Potential New Boat Advice Please.

ExSurveyor

If it’s a Siesta you’re after then rather than waiting for one to come up for sale I would have a nose about and leave a calling card with expression of interest. I think I saw one last weekend which was a Haines fit out and looked to have been private from new. If of interest I’ll double check and pm you.

• Thanks 1

Why would anyone want to listen to me  - but I actually have a view!

Step onto a Siesta or an Ensign and they move about like large day boat!  Which of course they would as that really is what they are - with the greatest of respect!

The Hampton Safari group, and the Calypso,  carry a wider beam and with I suspect a heavier lay up, will behave very differently - I know where my preference would lay!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Why would anyone want to listen to me  - but I actually have a view!

Glad to hear it.

The siesta is really only going to be used as a day boat and once a year as an accommodation block for grandchildren, the trouble is the grandsons keep growing, one is 6' 2" at 14 and the 12 year old is catching him up. They no longer fit easily into the shetland.

I would love a calypso again but at 28' it gets expensive to moor and toll.

We nearly had a Hampton 12 years but opted for the Calypso.

We are keeping the Topliner as it is idea for how we use it.

The search continues.

If it is mainly for grandkids once a year would it not be cheaper to hire a boat to tie up alongside and also hire a day boat when needed, rather than buying one with all the associated running costs?

If you hire a boat for the week or two the cost would mainly met by the interest paid on the money saved from not buying.

paul

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Having spent 10 days onboard I seem to have acquired another boat.

Having looked at a few over priced rough boats I found a Sheerline 740, sliding canopy. 1988 model.

It has everything on my wish list except being one foot longer.

It has a bilge keel apparently, it does feel very stable.

It is going into Boulter's for some minor works I found doing the inspection and should be ready mid November.

Late October appears to be a good time to find the early bargains, or at least realistic sellers.

Late October is a rubbish time to sell a Shetland family four so rather than it looking stale on a brokage site over winter I will keep hold of it until the Spring and then sell it, hopefully.

IMG_20231025_125125.jpg

IMG_20231025_124928.jpg

IMG_20231025_124920.jpg

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

Having spent 10 days onboard I seem to have acquired another boat.

Having looked at a few over priced rough boats I found a Sheerline 740, sliding canopy. 1988 model.

It has everything on my wish list except being one foot longer.

It has a bilge keel apparently, it does feel very stable.

It is going into Boulter's for some minor works I found doing the inspection and should be ready mid November.

Late October appears to be a good time to find the early bargains, or at least realistic sellers.

Late October is a rubbish time to sell a Shetland family four so rather than it looking stale on a brokage site over winter I will keep hold of it until the Spring and then sell it, hopefully.

IMG_20231025_125125.jpg

IMG_20231025_124928.jpg

IMG_20231025_124920.jpg

Nice boat and don't forget Garry at Sheerline is at the end of a 'phone for anything Sheerline.  Enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1