Outboard Question.

Hi all,I have a 5hp Yamaha 2 stroke outboard on my day boat.

It  runs really well ,but

it vibrates,it’s quite unpleasant after a bit.

makes my vision blurry :default_blink:

are 4 stroke motors any better?

I recon I could go up to 10 hp,is a 10 hp motor likely to be a twin cyl?

I could go electric for what I use the boat for but I’d poss also use the outboard for an emergency aux unit.

any advise welcome!

Went from a 4hp two stroke single to an 8hp four stoke twin on the yacht. Could actually hold a conversation once I did

Smoother, quieter, no pre-mixing. Only downside is size / weight if you need to move it, and it hates E10 fuel - use E5 and a stabiliser

If considering going leccy have a demo first, I'm considering it for my dinghy and had a look at e-propulsion at the weekend and it seemed a lot trickier to put on and off than my little 2.5 suzuki, you can remove the battery to reduce weight but that leaves you with a long leg with 95% of the weight out over the water and the tiller only folded so far, hopefully going to look at torquedo option tomorrow. 

My little suzuki only weighs 13.5kg and with transom clamp in the tilted position the handle is within the dinghy with weight fairly nicely balanced, as my left arm and hand don't work too well and balance dodgy that makes a big difference, but it does get wearing after a while of running. 

1 hour ago, mikeyboy1966 said:

Can’t see a torquedo pushing  a 6tonne boat very far:default_blink:

But not talking Torquedo. My epropulsion Spirit is equiv to at least 3hp.

Moving a large boat at leisurley speed is relatively easy. Have you noticed the Wherrys are often propelled by an o/b on a dinghy at the stern.

Not sure what my Topliner weighs in at these days with all her additional equipment but she moves easily through water when nudged by the o/b. 

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

If considering going leccy have a demo first, I'm considering it for my dinghy and had a look at e-propulsion at the weekend and it seemed a lot trickier to put on and off than my little 2.5 suzuki, you can remove the battery to reduce weight but that leaves you with a long leg with 95% of the weight out over the water and the tiller only folded so far, hopefully going to look at torquedo option tomorrow. 

My little suzuki only weighs 13.5kg and with transom clamp in the tilted position the handle is within the dinghy with weight fairly nicely balanced, as my left arm and hand don't work too well and balance dodgy that makes a big difference, but it does get wearing after a while of running. 

Don't give up on the epropulsion. The battery, which is the heaviest component, doesn't have to live on the engine leg. By using an extension cable it can be sited up front of the dinghy. This makes the leg much lighter and can help trim the dinghy.

Your other observation about tricky removal, well the leg tilts up over the transom as with all traditional o/bs.

Nearest n Dearest in Wroxham keep the full range and in this instance are not dearer than most online retailers.

Agree with you both about Torquedos, not got the same build quality IMHO.

Anyway, just some first hand experience and review which I help could be of some use.

• Like 1

The trouble with the battery off is that the leg is then very much weighted to the end you can't hold, I was handling it on the stand in norfok marine and had battery off and a good play, I'd have to fully rotate the leg to lower on tilted or the tiller would foul the floor of the dinghy and most of the 10kg was 2 feet out over where the water would be.

It just wasn't easy enough for me to justify nearly 2 grand and a harder job.

10 hours ago, mikeyboy1966 said:

Hi all,I have a 5hp Yamaha 2 stroke outboard on my day boat.

It  runs really well ,but

it vibrates,it’s quite unpleasant after a bit.

makes my vision blurry :default_blink:

are 4 stroke motors any better?

I recon I could go up to 10 hp,is a 10 hp motor likely to be a twin cyl?

I could go electric for what I use the boat for but I’d poss also use the outboard for an emergency aux unit.

any advise welcome!

If your outboard is vibrating that much, it sounds like you may have some  damage / excessive ware to one of the blades on the prop.

Looks like we have to agree to disagree about the Epropulsion Smoggy.

Have not found any of your handling misgivings a problem. With the battery off the leg is lighter than a conventional o/b. Admittedly the remaining weight is all at the prop end. 

Method : Swing tiller handle out of the way and hold leg horizontally over the transom. This is virtually a one handed operation with the right hand. offer to transom. Secure clamps with left hand. ( if worried about dropping into the water you can always secure a recovery line - not found that needed myself). Tilt leg down to operating position and good to go.

You can either now secure battery pack to top of the leg, which is a two handed job as its heavy, or, as in my case, leave battery forward in the dinghy and plug up the extension cable.

On smaller dinghys the total weight can make them stern down. Keeping the battery separate redistributes this weight and also avoids the lifting the battery up onto leg.

Yes, 2 grand upfront, then ... nothing.   No fuel, no maintenance, no mess, no noise, no vibration, smoothness, better low power performance due electric engine torque ..   and free energy if using solar charging option.

Battery range is good. Wroxham to Coltishall and back or a cruise around Hickling is easily doable if moored up the wrong side of the bridges.

BTW i have no affiliation with the company but just appreciate a quality piece of kit that simplifies and improves my boating pleasure.

Have to admit to being intrigued by the remote battery idea, the 2 handed installation was also an off putting thing, but I believe the torqueedo has a loose pin for retaining that looks to be a poor design, I may have a peek again at both side by side as I'm going close to nestaway boats on a work job today.

22 hours ago, mikeyboy1966 said:

Can’t see a torquedo pushing  a 6tonne boat very far:default_blink:

They do a 50KW (roughly 67hp) outboard and inboards up to 100KW (134hp).

Not cheap, but if you want silent boating and have got solar then they're not as bad as people think.

26 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

They do a 50KW (roughly 67hp) outboard and inboards up to 100KW (134hp).

Not cheap, but if you want silent boating and have got solar then they're not as bad as people think.

Hmm ,DEEP BLUE 50R

cant even find a price online for one of those!

I guess if you need to ask,you can’t afford it:default_blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think you're looking at about £15-20K.

The 9.9hp equivalent is about three grand, though. Not going to get you on the plane and not going to power a 6 tonne boat, but for a Shetland or something like that it's a viable option given how quiet they are. And no more messing about with petrol and having to have the stuff aboard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RealWindmill said:

Looks like we have to agree to disagree about the Epropulsion Smoggy.

OK RealWindmill stick yer bloody smug boots on! :default_biggrin:

Had a good play with both along side and a good chat with the guy at nestaway boats and now have an e-propulsion on order. :default_blush:

Enjoy your smuggery! I recon even if I don't get on with it I can probably sell on for not much loss.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

OK RealWindmill stick yer bloody smug boots on! :default_biggrin:

Had a good play with both along side and a good chat with the guy at nestaway boats and now have an e-propulsion on order. :default_blush:

Enjoy your smuggery! I recon even if I don't get on with it I can probably sell on for not much loss.

Let us know how you get on with it.

watching with interest:default_norty:

1 hour ago, mikeyboy1966 said:

Let us know how you get on with it.

watching with interest:default_norty:

I'll find out next weekend hopefully, stopping in town this weekend and can't be ar5ed dragging my trailer and rib out of the garden. (Trailer tyres well perished too)

The motor should turn up Friday.

45 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I'll find out next weekend hopefully, stopping in town this weekend and can't be ar5ed dragging my trailer and rib out of the garden. (Trailer tyres well perished too)

The motor should turn up Friday.

If you want to try it out on my dinghy ,it’s in the water next to my boat.

help yourself.

I’ll be around Saturday afternoon thru till sunday

• Like 1