yes, he did have a bow thruster but straight in first attempt and the yacht station is pretty full tonight with people taking shelter with this wind coming.

I mention it here just incase they are members.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

And I have just witnessed a superb piece of helmsmanship at Oulton Broad.

45ft of Brinks flat top in the current very gusty crosswinds. Came into the yacht station, held station, chose his spot between two other boats, spun 90' and just nailed it! Yes, he did have a bow thruster but straight in first attempt and the yacht station is pretty full tonight with people taking shelter with this wind coming.

I mention it here just incase they are members.

Not me.

But I was with my grandfather all those years ago, in a sailing cruiser, under full sail, a similar maneuver. I think that he was with drink at the time. πŸ˜ƒ

51 minutes ago, Wussername said:

QFE

Atmospheric pressure at aerodrome elevation (or at runway threshold)”

As opposed to QNH or pressure at sea level ( FE Field elevation NH Nautical Height) In most of the civilised world you land at QFE or zero altitude. In the savage places ( who btw invented aviation) you land at QNH so basically your altimeter reads your height above sea level, so if you are 4000 ft above sea level you hit the dirt with your altimeter reading 4000ft in GA ( General Aviation) as opposed to commercial aviation where you have a radar altimeter. And the Ham Shanks at least form some cloak of being civilised πŸ˜„

Gosh I am a pedantic bar steward arnt I?🫣

CAA PPL night and IMC BCPL AFI and Multi.

FAA Multi and IRΒ 

10 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

As opposed to QNH or pressure at sea level ( FE Field elevation NH Nautical Height) In most of the civilised world you land at QFE or zero altitude. In the savage places ( who btw invented aviation) you land at QNH so basically your altimeter reads your height above sea level, so if you are 4000 ft above sea level you hit the dirt with your altimeter reading 4000ft in GA ( General Aviation) as opposed to commercial aviation where you have a radar altimeter. And the Ham Shanks at least form some cloak of being civilised πŸ˜„

Gosh I am a pedantic bar steward arnt I?🫣

CAA PPL night and IMC BCPL AFI and Multi.

Β 

Β 

FlyingFortress

Posted 2 hours ago Β·

Is this a Great Ouse forum or a Medway Forum 🀫

Β 

:default_eusa_dance:

2 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

Β 

FlyingFortress

Posted 2 hours ago Β·

Β 

Β 

3 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

Β 

FlyingFortress

Posted 2 hours ago Β·

Β 

The costs for owning or renting a Spam Can ( light aircraft) heavily outweigh the cost of owning or renting a boat on The Norfolk Broads . Which is partly the reason I do not fly anymore.

The other one is that my flying time was to get me into the right (and ultimately into the left seat) of a heavy jet.

Thankfully my career path took me down a different route which was better paid and more rewarding.

But it was you that started comparing apples with oranges. 😳

Unfortunately my pedantic nature will not let a little knowledge pass as fact. 😭

Oh just back on subject.

There are a few on here who have been witness to my chaotic mooring at Ranworth when I was more interested in showing off our new curtains than actually mooring the boat 🫣

It started as an intended stern mooring that descend into a side on mooring, but with some help resulted in a stern mooring πŸ˜„

Thankfully it was winter and plenty of space so not too many who can call out my mooring skills or otherwise.😭

Go on Griff and others 🫣

I have big shoulders 😳