Potential New Boat Advice Please.

ExSurveyor

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

Nice one, one of Duncan's old hirefleet - They were all nicely built boats.

I did the survey myself, first time I have had to abandon the car and get a boat to do a survey. Ferry Lane was in full flood. I thought it had been well maintained and certainly well built. The best clue was the sliding canopy was square with equal spacing, unlike two previous boats we had viewed.

It has had money spent wisely on it in the last four years.

The accommodation will suit growing grandchildren, 14 year old grandson is now 6' 3"

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Thought an update might be in order.

Finally after trying to get it moved from Horning to Brundall Gardens it has got as far as Brooms.

Being a bilge keel it needed to be lifted onto a trailer and lifted off. This proved difficult due to the constant flooding in Horning. The other option was to have it helmed down. After much delay and cancellation NYA stepped up and had it helmed down yesterday.

Part of the sale agreement was for some work to be done on the charging system locally and the owner paid for it. The alternator was changed and two new leisure batteries fitted.

Apparently when it was fired up yesterday the alternator light wouldn't go out. The local yard sent someone over to fiddle under the dash and it worked again, until about 2 hours from Brundall when the light came back on. The helm stopped at Brooms and found the shut off button for the engine wouldn't work so turned of the fuel supply.

The plan is for NYA to move it to their own workshop tomorrow and find and fix the problem for me.

I have had two previous trips up to get it ready for winter and ended up with it not being there. I did get other jobs done on Whitey and met a potential buyer for the Shetland so not entirely wasted.

The end part of this week should be third time lucky but I am not holding my breath.

I have to say, NYA have been superb throughout with regular updates.

• Like 11

It goes from bad to worse.

Looks like a faulty isolator has fried the new alternator, that is going off to Panks.

The radiator cap looks to have been stuck on with chemical metal in the past, that has blown off and because the engine battery went flat no warnings were noticed on the dash. That sounds like it could get expensive.

Awaiting a full report when the electrical side is repaired and the water topped up after the radiator cap housing is repaired.

I don't think it will be going on it's new mooring this side of the New Year.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Don't know nanni's, I know some of the bowman bmc radiator cap spigots were soldered in although the later ones were threaded, I do know a man with weld in aluminium rad cap spigots if it's any use (he's also a bloody good ali welder), they take a standard cap so plenty of pressure choices.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the Sheerline to BGM after a bit of pain in the wallet.

Tomorrow I need to fit a couple of mid cleats and have a general clean and tidy.

I have noticed six bags of sand on the port side, just ahead of the middle. These are under the bench area on top and around the water tank. The engine is in the rear starboard hatch and the fuel tank is under the floor at the front, next to the helm. Seems an odd place to put ballast. There is a hatch under the bow that I will investigate tomorrow.

When it is moored next to Whitey the front is a good six inches higher than the rear, I can't decide if this is a design feature or bad ballast. When helming the boat it did feel as though the bow was skittish.

Hopefully the photo will load as I am on steam powered dial up connection at the moment.

IMG-20231229-WA0001.jpg

• Like 7

Kate,

The view is looking towards the river, Whitey is on the front just out of view on the right.Β 

The marina is set out with floating pontoons and fingers, the entrance to the river is off to the left.

It is a quiet big marina, about 160 berths of varying sizes but feels small and friendly.

Screenshot_20240103_180127_com.google.earth.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, floydraser said:

On what3words:Β ///swing.tripled.brilliant

The Owl's there showing it's white roof, I must have been onboard.

It was over two years ago as my little Broom Scorpio is on its mooring.

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

A good run up and a ski ramp..... :default_biggrin:

You had me coughing on my apple there, Smoggy.Β 
Β 

I can see a walkway in front of the blue canopy boat now. I thought before it was just a narrow dyke up to the back corner.Β 
Looks a nice little spot. I didn’t know about it. I don’t know the south very well (yet!)

Well well. I just looked it up on Google maps and I must have nearly stumbled on it last year on a drive round. I took the dog for a walk in Brundall Countryside Park just over the railway line.Β 

• 1 month later...

In line with successive Governments over the years, I have finally downsized my navy by one third.

The Shetland, White Knight, has gone off the Broads to rivers new.

The Sheerline 740 will take on the White Knight name at Easter with appropriate superstitious ceremony and champagne.

Β 

Β 

• Like 5